Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mini Dragonfly help

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mini Dragonfly help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 AM
still burnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Dragonfly help

After flying planes I thought I would give helicopter a try. I got a Mini Dragonfly so if I destroyed it learning to fly I wouldn't be out a lot. My problem is that for one the heli likes to drift left (I was told this is normal). Second is that I get it in the air (I'm not good at flying it yet but can keep it in a 5' area while trying to hover) the heli is smooth for 3-5 seconds then starts shaking, slamming the tail into the ground. The flybar paddles moved on me and I am not sure what pitch if any they should be at to start. Do I have a flybar out of place or wrong center of gravity or is it something else?
Thanks, any info will help.
Matt
Old 01-09-2005, 01:04 PM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Mini Dragonfly help

The Death Wobble.......

Tighten the blades until they barely move under their own weight when you tilt the heli on its side. Before you spin up the blades, advance them a little. Push the leading edge closer to the flybar. This should help.
As for the flybar, get the paddles as even as possible when the swash is level and trims on the radio centered. Measure each side to make sure they are the same length from the main shaft.

You can also search "death wobble", "tail bounce" etc to find more info.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Grassman

burnin, the center of gravity of these birds is extremely important. I have one and after attempting to move all of the electronics to the front and failing I had to add some weight to the front. The little added weight isn't a problem though because I am running on a 3s lipo...I don't know if it will work with the stock battery pack. Try to get the landing gear to set down evenly when the bird is lifted by the flybar paddles. Here is a site that talks about center of gravity.
http://home.earthlink.net~ibsniper/home.html

Jeff
Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
still burnin

Thanks for the info, I will give both a try.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

One last thing don't advance or retard throttle suddenly , it can shift the blades.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM
roofus4

ORIGINAL: Grassman

The little added weight isn't a problem though because I am running on a 3s lipo...
Jeff
Grassman, I noticed you are using a three cell Li-Po. I am new to both helis and electrics. Isn't the 3 cell Li-Po (11.1 volts) too much for the motor? Obviously not, if you are using one. Could you explain to me why it is not too much. Also, what capacity/brand Li-Po are you using and how long does it last.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-16-2005, 05:27 PM
clovus

just a thought, make sure your battery doesn't move when flying. Happened to me, but I solved it by using two rubber bands.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
clovus

Forgot to mention that when my battery gets low the heli shakes -once the battery is charged again it is fine.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

ROOFUS4--

To answer your 11.1 li-poly volt question. Yes it is a little hig however. when you advance the throttle is starts with 0.0 volts then the voltage increases as you advance the throttle. this is how you change altitude. so lets say at 3/4 throttle you might be only up to 8.4 volts. and so on. does this kinda help. Keep in mind this is for FP blades.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Grassman

Roofus4, I am using a Thunder Power 860 mah...fireplug explained how I can use one. I have never given it full throttle...that would most likely burn up the 3-in-1 board. I have not had any issues yet...be careful, however, to monitor you battery voltage because the voltage cutoff for the board is 5V. It lasts at least 20 minutes.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
roofus4

Thanks for the help guys. That really clears thinks up for me.

Rob