Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Reed valve on RCGF 20cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
spasmatic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reed valve on RCGF 20cc engine

I was removing the rear mounted carb on my RCGF 20cc engine and when I pulled the carb off, the reed valve fell off and I did not see what position is was mounted. I have been doing some searches on this but could not find anything. If anyone has any information about how it is attached I would appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reed valve on RCGF 20cc engine

The reed faces to the inside of the crank case. You want the screw on the opposite side of the openning to the crank case. If the screw is on the same side as the crank case openning it might run, just not very efficiently. FYI- If you need to replace the reed, the one from the rcgf 15cc works. I've done it.
Edwin
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM
CGAV8R

Hope this helps.
Aaron D.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
spasmatic
My Feedback: (4)

If I understand this correctly, the reed valve spacer will be placed against the motor and the reed and its retaining screw will be on the outside. I don't really understand how reed valves operate and I thought the reed would be on the inside next to the crankcase so it would open to the inside of the motor. If I mount it as my opening statement, the reed will be outside against the back of the spacer and I wasn't sure it could operate that way. I thought it would have to flex inward to allow the fuel charge to enter from the engine vac.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The reed itself and the retaining screw must be towards the crankshaft
Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: spasmatic

If I understand this correctly, the reed valve spacer will be placed against the motor and the reed and its retaining screw will be on the outside. I don't really understand how reed valves operate and I thought the reed would be on the inside next to the crankcase so it would open to the inside of the motor. If I mount it as my opening statement, the reed will be outside against the back of the spacer and I wasn't sure it could operate that way. I thought it would have to flex inward to allow the fuel charge to enter from the engine vac.
On the bold, you have it right! Further, the screw on that plate should be located so it's furthest from the spark plug. As mentioned earlier, it'll probably start/run either way, but it'll be off a ton if installed upside down.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Derek53

The reed valve on my 15cc RGCF has broken, can anyone tell me what material is used as I want to make a new one?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a long time since I had mine open but the .15 and .20 cc are the same. Don't know what the material is.
Edwin
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Can anyone say how thick is the fiber material that the reed for the RCGF 20 is made from.