Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

great planes cub kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

great planes cub kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:54 PM
avistar181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes cub kit?

I purchased a great planes cub for my birthday yesterday and have not recived it yet. However, I am wondering if it should be a fairly straight forward build. This is my first kit after flying a trainer and cap232. To whoever has built it, or has any building experince with die-cut kits, what do you think?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:01 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

I built one of these back in 97 I believe.It is a very easy build.I was living in an apartment at the time and only had a coffe table to work on and still had the airplane framed up in one week.It turned out to be a very nice airplane.If your looking for pics of a full size cub,let me know.I happen to own a 41' J-3.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:16 PM
avistar181

This being my first kit, I would love to see any finished product pictures you may hove for me to see. I appreciate any insight you have on this particular model.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:16 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken-

I am working on a .60 size Great Planes Cub kit right now. It is my first real building project since I was a kid 15 years ago. I agree that it is pretty straight-forward. Just take your time and follow the instructions. Towards the end of the instruction manual, the instructions get a little less detailed and require a little more careful study. If you get to a step that doesn't quite make sense, find someone who knows what they're doing and ask for help. I plan to do just that when I get to the covering portion of the project.

Right now I have the wing and fuselage pretty much built, so I'm getting close. The wing on this thing is huge! I don't know if you have the .40 or .60 size, but if you have the big one, you may want to consider building the clipped wing version. I kind of wish I had.

-Scott
Old 02-18-2003, 01:34 PM
avistar181

lucky for me i am building the 20 size kit which only has about a 61 inch wingspan. I took into consideration the size of the vehicle in which i transport my aircraft before deciding that the 20 should just about fit. Also, would you reccomend a 4 four stroke for this plane. I hear so much about this "majestic" 4 stroke sound that everyone raves about. I never heard one in person so i wouldnt know
Old 02-19-2003, 06:42 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do sound a lot quieter and less "buzzy". I suppose you could call it "majestic." I've been out of the hobby for quite a few years, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask. I had originally planned to install an HP .61 two-stroke that I thought I had laying around. I can't find it, though. If I have to buy a new engine, I will get a Saito .91 four-stroke. I believe it will have a much more realistic sound.

You should try to hook up with a local RC club before you make your motor decision and hear a few of them run. I wish you the best.