Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage SS break in problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Savage SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage SS break in problems

After two days of trying I finally got my engine to fire up, but as soon as i disconect the glow ignitor the engine stalls. It doesn't matter how long I leave the ignitor on for, be it 10 seconds or 5 minutes, as soon as i take it off the engine stalls. It also doesn't matter how far I open the throttle, it still cuts out when i take it off.

Leaving the glow ignitor on is out of the question because the battery ran out before it got through half a tank, so does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:29 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Savage SS break in problems

The problem you describe is one of a failed glow plug !.. what plug are you using ? maybe try a hotter plug(MC59 or somthing like it).

It is also possible that you are way rich and need to lean it out some...try leaning the low end a bit....since your still breaking it in don`t lean too much and rememberc the adjustments you made so you can revert if required.

What fuel ? what plug ? .25 I assume ! ??

TM
Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM
ShOzz

sounds like abad plug, easy fix only cost ya 4-8 bucks depending on what ya get.

get a few as sooner or later you will need another .
Old 11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
JWash1

Yeah, you definitely need a new Glo Plug. Get A McCoy MC8[:-]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Savage SS

Thank for your help everyone!

So, i replaced the stock glow plug with a hot one and it fired up eventually and stayed running for a while but kept cutting out after between about 5 and 30 seconds, but my new problem now is that I'm unable to apply any throttle without the engining quiting on me regardless of whether or not the glow plug ignitor is still attached. The same thing happened when i put the old glow plug back in.

I'm running the standard Nitro Star .25 engine with 25% Tornado fuel.

Your help is once again very much appreciated.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm thinking about investing in a roto start because both my hands are covered in blisters from the pull starter. Ouch!!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:07 PM
TheMachine

Get your self a glove first of all !.... Next I`m going to give you the easy way to get your engine up and running so you can drive it... But you must remember to revert partially or completely the needles after you have it cleared out.

Screw your HSN in 1 full turn, and your LSN 1/2 turn, start the truck up and try to clear the engine out(hold the wheels off the ground and rev it some...once you have it cleared out try drive if for a few feet, then start opening you needles back to there original positions to the point where it will runs well enough to complete break-in.

Its very common for a new engine to do what you describe... they load up and the crankcase fills with oil when they are not revved a little. This essentially creates a separate problem for you !, the first being its running rich for break-in and the 2nd is that it has been idleing to long and oil has built up in the crankcase, so you need to clear the oil and get it back to just one issue - break-in.

The Force .25 engine is know for its difficulty in starting and breaking in...its large displacement and high compression causes this, sorry it ain`t going to be easy and a rotostart won`t help you ! Get a glove and keep tring, make sure you have a high capacity glow ignitor and keep it well charged.

Also make sure your fuel is fresh.

TM
Old 11-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Savage SS

TheMachine - You are the man!!

I adjusted the needles like you suggested and it fired up, i revved it a few times then shut it off and reset the needles back to factory settings. I fired it up again and it ran without stalling, so I just set it on a block and let one tank run through it. Game on!!

Cheers for your help!!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:00 PM
TheMachine

Thanks, glad I could help, your going to enjoy that new Savage they are a great truck

I`d suggest you get into driving the truck for break-in asap... I`m a non-believer in the "ideling thru tanks" method...maybe do it for 1/2 or 1 tank and then start driving it gently(on smooth flat tarmac) and get some road time on it. Try for a full litre of fuel as the break-in then take it in the dirt and see what she can do... drive it a little easy until you`ve used another liter then give it hell

TM
Old 11-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Savage SS

Cheers, I had planned to start driving in figure of eights for the next 2 or 3 tanks and then gently increase the speed for a few more tanks after that.