Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

removing tail boom?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

removing tail boom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing tail boom?

Pretty soon im going to be upgrading to a Carbon fiber tail boom. And i was curious how do i go about removing the tail boom. Can someone who has had experience removing a tail boom please explain to me the correct way of removing it.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 PM
puble23
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: removing tail boom?

ok, i know people are looking at my thread. Can someone answer my question
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 PM
ChopperMike

We need to know what kind of heli it is.

Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Dct5289

yeah, lol
Old 01-13-2005, 05:15 AM
acr1346

DeBonder for the CA used to hold it in.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
maxpf560

I HAVE A HONEY BEE AND I AM A NEWBEE AT HELI'S. WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY, ONE OF THE PARTS THAT I BROKE WAS THE BOOM AND I HAD TO REPLACE IT AND IT WAS A BIT OF A PAIN IN THE REAR. I DID NOT UPGRADE AS YOU ARE BUT STILL HAD TO REMOVE THE BROKEN BOOM AND WAS TOLD TO USE DE-BONDER, AS SOMEONE HERE IN THIS THREAD HAS ALREADY MENTIONED. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH TO USE AND THE BOOM WAS INSIDE OF A HOLLOW TYPE FITTING ON THE MAIN FRAME. I JUST KEPT ADDING THE STUFF AND PULLING AND TURNING THE BOOM TO NO AVAIL. THE BOOM THEN STARTED TO SPLINTER AND I WAS REMOVING IT IN STRANDS TIL I GOT MOST OF IT OUT, BUT NOT ENUF OUT TO ALLOW THE NEW ONE TO FIT IN THE HOLE SO I WENT AND GOT MY DRILL SET AND USED A DRILL BIT SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN THE HOLE AND REAMED THE HOLE TILL IT WAS CLEAR OF ALL THE SPLINTERS FROM THE ORIGINAL BOOM. REALLY WAS A PAIN!!!! THEN I USED THE SMALLEST AMOUNT OF CA GLUE TO INSTALL THE NEW BOOM, DIDN'T WANT TO GO OVER-BOARD AS I WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO THIS ALL OVER AGAIN IN THE FUTURE, I DID BUY 2 BOOMS. GOOD LUCK AND BE PATIENT.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One improvement that will help the next time that you need to remove the boom is NOT to glue it in. Make it a press fit. Slide it into the frame and see if it holds. If the boom does not press tightly in, remove the boom, and apply some CA where the boom would contact the frame. Spread the ca all the way around the end of the boom. DO NOT insert the boom. Instead, let the CA cure (be careful not to breath the fumes). After the CA has cured completely, press the boom into the frame to test the fit again. Repeat this until yo have enough cured CA build up to make a tight fit. Too tight? Sand off some of the cured CA and try again.
Back when I was in the crashy stage, I kept a spare boom with the motor, tail gear, tail rotor and wires ready to go. If I broke the boom, or prop, or motor, I could swap out in a matter of seconds and resume flying.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
maxpf560

Hi Vince. I wish I had read your post prior to replacing my boom as your way of doing it sounds great!!! I will keep this method in mind fot the next time and I am sure that there will be a next time. I actually was very stingy with the ca glue but still any amount of that stuff makes for quite a strong bond.