Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL pershing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:16 PM
JerB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL pershing problem

hi guys

I seem to be having a issue with the first road wheel (or at least I think its the road wheel ) behind one of the tracks, the problem is there seems to be binding in the spring cause Im hearing a clicking noise but dont see anything? also do you guys find the pershing tank slower then the Tiger?

thanks for any help with the raod wheel problem
Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HL pershing problem

Remove the track and spin the road wheel to see if it spins freely without making any clicking noise. Also check both tracks, all road wheels, and all return rollers for plastic flash and remove them with an x-acto knife.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI:

The roadwheels are the wheels in contact with the road surface (with tread under them of course). The first "roadwheel" at the front of the tank (with a rubber tire like the rest) is actually the idler. The 5 small wheels above the roadwheels are the track return rollers. The toothed wheel at the rear is of course the drive sprocket.

As for clicking noise, as long as there is no binding which would slow operation, some noise is normal and expected.

The Pershing may be a bit slower than the Tiger I. It could be because the Tiger has motors in the front while the Pershing has the motors in the rear (i.e., rear wheel drive). I'm not sure why this makes any difference but it most surely has to do with a front versus rear weight bias. The gearboxes in the Pershing and Tiger, though, are the same as is the motors.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
swathdiver

The clicking noise is common with new Pershings. It's the tracks rubbing between the wheels, especially the idler because on some tanks the idler is set in a little closer to the hull then the road wheels.

The reason that the Tiger is faster is because of the gearing. While the motors, electronics and gearboxes are the same, take a look at the sprockets.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM
shadopilot

Both of my HL Pershings are much slower than both of my HL Tigers.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM
shadopilot

and my T-34 can smoke my HL tanks and my Hobby Engine Leopard in a 1/4 mile drag!!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Tank4fun

By comparing the sprocket size between the Pershing(small sprocket) and the Tiger(large sprocket), I would think the Pershing would be the fastest and the Tiger the quickest. An easier way to understand this, for example, is how a 10- speed bicycle gearing works, or the rearend gear ratio between a drag racing car and an open road racer.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 AM
JerB

cheers for all the tips guys
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: SurfVBer

By comparing the sprocket size between the Pershing(small sprocket) and the Tiger(large sprocket), I would think the Pershing would be the fastest and the Tiger the quickest. An easier way to understand this, for example, is how a 10- speed bicycle gearing works, or the rearend gear ratio between a drag racing car and an open road racer.
You might realize that by installing more powerful motors. My Pershing ran twice as fast as Tiger with Graupner Speed400s until she went offroad and blew a transistor. The motors exceeded the capacity of the board.