Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

40-45cc WHICH ONE, SPE,CRCC OR OTHERS

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

40-45cc WHICH ONE, SPE,CRCC OR OTHERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 40-45cc WHICH ONE, SPE,CRCC OR OTHERS

Which engine in this range would be the best Cheap low cost engine, that has a good ignition, and will not be constantly breaking. I know you get what you pay for.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
zool.on

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 40-45cc WHICH ONE, SPE,CRCC OR OTHERS

Hi,

I just got the CRRC GF45i with RCEXL CDI from Ray at Paragon RC http://www.prcmodel.com/module.php?n...od&product=151

I can't tell you all that much as I have not got it broken in yet only about 60oz through it at this time. But it looks nice for the price and seems to run well. One of the big things for me was in looking at a few posts I like the fact that Ray seems to stand behind what he sells. Look around there are a few post about the 26, 45 and 50 that might help you make up your mind. The only thing I would say is read as much as you can. At first glance I would have said stay away from CRRC because there were a few post about a pre production engine that were not good at all. The 45 is now at what they call version 3 with what seems to be all bugs worked out. One other difference you will find is Ray is selling his with the RCEXL CDI unit and from what I have seen this is the ignition you want. It is true you get what you pay for but I think this is a good engine for the price.

Again try to read as much as you can before you decide on one. There are many out CRRC, SPE, BMCA and so on.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
aussiesteve

Speak to Henry at ZRCGF about the 45cc RCGF Engine. He is the North American distributor for these engines and is called piston here on RCU. His website is [link]http://www.zrcgf.com[/link].

These are a great engine (it's the reason that the likes of Piston, driesbabe and myself took on the distributorships).
Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Ratchet
My Feedback: (1)

I'd spend the extra few dollars and get the CR Pro GF50i. There are a bunch of these at our field, and they all run great, right out the box. I also agree with ZOOL, and Ray at Paragon Model is awesome to deal with. I've bough many engines from Ray (not all for me). He stands behind his products.

http://www.prcmodel.com

=R
Old 08-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Piston

Hey Motorman

Look at the engine styles too. The RCGF 45cc has a rear mount carb. The original RCGF 45cc was the most powerful engine in its class and it had a side mounted carb. The new style 45cc engine with the rear mount carb is even more powerful (thrust). In fact the new RCGF 45cc puts out more thrust than many of the 50cc+ engines out there.

Also the ignition system on any gas engine is important too. The RCEXEL ignition is the granddaddy of systems. It is bulletproof with an incredibly long and reliable history. Ask Bill Jensen of B.J's Model Engine Service (http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html) on this subject. Bill Jensen is one of the best industry pro's in gas engines! Straight shooter and honest.

I have run a RCGF 45cc on a test stand for well over 100 hours - 6500 rpm 40:1 oil/gas. (I quit running it because I got bored of filling up the 5 gallon tank!). That attests to the durability and quality of the engine. This is seen throughout the line.

Henry

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
grossy2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak for the CRRC-Pro engines, for Im running a GF26 @ GF50. Both run great.
There are a few GF45's at our club running in 80" Katana's and a P47.
These are a great budget engine, they all have auto advance CDI units. Earlier models had the black fix timing and were a bit ify.
I deal direct with the Factory and they are great on after sales service.

It all comes down to what you are going to use it for and how much you are willing to pay. These engine are good value for money, but if you are after high HP for min weight you need to pay the big bucks.

Cheers
Grossy
Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Piston

Hey Grossy

After sales service is very important and it is great that you being treated right. Your last comment about if you need HP for minimum weight you need to pay the big bucks is NOT totally correct though.

There are engines like the RCGF line that offer the high end performance AND they are quite economical. In fact, the Australian IMAC champion uses the RCGF engines on his airframes. This attests to what the engines are capable of doing and the trust that is being accorded to them. More competitors, sport flyers, scale aficionados etc are using these engines, and putting the savings into other quality parts of the airframe and radio equipment. It's a win/win.

Remember, that almost all, (but not ALL) gas engines are made in China now. The differences between manufacturers lie in the engineering of the various components, the quality of the material used in the various parts, and finally the QC and assembly techniques used in putting the engines together and giving them life.

If any one of the above processes are missing - the engines may still perform, but only at a level commensurate with the other processes that a manufacturer has decided to include into his product line - up.

