Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Incoming!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
snakestretcher52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incoming!

HL KV1 from Howe's Models (UK). Metal tracks/sprockets/gearboxes plus free extra 7.2v battery. Anyone else have this model here; comments? Likes/dislikes? This one is the BB version so I'll be upgrading to the battle system at some point. Can't wait to do battle with my Tiger! I'm such a kid!!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
bowlman

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: Incoming!

The only problem had with mine is it came with a front idler mount broken it was over tighten .
I'm switching it over to Asiatam lower hull and ether Tamiya or EL-mod electronics .

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM
BiggTony

I absolutely love the KV-1. It's my favorite tank out of the the PZIII and Tiger, the size is massive compared to the two others that I have.<div></div><div>Metal version</div><div>Pro's:</div><div>Climbs over most obstacles I've thrown at it with in reason. I've gone up steps with ease. Each step being 4-4.5 inches high, and even parking tire blocks.Rear drive and back heavy seems to contribute to some of this ability, (I can only assume the Pershing will be this way.) Lots of room inside the hull if you intend to add after marketcomponents. The suspension is pretty sturdy.</div><div></div><div>Con's:</div><div>Audio is quite muffled,even on the highest volume setting, This is because there are only two vents with 3 or so small slots on each side of the turret to allow sound to escape.</div><div>Back to the suspension, as said...it's sturdy until you get to the last suspension arm before the drive sprocket. Because it is so rear heavy, there is inappropriate support to compensate for the weight of the gearbox. If you kick it into high gear, you can see the KV depress almost all the way down, then spring up.....doesn't look so good. Also, counter weight is recommended for the front end. Really improves its ability to climb and prevents the silly bounce when the front end finally touches the ground when climbing over things.</div><div>Tail light is being used as an exhaust.</div><div></div><div>But thebiggestcon in my book, is the gawd awful head light! I don't care that it was never used in actual war. The fact that there is noafter marketheadlight to at least correct the headlight sucks!</div><div>I've ordered and replaced it with the Tamiya lens cover.......but I noticed that the Tamiya headlights are smaller than HL's by a significant amount. So, I'm having tocustomizea new headlight that's almost done.</div>
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
snakestretcher52

Tony, thanks for that; most informative. Did you need to paint your sprockets and idlers or have you left them as they are? I believe mine will be bare metal according to the dealer's web shots www.howesmodels.co.uk If you did paint them what did you use-Tamiya, Humbrol?
As far as the sound goes I'm thinking 'quite muffled' might be ok; I find the stock sound in my HL Tiger a bit shrill at higher volumes. The lack of a grill on the KV might act as a treble attenuator!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 PM
BiggTony

I haven't painted the KV yet. Not until I finally correct the headlight, vent covers and convert the exhaust back to being a tail light. I may even hold off until I get the asiatam hull.<div></div><div>I have started on my PIII, (as far as priming isconcerned) I haven't used Tamiya paints since I was 16 years old, which was17 years ago. They're just acrylic paints mixed with 90-91% isopropyl alcohol, glycerin,fragrance, water and maybe somenegligibleadditives. If you know how to mix color hues, then they're pointless. But if and when you do paint the metal parts, be sure to use automotive primer or one suited for metal. I useAcrylicinks, tubeacrylics, oils and enamels of various artist brands.</div>
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
snakestretcher52

Thank you, you can tell I'm a novice at this!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
BiggTony

Well please don't take my statement the wrong way. That's just my opinion regarding Tamiya paints.<div>They're overpriced for those who know how, yet worth their weight for those who don't. There's plenty of resources for modeling and even these guys here can steer you in the right direction. We all have to learn somewhere and there's always room to learn more! I have bought a set of Bragdon Enterprise pigments that I can't wait to incorporate into my projects. Never used dusting techniques, before so this will be the first. Good luck and happy tanking!</div>