Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Life span of 2.3 comp air

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Stuart D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life span of 2.3 comp air

I have a comp air 2.3 with a zdz 80 , she has 80 + flights on it in only three months of flying and at this rate I am going to rack up
about 300 odd flights by the end of 12 months . Remember Australia dose not stop flying over winter . At the moment the only sign of wear are some rub marks on the fuse and thats about it .

I've made the oil ratio @ 32:1 using MOTUL full synth , to keep engine wear to a min as engine parts & service are an issue here .

My question is just how long will this air frame last , at this time she still looks new and baring dumb thumbs it should last a very long time . I have never herd of wear problems with these planes but I suppose pilot error takes care of any age related issues .

Stu .
Old 05-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Life span of 2.3 comp air

It should last until the first viscious very high speed high rate deflection snap or solid ground impact
Old 05-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Fly-guy

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

It should last until the first viscious very high speed high rate deflection snap or solid ground impact

What he said.

I know of a few guys with over 1000 flights on Comp ARF planes and hey are still going strong.

Just a question, what servos are you running, and how many to each surface. Im looking at buying a 2.3m or something around there, most likely with a DA50.

Fly-guy
Old 05-14-2005, 10:05 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I've got around 100 hours on my 2.2 (400+ flights). besides the little cosmetic wear marks and a little ding or scratch it is good as new if not better because of the care I have given it. I have the DA50/KS1060 white. Wax on wax off. !~)

Joe
Old 05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I don' thave a CA plane but I have over 450 flights on my H9 Cap.
Keep it clean and make sure all your linkage is tight.
Check your servos and replace gears when worn.
The CA should last you a very long time.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 AM
Stuart D

I know of a few guys with over 1000 flights on Comp ARF planes and hey are still going strong.

Just a question, what servos are you running, and how many to each surface. Im looking at buying a 2.3m or something around there, most likely with a DA50.

Fly-guy
[/quote]

fly-guy I've gone for the KISS setup and by all accounts it works great .
I used Hitec all around , 5945 on the Ali & Ele one pre surface
,5475 on the throttle , cheepo digi
,5735 on rudder , thats the 1/4 scale digi @19 kg
,Flytestrom regulator switches 2 off (made in Aus) 1 for Ing , 1 for flyte pack
,Battery 5 cell 2400 NiCa flyte pack & 2 S 1500 LiPo for Ign
,Ing cut switch "SETCO"relay (made in Aus)

If the Hitec 5995 titanium was around at the time I would of used them all around , @ 24 kg in a std sized servo they are very good .
I am going to change out 5735 on the rudder as the gear train has too much slop , it will be repalced with a 5995 .I burnt out two 255MG on the throttle as they cannot take the vibration

Being in Brisbane you are in the same city as Ian Howard who is the rep for DA and also Comp Air . You could not find a nicer bloke to deal with . Go & have a chat with him and he will point you in the right direction . I would love to have a DA but I wanted a larger engine and they didnt have the 75cc , so I went for the ZDZ 80.

The Da 50 + 2.3 comp = very happy customer

P.S. You will stop the flyte line with this plane

Stu.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Brad330l

Hey Stu,,
where did you get your flytestrom regulators and Lipos from and what kind of price are ya look'n at?
I'm running 2.3 with ZDZ80 twin and want lipos all round so will be needing three for my set up. (two for RX)
Kind of made my mind up but still look'n.

Cheers

Brad.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Stuart D

Brad33L . Flytestrom are a bit of a pain to deal with directly so I had a local shop get them for me . If you contact rojshohhies.com.au
he can have them in your hands in about three days . You could also call Ian Howard in Brisbane(I assume you know him through comp air) . As for the LiPo all reg switches have a constant current drain so they have to be dissconected when not in use and I have not sorted a plug keeper/binder/holder...but when I do i will go straight over to the LiPo . Also you need to be able to remove these batteries for charging find a new place to put them . Flytestrom switches are "saftey switches" in that if the switch is to fail it can only be in the ON position , only need to have one switch .
The batteries ca be anything 2 S , it just depends on how much the ign pulls , I use 50mha per 10 min so my 1500mha is total over kill .
Sorry for the poor spelling etc , its 1.00am here and i have been playing water polo tonight so I am a bit stuffed .

Stu
Old 10-02-2005, 07:37 PM
excelpoint

I know this is an old thread but in case people are looking at it DO NOT USE THE FLYTESTROM REG switch 2 of us down here in Victoria Australia have had the mosfet overheat causing the loss of my Comp ARF 2.3. the other one was picked up before flying.Again DO NOT USE THEM.I have used these switches in the past without issue so maybe it was a bad batch.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Brad330l

Thanks for the Heads Up man, I am still flying around with Nicads and no problems so wont be getting Lipos for a while, especially not those ones!

Regards
Brad
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 AM
excelpoint

Hey,Brad.These arent lipos just a regulator switch used to regulate voltage to 5.8v.I had Nimh on mine at the time when it went in.I now use lipolys on my new comp arf 2.3 with a Power Box sensor switch
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Brad330l

Yes quite right Excel i forgot to put 'Regs ' in there.
Have you got any pictures of you 2.3?

Brad
Old 10-03-2005, 04:18 AM
excelpoint

here ya go.The JR was killed by the REG switch.The other one was a plain white one which I painted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24617.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	333249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61542.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	333250  
Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Brad330l

How did you determine that it was the Reg? What did the model do in the air before it went in?
No doubt you did a post crash investigation. Just wondering
Sorry for your loss.

Your painted one looks the goods.

Brad
Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
excelpoint

I was halfway through an immelman when the plane just turned off.Like someone had turned the switch off in midair.After going through all the wreckage checking batttrys etc we found the regultor had a little hole burnt in it right where the mosfet chip sits,only the mosfet chip was gone,no other burnt or melted wiring was found,just this one spot.I showed a couple of uys who are pretty clued up when it comes to electronics and they also agreed it was the reg that failed.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Stuart D

Just to follow up on the claimed specifications of the FlyteStrom Regulated switch this quote comes direct form the company them selves . Max input voltage-----------10V
Out put voltage--------------5.8v=/- 0.1v
Output current @6vin--------5A continuous
16A for less than 5 seconds
standby current draw--------5mA
charge current---------------1A
This system cannot handle 10V input thus the system fails and you the customer loose your plane , They (flytestrom )Will not back you up .

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED