Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Does the Giant forum need sub forums?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, split the giant forum up.
55.04%
No, I like it just the way it is.
44.96%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Does the Giant forum need sub forums?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does the Giant forum need sub forums?

Folks, it seems to me the more popular these big planes become the more evident it is we need to break this section into sub forums.

I'd like to see:

Giant Beginners
This section would be the place to ask about setting up that first big bird or what components to get.

Giant Sport
Talk about all those Extras, Ultimates Edges and alike.

Giant Scale
War Birds, commercial replicas, and similar.

This is all just a suggestion to the forum admin. I know something similar was brought up before and voted with an overwhelming yes. However we are still faced with the same issue of this forum getting spun around and mixed between these categories.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does the Giant forum need sub forums?

Leave it alone, there's allready to much page turning now.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:25 AM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ken Bryant
However we are still faced with the same issue of this forum getting spun around and mixed between these categories.
So what? I'ts not as if this forum has 1000's of posts a day.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm really against a beginners forum. Sometimes good thing might come up that noone will ever see because they won't look in the beginenrs section.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: sillyness

I'm really against a beginners forum. Sometimes good thing might come up that noone will ever see because they won't look in the beginenrs section.

excellent point!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

We have discussed splitting up the giant scale forum before. At that time we talked about splitting it into AEROBATIC, SCALE and SPORT or something like that. As you can see, we decided it was best not to split it. That is not to say that maybe there wouldn't be a better choice for splitting it up. HOWEVER, I do not feel as though a BEGINNERS sub forum is a good idea.

When you say GIANT SPORT, that to me could mean a cub that is overpowered and not very scale.

The only way that I could really see splitting up the forum would be SPORT/AEROBATIC and SCALE..... With that said, I feel that the title of the thread is enough to direct people to the threads they like to read.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately I'll do what everyone wants and feels is best. Forum design & balance is very tricky. Mostly we stay on a good track as evidenced by the success so far here but it is always a work in progress to constantly improve as things grow, shrink and change. Most flattering is that I've seen a dozen other RCU "clone" sites popup and they literally copy our forum layout and descriptions (verbatim even!)

Personally I think a forum for the giant aerobat/3d planes and another for the scale/other giant planes should exist. The issues that are dealt with on a 52% yak in terms of linkages, setup in many ways is different from what you would see on a giant cub for example.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

The issues that are dealt with on a 52% yak in terms of linkages, setup in many ways is different from what you would see on a giant cub for example.
While I do not TOTALLY disagree with this, I would like to say that this is MOSTLY true for those that build 100% scale detailed aircraft. Other than that, MOST of the CUBS and YAKS that are out there are very similar. The biggest difference in these aircraft other than their actual flying purposes is purely cosmetic.

I also think that most of those people that are in search of SCALE details do and can continue to get that info from the SCRATCH BUILDING forum.

The thing that I, and think many others, like about having an all in one forum is that there ARE ideas that people have applied from a CUB to an EXTRA or the other way around. If you separate the Cubs from the Yaks, then the guy that wants to build a 100% scale detailed Yak will have to go to the SCALE forum to ask about details for his YAK...... Again, I think the SUBJECT TITLE is all the separation we need.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:31 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

What would be the point of a beginner sub forum. As it is some of the so called experts refuse to help the beginners. If the people who get annoyed with beginner questions stop putting them down and help out life would be a lot simpler. I vote no for a beginner forum.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

In keeping with another recent poll, I think there should be a "Giant Cubs" forum![>:]
Old 05-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Personally I think a forum for the giant aerobat/3d planes and another for the scale/other giant planes should exist.
Definitely, definitely, definitely ! Seperate the Aerobats, and lump the Scale together. All scale, giants 80" and larger in one sub-forum, and 80" and under in another.

