Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

zdz 80 will not even cough

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

zdz 80 will not even cough

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Ewok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zdz 80 will not even cough

How do I know if the Ignition is OK. I have cranked this engine and lost 10 # in the effort and not even a cough. should I send the enging back to RCS?
I can not wait to get this puppy going...
it does have a bing carb. I have chocked it till fuel gets in the carb, the flipped with the ingnition and choke on 2-3 time, take the choke off and still nothing!
PLEASE HELP
Old 12-29-2002, 10:43 PM
3wExtra

Default I had one...

then I replaced it with a 3w
Old 12-29-2002, 10:49 PM
Rob Kelly

Make sure you have good spark. Take plug out and see if it sparks. You don't have to flip it fast to check, just pull prop through past the magnet in the hub. Be carefull re-installing the plug as I have had some trouble getting a good seal between the head/plug/cap clamp combo. Mine likes to be fairly wet and about three clicks of throttle. Also make sure you orient the prop so as you flip the prop the magnet passes the pick up at the fastest part of the flip.

Good luck,
Rob
Old 12-29-2002, 10:52 PM
Old RC Aviator
My Feedback: (9)

I wouldn't mess with it. Send it back. Any tampering and it voids your warrentee. Be smart and get professional help.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:01 PM
Barts

Not quite sure what FC26 is talking about. The 80 is a great running engine. I'm sure you got the engine from RC Showcase. Call Mike Dooley at RC Showcase and he will be more than happy to help you with your engine. But, if you do need extra nose weight and you don't want to use lead put a 3W in there. I am just kidding. I am using the new 3W 100 in my Krill 33% Staudacher.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Do some more checking before you send it back.Make sure the plug looks some what clean. If it is black and wet looking it may be fouled. Find another plug any plug that is nice and clean. Hold the ignition cap on the plug and hold the side of the plug against the side of the motor, hold everything snug so it makes good contact. In a dim light turn the ign. on and slowly turn the prop past the sensor a few times. If you get a spark your plug is probably fouled . If it sparks with your plug, it will run. If all else fails call RCS.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:14 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Mine has been nothing but a joy to run..

This is how mine starts everytime.
I pull the prop through ten times with the choke on, Ign off, barrel open.
Close the throttle and turn the ign on.
Flip usually 5 times to get it to pop.
Take the choke off and flip maybe 5 more times and she's running.
This has worked EVERY time.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:25 PM
augiep38

If you ground the stock throttle arm off and used the supplied ball link / wheel collar assembly, you need to make sure that the butterfly on the carb is opening in the right direction.

Todd
Old 12-29-2002, 11:27 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Very good point Todd.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:32 AM
Ewok

Default I will try that

again.
Thank you for the hint on the spark plug, the engine is brand new (but bought it in swap meet, it was in its box, no fuel had ever gone though until now) and completley stock. I have not changed anything. if I can not get it to run I will call RCS. I just get quite a bit frustrated when I flip and flip and flip and nothing....
Old 12-30-2002, 01:40 AM
Ewok

Default is there somewhere a manual

for both the engine and ignition?
Old 12-30-2002, 01:45 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

RCS
Old 12-30-2002, 01:49 AM
Ewok

Default is it online?

I can not find it...
Old 12-30-2002, 01:51 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

rcshowcase.com
Old 12-30-2002, 02:36 AM
Ewok

Default sorry, but I know the

address for the website, I just can not find the page where the manuals are.
I have checked the ignition, everything seams to be OK. it sparks just as it does my lawn mower... I will try agan tomorrow
Old 12-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Ewok - Sometimes they come with needles maladjusted, and that can REALLY create starting problems. Open the Low about 1 1/2 and the high about 1 1/4, make sure you have fresh gas, that it is not flooded; go to high idle trim, choke on, ignition on, flip until short run. Choke off, ignition on, flip till run, usually just a few more.
Many "new" have ignition improperly set. Be sure sensor "flat" is parellel to the radius of the hub, and that at TDC the magnet is 6mm center to center of sensor, with sensor CCW from magnet. Looking from the front, the sensor should be 6 mm to the right of the magnet WHEN THE PISTON is at TDC.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:53 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Ewok

I don't have a ZDZ80, but I do have a 40. On my first start when new it was a bear. Some of the carbs have a hole in the choke butterfly that needs to be closed up. I had to give mine a boost to start the first time. I can't remember if I gave it a shot of gas in the carb, or a bit of starter fluid. After the first start it has started easy ever since. Tom
Old 12-30-2002, 02:54 AM
Bob Pastorello