Believe me, there are engine manufacturers who take full advantage of this, and they are getting away with this type of crap. The big loser is us modelers who just want to have fun in a sport that gives so much back to us!

Henry

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Remember, that almost all, (but not ALL) gas engines are made in China now. The differences between manufacturers lie in the engineering of the various components, the quality of the material used in the various parts, and finally the QC and assembly techniques used in putting the engines together and giving them life.
Well, the "almost all" statment is hardly true. I'll agree with the differences in design, material, QA, and assy techniques. That said, BME, ZDZ, DA, 3W, Brillelli, FPE, Taurus are some engines that come to mind which are not made in China, and actually do have good, consistent metallurgy and quality control and customer support.

To answer the thread-starter's initial question above, a used BME44 or Brison 2.4 would be excellent alternatives to the SPE, CRCC, etc and likely outlast/outperform them.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 AM
arobatx

I would agree with Rcaddiction, in that there are some very good, proven engines out there that will easily outlast any of us when taken care of. So many of these engines are found slipping through the marketplace for incredible deals, because of something new and pretty on the market. I would be inclinded to fish in that pond, and get yourself a keeper.

Chad
Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Piston

Hey All

RCAddiction pointed out a comment that I made about "almost all engines are made in China". He is correct. I erred in the fact that I should have stated that China makes most of the 2 stroke engines that are used in all applications not just aeromodeling. Sorry for that... My enthusiasm outstripped my writin' abilities!

That said... In terms of quantity of model airplane engines made, China IS the worlds #1 producer. (this includes gas and glow engines)

Here is little known fact outside China. In the Chinese school system, aeronautics is a required course in the elementary school system. Each year over 800,000 children experience the joy of learning to fly model airplanes (control line for many of these kids). That's a lot of engines and planes that are flown.

And I have digressed from the original intent of this blog..

There are some great used engines on the marketplace as stated by RCaddiction. Buying a used engine is a blog topic all to itself, and one that will elicit 100's of responses I am sure. For the modeler getting into gas and giant scale, buying new, is in my opinion the best bet, because you know the history of the engine's usage will begin with the purchaser. Plus you get the security of a warranty, if in the off chance a problem develops in the engine.

Henry

Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
RCAddiction

China is producing a vast array of lawn and garden engines, especially for western company products, as well as drone engines for their military. I for one have no desire to help China improve its military drone program, and can tell you that since modelers are very critical and vocal about performance, we will no doubt be providing inadvertent assistance in improving their military through our feedback to improve their products.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
aussiesteve

Why worry about the Chinese military?

Did you know that the country with the greatest population on Earth has NEVER invaded another country? It is in fact against their traditions and culture to do so. They have however been invaded many times (hence the building of the wall - against those rabbits).

BTW - they also have some pretty good US made stuff already in their military - including weaponry and there are many "US made" and "European made" items made here too - you'd be surprised at just what. In a 50 mile radius of my house, John Deere, Audi, Volkswagen, Boeing, Airbus, Continental, Buick and numerous others that I can't be bothered listing have all got major manufacturing plants. so if you are really worried about helping them out - too late.

Back to the topic at hand.
For a newbie to gas, a second hand engine can be a very rewarding experience IF you get a good one at the right price. alternatively it can be a terrible experience if you get a bad one (at whatever the price). In fact that principle applies to many things. By all means look for a good second hand unit but before you buy anything in particular get an experienced person to look at it - preferably one that is not "one eyed" about a particular brand.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
RCAddiction

Not that it matters unless you live in Vietnam or Tibet, but the history books indicate that China invaded the former in 1979 and the latter in 1950/51.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
aussiesteve

gone fishin' - got a bite

I know my history - trust me on that one

The third Indochina war (aka the Sino- Vietnamese conflict) was a border protection move by the PRC in response to the Khmer Rouge invasion of Sino territories. (AKA - the other side started it ).

The other one? - It's kind of hard to invade a territory that has been run as a government funded Semi Autonomous region - by the "accused party" for years.

Anyway - I won't enter further discussion on this forum about that - back to the topic.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 AM
xtassoni

look thise videos. I did the first and a 22 x 8 prop was on that.

http://www.aquilahobby.it/video/Video.htm