Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation for 15 size twin

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Need recommendation for 15 size twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 01:44 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation for 15 size twin

I need some help. I am looking for a 15 size twin kit or ARF. So far I have only found TurnkeyRC's twin.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 02-25-2003, 12:19 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Default p-38

I built a P-38 from Model Airplane News plans. It has 52" wingspan. Not too many pieces to cut out and not that hard to build. It flew fast but not for long. The balsa in the elevator was too soft and caused a dramatic roll when applied.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:41 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Patrick:

Check here.

www.ne-aero.com

Haven't built the little twin, but the Twin-Air 45 is an excellent plane. Easy to build and everyonewho has bought any Northeast Aerodynamics kits raves about the high quality wood.

John either is now producing, or shortly will be selling a 15 size version of the same airframe.

Worth a look.

Good flying planes,
. All gains, no pains.

Bill.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:28 PM
rmeira

Default 0.15 Twin Plane..

I have a Plan for the p-38 mentioned above... e-mail me and i´ll send it to you (or anyone who´s intrested..).. actually that´s the kit i´m building right now and i´ll love to share some ideas..
tnks

Rodrigo
Old 03-02-2003, 02:27 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default p-38

Rodrigo, Have not seen a post from you in a while, how is your little P38 coming? I have a big twin boom trainer project working right now, you can see the work in progress at www.rcwarbirds.com

I also have pics posted in the twins forum under how to kit bash a twin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59581_939.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	36151  
Old 03-02-2003, 05:41 PM
kram-RCU

Default small twin

I have two Twin-Air .20's and I love 'em. I know they will fly with good .15's 'cause I power one of them with HP .21 four strokes, which don't have a lot of power. To make this plane really move, though, you should put .20 or .25 two strokes on it.

My only regret is I built them before the Twin-Air 40 came out. I think it would be an easier plane to see and work on, and probably at least as easy to fly, because of its size. So if you're not stuck on engine size, I'd recommend that.

mt
Old 03-02-2003, 06:21 PM
rmeira

Default P-38..

Hy Bill .. tank´s for the kind reply ;-)..
My P-38 is coming just fine... the problem is trying to be a Med. Student AND a Plane Builder..... if only my pediatrics knowledge was usefull to fly planes.. ;-)....

well i´ll take some pictures as soon as i reach the next fase of my project .. i´m cranking up the engines too.. just to kill some time and to get the "hand on the gas".. CAN´T WAIT TO FLY !!..

Bill .. i´ll surely check your plane out at rcwarbirds.....
well .. .as i´m writing .. i´d like to as for some help from you guys again..
The plan of my P-38 says to cover the wings with 1/16" balsa.. ok that.. but Can i paint directly over the balsa.. or i have to monokote over the balsa .. THEN paint??.. because i´ve the paint custome made for me .. to match the military green and gray for my design...i´ll love to hear something about that finishing stuff..

tnks a lot

Rodrigo
Old 03-02-2003, 07:22 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

you need to seal the wood and fill the grain or the wood grain will show through, there are a lot of finishing guru's around perhaps they will chime in here

to lanpc I would recommend that you build as large of a twin as you can afford
Old 03-04-2003, 09:36 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Twin-Air 15

Patrick:

If you hane not yet gotten your .15 twin, I've just had a good look at John Merien's new Twin-Air 15.

Northeast Aerodynamics has another winner.

This one differs from the others in the Twin-Air series by having double tapered outer wing sections, with the straight wing extending to the outside of the nacelles.

Same easy construction, same excellent wood, with its long tail moment it will be another easy "Engine out" flier. And it has an easy taildragger option.

Wing sapn 51", length 40 3/8", area 350 sq". Estimated weight 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds.

Twin-Air 15, 25, and 45,
. Get a set, man alive!
Twin-Air 45, 25, and 15,
. Build all three, you'll be seen.

Bill.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:55 PM
catspaw

There is a plan from RCM called twinstar, which is for .15-.19 engines. I built one and few it with a pair of OS .20 FP's. Its quite similar to the Hobbico Twinstar (which I also have).

Its from the Jan. 89 issue.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:39 PM
KG2MV

Default P-38

I just finished the Model Airplane News P-38.

I have a picture of it in my galary here. I will try and attach a smaller one here.

Can't wait to fly it, first have to get the snow off the runway here in Jersey. Those engines sound great together.

I put wheels on mine and used monocoat. I understand that the elevator needs to be firm since it is driven on one end. So I may go back and strentghen mine up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61094_29349.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	36152  
Old 03-07-2003, 10:18 PM
kram-RCU

Default P-38

Nice-lookin' bird! How big? Boy, it would make me nervous to run a P-38 on one elevator servo!

mt
Old 03-08-2003, 01:25 AM
rmeira

Default Finally

Finally i´m getting this thing going .. I´ve used a hole week of holiday here in Brazil, and me and my girlfriend got the wing ready.. painted the sides.. and are getting it all pretty good ;-).
I´ll post some pictures as soon as i get my webcam there for you guys to see...
[]´s
Rodrigo

PS - KG2MV What´s the engine size of this airplane of yours?? is a 0.15 just like mine?? i´d love to see some more pics of it..
tnks
Rodrigo
Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM
KG2MV

Default P-38

Remira:

I used OS 15 LAs. I did not invert them. I thought that would be easier for starting.

I also installed three wheels the one in the main pod has a servo that allows it to turn for taxi purposes. I also put all four cells in the main pod.

The enignes idle good now and WOW the sound they make together is fantastic. I should be flying in a couple of weeks once the snow melts off of the runway.

I will try to load some more pictures into my gallary and tell you when they are there. I took some as it was being built.

KG2MV
Old 03-11-2003, 11:59 PM
rmeira

Default Tnks. for the tips..

Hy KG2MV..
I´ll install some wheels too.. i bought three 1 1/2" wheels with 5/32" wire.. i thought about putting a extra servo for taxiing purpose.. will think about that later... What radio are u using??..
how do u put the channels to control all of it together AND the front wheel gear??..
;-)
tnks for any advice..

Rodrigo
PS - do you bought that kit? or build it from the plan just like me?
Old 03-12-2003, 05:09 AM
KG2MV

Default P-38

Rodrigo:

I built it from the plans like you. I use a Futaba T6XAS, I have two of them so that I can store what I need for all 9 planes.

I used Channel 4 to control the front wheel. Used Ys to the engines (3) and the ailerons (1) with the elevator on (2).

I used the same size wheels as you and they work great.

Went to the field this morning and flew my Extra 330L, but I got cold real fast. I think the temp was 19F. I am going to wait for a nice calm warm day before I fly the P-38 there.

Alan
Old 03-12-2003, 12:26 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

The Pica F-82 flies very nicely on a pair of OS 15's