Default From ZDZ Site

directions for use

INSTALLATION OF THE IGNITION UNIT

1. Before installing the ignition, read the instructions carefully.
2. Make sure that batteries cannot be connected while installing the ignition.
3. When placing the ignition into the model, choose the position preventing mechanical damage of electric unit or cables during operation. The ignition and all parts that are connected to it ( engine including the batteries and cables must be placed as far as possible ( at least 25 cm) from the radio set and all it's parts ( batteries, locator, cables etc.) Fix cables well whenever they lead through the model. The guarantee doesn't include mechanical damage of ignition or cables.
4. Distance between electrodes on spak plug UR 17 must be 0.35 mm

INSTALATION OF SENSOR

The basic adjustment of the preignition is set up by the producer of the engines. This adjustment is 0,1-0,3 mm before the top dead centre of the piston. If you are adjusting the preignition once more it is necessary to adjust the engine according to the following points:

1. Adjust the engine so as to the piston was 0,1 - 0,3 mm before the top dead centre.
2. Move the holder of the sensor at maximum in sense of turn over of the propeller.
3. Then, move the holder of the sensor when the ignition is switched on as far as the spark springs.
4. Fix the holder of the sensor in this position and the ignition is set up.
5. The engine is prepared to run after the backward screw on of a spark plug.

You can also use quick setup as shown on picture.

Distances are measured from center of magnet to the center of sensor. Position of piston is exactly in TDC. Distances are 6 mm for 120 and 160 engines and for other engines see below:

Measure A

40 RV-L - 7 mm
60 RV - 6 mm
80 RV - 6 mm
80 B2RV-L - 6 mm

All the other modes of run are controlled by the microprocessor in dependence on the revolutions of the engine. The spark ignition happens after the magnetic field leaves the sensor. There is a safety fuse installed in the ignition PCI, that switches off the device after one minute of inactivity. For the recovery of the function it is necessary to switch the power supply off and reconnect it in about few second.

BASIC INFORMATION

· Ignition and pre-ignition are controlled by the processor Intel MCS 51
· In-built reversible protection against crossed poles
· Increased spark energy
· Power source 4-5 pieces NiCd / NiMh batteries (4.8 or 6 V)
· Power source cable attached by JR connector
· Current consumption at rest for all kinds 50 mA
· Guarantee 2 years

HALL SENSOR

Hall sensor is extremely accurate frequency sensor. To assure the proper operation, placing a magnet on movable part of the engine is essential. Sensors are produced in two versions (blue and black) for different polarity of the magnet. If the polarity is incorrect, the sensor doesn't react. It's possible to tune fine pre-ignition by sliding the sensor. Sensor must be placed in fixing belt diagonally upwards. The sensor is outstanding in it's great range of working temperatures (-40 °C to + 150°C)
Ewok

Default Thank you

I will reset everything as you said. first i will fully close all the needles and the reopen them. I will let you know if I get lucky. thank you!
Bob Pastorello

Default And Setup Instructions from ZDZ

directions for use

Directions for using of ZDZ Model Engines.

(Please read this carefuly before using the engine)

ZDZ two-stroke gasoline engines are intended for large models and offer excellent power to weight ratios. Before being shipped from the factory, each ZDZ engine is tested and adjusted. As a result, there is rarely need for the user to make much in the way of adjustments. In general, they require only some minor carburetor adjustments that take into consideration the propellers and mufflers being used.

FUEL

We recommend the use of a good quality super (93-Octane) gasoline and a synthetic oil (specifically formulated for high performance two stroke engines) in 50:1 ratio. Make sure that the mixture is filtered before use.

BASIC SPECIFICATION

All ZDZ engines are equipped with diaphragm carburetors made by BING or Walbro. (These carburetors are adjusted with two mixture screws that are marked with the letter "H" (for the adjustment of High speed) and by the letter "L" (for the adjustment of idle and the acceleration from idle to full throttle). Basic adjustment - Both mixture adjustment screws are opened 540 degrees (1.5 turns) from the fully closed (stop) position.)

ZDZ engines are equipped with commonly sized ball bearings. The piston con rod is equipped with SKF needle bearings. All ZDZ engines are equipped with BRISK UR 17 spark plugs.

ADJUSTMENT OF THE ENGINE

After fitting the engine into the model and after installation of the ignition, you can start the engine. (Note: Installation of the ignition must be in accordance with the manufacturer's directions.)

