Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI MOTORS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM
HPISavageX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI MOTORS

I have a savage x. And i dont know if i should just buy anouther motor or rebuild the one i have. Any sugestions?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
benzzyo5

Default RE: HPI MOTORS

i would just upgrade
Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
(X)

Buy a new one, I've heard the Axial .28 Spec 1s is a gread engine for tuning/break-in etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
HPISavageX

Thanks[8D]
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Nathan9492

Buy a new engine, STS 28, or STS 30, both are Killer engines
Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HPISavageX

I have a savage x. And i dont know if i should just buy anouther motor or rebuild the one i have. Any sugestions?
Which engine do you have? the S25, K4.6, F4.1, or F4.6? If you have an F4.6 or K4.6, you might consider rebuilding it, that engine has an edge over the other stock engines.

If you really want a brand new engine, try an Axial .32 Spec 1S, an STS D30M, or if you can get it, the STS D28M 5port. These engines are great for bashing, but let me warn you, take care and have alot of patience when breaking in the STS engines. They have a tremdous pinch.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:24 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Axial. [8D]
Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM
BrandonFox28

Get the new Axial 28RR. It gets up to 35,000 rpm's. If you want more power and speed that is the way to go.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 PM
-SomeGuy-

Strange how a while ago all you heard was "get the sts, its the bomb" now its mostly "get the axial". My vote is for the axial as well.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 PM
black mamba

Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 AM
cheiro

The STS is a good engine just has a crapy back plate and pull start that let it down, if they change these it'll be great till then stay away.....
Old 07-22-2007, 12:07 PM
black mamba

I'd avoid the STSs simply because they are way too tempermental during break in. From what I have read, this is a very real issue. If you have the patience to deal with it, cool...I don't have the patience to babysit a engine for a gallon or so.[8D]
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Additionally, STS really needs to tighten up their quality control issues, especially with the carb. Too many of them have poorly machine LSN holes and leak air through there. I am not saying STS engine are bad, I'm just saying they just need to improve their materials and production quality to make great engines. The potentiol is there, why not tap into it and put great engine on the market to rival Rossis and OS?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The STS 28 3 port is not a problem to break in, as they do not have a very tight pinch. I do not have a problem with the pull starter on mine but like any pull starter you have to use it properly.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

I'd avoid the STSs simply because they are way too tempermental during break in. From what I have read, this is a very real issue. If you have the patience to deal with it, cool...I don't have the patience to babysit a engine for a gallon or so.[8D]
I agree here. My D28M 3port was a serous pain to break-in because it came with a fualty carb. The carb leaked air on the LSN such that I had to use an OS short plug to reduce the compresion ratio to compensate. During break-in, tuning was difficult. But once I got a properly machned carb and replaced the OS short with a long plug, it ran great.

I bet the tuning nightmares and the break-in nightmares are mostly due to faulty carbs. But with a properly machined carb, these engines run great and are very easy to tune.

I also have a D30M, and it came with a proerly machined carb. It presented no problems during break-in whatsoever. Of course, I put a rotostart on it (I dont like pullstarts), and it was very supringly easy to tune and break-in.

I too dont have the patience for 1gal break-in, after about half a gallon, I just ran it and no ill effects, the high pinch at operating temps were no longer there, just nomal running. I so far have pushed my D30M hard and it goes strong without any sort of high RPM blubbering from being too tight. My D30M is noy fully broken in well berfore the 1 gal mark.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have 4 STS engines and the only problem I had was with the RBmod one. I do not think it was to do with the engine but the modifications done to it. The STS 21 (3) port and all my STS engines gave been no problem on break in as long as I heated them with a heat gun on break in. Even the RBmods engine.

Being I race buggies I deal with high performance tight pinch engines and yet have seen one that runs well till at least 1 to 1 ½ gallons of fuel. Yes sports engine are different but do you put out the near the power.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

dont run hpi motors waist of money i bought the k4.6 Ho 8th tank through it i was doin a hill climb at an rcx show and the damn motor just froze and when it did snapped the crank and rod and cracked the block[:@]
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

That sucks...When you disassembled your K4.6, did you discover what caused the siezure? I never had an HO version of the K4.6, but I do know there is more linear area for the piston edges to catch onto a port edge. I do not know if this was the cause of the siezure, and I think it is highly unlikely. But the more probable causes I can think of is something larger getting into the combustion chamber, the engine could be extremely lean, the engine was being started without any sort of preheating and it was still very tight, or materials defects.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i sent it back to hpi and they said it was a bad batch from the company who makes their motors their was 200 recalls on motors and mine was on of those modles