Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

what engine for ziroli corsair?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

what engine for ziroli corsair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:51 AM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what engine for ziroli corsair?

hi, whjat is the perfered engine for the ziroli corsair 2 stroke? 4 stroke? and what size? thank you
Old 06-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: what engine for ziroli corsair?

I personally wouldn't fly any giant warbird with anything but a gas engine. You need rock solid relibility and power if you want to keep your knees from knocking while flying an airplane that you have at least $1500 to $2000 invested.

My Ziroli P-51 flies great with a 4.2 Sachs but would do OK with a 3.2. I'd say nothing smaller than a 3.2 Sachs or a G-62. Nothing bigger than a 5.8 Sachs or equivilant.

Highflight

Originally posted by highflyer353535
hi, whjat is the perfered engine for the ziroli corsair 2 stroke? 4 stroke? and what size? thank you
Old 06-18-2003, 11:47 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

I have a GT80 in mine. It fits exactly within the cowling if you use shortened plugs and plug boots obtained from CH Ignitions.

If you don't want any holes in the cowl I would go with a twin, either the GT80, or similar....

If you use a Sachs 4.2, or similar single gasser then you'll have a large cutout on the bottom of the cowl to accommodate the head.

I had one Corsair using a Sachs 4.2. To fit the engine I also had to offset it from center so as to minimize the protruding head at the bottom. This of course means that you cannot use a dummy radial up front.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I started my Ziroli Corsair I had the same question as to size. My two previous Corsairs used Sachs 3.7s. I had a new but unused Brison 5.8 and used it in the new Corsair.

I have never been sorry about the engine choice. It pulls the plane very well. I like it much better than the 3.7s. I did have to offset the engine up about a half inch to clear the head to keep from cutting a large hole in the cowl. Most people don't notice the offset. I run a Zinger 24x12 prop and occasionally a Menz 26x10 standard. I like the Zinger best on this plane.

The ZDZ80 would also be an excellent choice. I have one of these engines and it is first class.

Ken

P.S. If you want to build a 3 piece wing for your Corsair, e-mail me and I'll send you the "How To" photos.