1. Switch on the ignition, close the choke and suck gas into the intake of the carburetor by flipping the propeller over counter-clockwise. As soon as the engine is wet, it should start to run, but will stop due to the rich mixture. Next, open the choke and start the engine again by flipping as before.

Note: The time it takes to draw gas into the carburetor depends on the length of the fuel feed to the carburetor.

Safety Notes: In the event that you adjust the engine in your model, be sure to switch on the receiver and the transmitter before starting it. It is best if the transmitter is set to "idle". WARNING: IF THE THROTTLE IS SET TO ANY SPEED ABOVE AN IDLE, THE MODEL MAY MOVE IMMEDIATELY THE ENGINE IS STARTED. AT ALL TIMES, SECURE THE MODEL AND/OR HAVE A HELPER HOLD THE MODEL SECURELY WHILE STARTING THE ENGINE.

2. Let the engine run for about 30 seconds on idle to allow it to warm up and then advance the throttle slowly.

3. Keeping well away from the propeller, adjust the engine to maximum rpm with the mixture adjustment screw marked with an "H".

4. Reduce the throttle and set the idle mixture with the mixture adjustment screw marked "L". Then use the same screw to adjust for a smooth transition from idle to full throttle. A well-adjusted engine will have a stable idle and will not surge up and down after the throttle is closed. If it accelerates slightly when the throttle is closed, the engine is lean. Open the mixture screw "L" a little and check the idle again. On the other hand, if it slows down after the throttle is closed, the engine is rich. In this case, close the mixture screw a little and check the idle again.

Note: If you change propeller diameter and/or pitch, the engine will have to re-adjusted.

Note: To reduce noise, install an engine intake filter and use a suitable expansion muffler.

ZDZ MODELMOTOR s.r.o. guarantees its engines for a period of 30 months, provided any damage is not caused by tampering with the engine, by the use of unsuitable fuels or by the crash of a model.

THE ENGINES PRODUCED BY ZDZ MODELMOTOR, s.r.o.. ARE NOT INTENDED FOR POWERING ANY MANNED MACHINERY OR MANNED MEANS OF TRANSPORT. THE COMPANY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY IF THE ENGINES ARE USED FOR THIS PURPOSE.

THE ZDZ ENGINES ARE INTENDED ONLY FOR POWERING RADIO CONTROLLED MODELS, MAINLY MODEL AIRCRAFT, IN WHICH NO PEOPLE ARE TRANSPORTED.

ZDZ MODELMOTOR, s.r.o.

Dalibor Smejkal
Old 12-30-2002, 03:01 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

OK try this. I just checked my ZDZ80 .Both low and high mixture neddles nee to be 2 turns out.Gently turn them in untill they just stop, be easy, the back out 2 turns. Notice where they were set when doing this.Choke on Ignition off, flip untill you get fuel at the choke plate. If I remember correctly zdz says to turn ign. on choke closed throttle open flip until it pops. Then close throttle open choke and it will start. If it still does not start remove the spark plug and check it for fuel(wet), If it is not wet you dont have any fuel in the cyl. If it is soaking wet and driping out of the cyl. its flooded. If the plug is dry ,choke hell out iof it untill it fires.

I see aerobob has replied also. He helped me out the other day! With all this info that engine will run and good .
Old 12-30-2002, 03:17 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Um, I think that the ZDZ80 ignition shuts itself down after 2 minutes if it hasn't started.

Could this be your problem? You need to recycle the power to get it to re-awaken........

As far as not having to adjust the timing....Phooey! I had a brand new ZDZ80 that was very hard to start, and when it did start it would only do so at half throttle or more.
The timing wasn't even close to what it should have been set to.
I adjusted the hall sensor to 6mm as per the instructions and WALA, easy hand starts every time.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:26 AM
Bob Pastorello

Default Ignition Time out

branded is correct; I should have mentioned that, ewok. IF the magnet has not moved past the sensor for about 90 seconds, the ignition self-shutoffs. Prevents us from leaving the ignition "hot" unattended in the pits.

Also, during times of hard starting, while resting our arms, we get to forget about it, causing us to crank more... :stupid:
BTDT, believe me!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:37 AM
Ewok

Default THANK YOU THANK YOU

all of you I will try either tomorrow night or the day after I can not wait... I learne a lot from all of you I just hope it works!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

Plug your Ignition modual into your computer and download all of these replies and it will start by itself.LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.