> Jim
Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please no beginers fourm. How can beginners really help beginners? Also only a few pro,s would help out. I think when a new airplane is posted...the very first post should have the exact size span and recomended engine size. Also brand of kit and web-site for the plane should be there. Al data possible there....so we do not have to read through several pages to only find out.....its not close to the right size we may have thought it was. Thanks Capt,n
Old 05-16-2005, 02:35 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: P-51B

In keeping with another recent poll, I think there should be a "Giant Cubs" forum![>:]

I'll vote for that
Old 05-16-2005, 02:41 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Personally I think a forum for the giant aerobat/3d planes and another for the scale/other giant planes should exist.

This would be good too.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

I disagree with the division of aerobatic/3D vs. scale..... it should be 3D vs. all others.... the 3D crowd is into a completely different FLIGHT REALM with hugely gross overpowers, high-alpha props and large control surfaces with huge throws.... aerobatics usually implies spins, loops, point rolls, etc, NOT harriers, hovers and torque rolls.....

my $.02

[:-]
Old 05-16-2005, 09:52 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

Leave it all togather, if you split into aerobatic and scale, you may also separate the experts that have input for both. As far as beginners, let them ask theirs questions in one forum, they have a larger scope of experts looking at the questions. One point should be made is that we were all beginners at one time, and when I started over 30 years ago there was nothing like this forum to ask questions on building or flying. That's my 2 cents worth!

Rick
Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM
BlenderBender

Being a begginer just ordering my first gasser.... and seeing a few get slamed I just keep my posts to a minimum and read alot. Moving up to gassers is intimadating enough much less getting slammed even if a stupid question gets asked.... the newbie is just looking for a little support in a whole new ballgame.

John
Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Ken Bryant

OK, now I am going to add my 2 cents. If you have noticed that a part of giant has already been seperated out. The WildHare forum.... This forum is very active and produces great conversation. I for one can say that I like having a seperate place to talk about specific things.

The plus to a beginner section is simple there will be very few posts and they should answer most if not all the questions a giant newbie would have. It would provide a one stop no/little search area to get info. Also it should help cut down on the same old questions getting asked.

As for the seperation between acro and other I would love to see it. I don't really care about what the titles are as long as we seperate some of this info. THere is to much for the average person to shuffle through.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:13 AM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Ken Bryant
The plus to a beginner section is simple there will be very few posts and they should answer most if not all the questions a giant newbie would have.
Then what you want is a FAQ posted as a sticky to the main forum, not a sub-forum.

I would suggest two topics to start:
a) How do I adjust my carburetor
b) What oil should I use, and how much do I mix in

That would cover at least 50% of the traffic in currently posted in these forums.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Ken Bryant

I don't like sticky posts. To me they just waste space at the top. If there is information that is needed then it should have it's own unique spot. Personeally if someone wrote an article and they put it in the articles section that would work as well.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
eagledancer

personally i hardly come to the giant scale forum anymore and i build almost strictly giant, the main reasion is i dont like going through all the 3d stuff to find the scale stuff. i now mainly go to the scale forum, yes divide the forums
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Actually what would be really cool is if each mega popular plane had its own subforum... and all others go in the general forum

Example:

Comp-Arf 2.6 Yak
Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra
Carden
H9 Extra / Edge
QQ Yaks
EF Yaks
Wild Hare
Planes Plus
Chip Hyde Planes
Etc...

I am not talking about a sub for EVERY plane, and maybe it would make sense just one for each mfr, but certainly it would help so that individual threads don't get 2000+ posts long. Looking though those hideously long threads really takes a lot of time if you are trying to find something. Even with advanced search, its not easy.

Anyway, thinking a bit out of the box.. .
DP

Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Ken Bryant

DP, I like that best of all
Old 05-19-2005, 01:35 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Scale definately needs to be separated from everything else. I personally do not like going over threads of large, therefore giant, designs, of which no real airplane actually exists, or only as a specialized areobatic design. Please separate scale from the rest.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Bish Wheeler

Absolutely split off the 3D stuff from scale. I know that 3D is immensely popular, but most of these planes are not built by the owner and have little to do with "real" airplanes. The guys that fly them are great pilots and can do amazing things, but the disciples of 3D and scale are worlds apart. Giant Scale builders are in a large part, craftsmen and it would be great to have a forum dedicated to "building" of these planes.

Bish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.