Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCG Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM
darrzemp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCG Gas Engines

Has anyone got opinions about the 15cc, 20cc & 26cc RCG Gas Engines? Looking to startup in gas inexpensively to start. Hobbyking has what looks like very good prices on RCGs or is the quality and performance so low that they are not even worth while?

Thanks for your input no matter what.

Darryl
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: RCG Gas Engines

They don't have much power for their size
Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junk. Carb problems.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:30 PM
skip1320

I tached my Hobby king RCG beam mount 20 after about 3/4 of a gallon@ 8700rpm plus peak,the DLE 20 next to it peaked @ 8300plus,both w/xoar 17x6,engine has been flawless from start,great performance on 8 1/2 lb QQ 69in yak,it performs just as good if not better than the dle20 I sold,check BP hobbies for latest version of 20 beam or s/off mount same cylinder/power.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
flashpilot
My Feedback: (6)

I purchased an RCG 20cc engine from Hobby King about a month ago because it was in stock and the price was good. I installed it in a just finished Modeltech P-51 with the intent of flying it in a scale meet at the end of June. I started the engine with little problem,I ran it at idle for about 15-20 seconds,then I advanced the throttle to see what the top end was like. I got to full throttle for about 5 seconds and the engine abruptly stopped, I could not get it restarted again no matter what I did. I finally took it into the shop and removed the engine from the plane. Upon closer examination I located the problem. the magnet for the sensor that is pressed into the thrust washer in front of the engine was GONE ! Probably it was never pressed in correctly. Also when it was on the way out it moved far enough to hit the hall sensor case and shattered that. I do know that it is a mechanical device and is subject to failures and that is not the problem. The problem is with Hobby King. I contacted them with live on line and was told to take pictures and submit them through their online help. I did that immediately,that was four [4] days ago and have not heard anything yet. Their write up about the engine on line at their web page says that they have a great relationship with the manufacturer and that speeds up warranty. I wonder what it would be like if the did not have that great relationship they are bragging about ? I guess I can forget about the scale meet for this year and the way they are working maybe next year !The sweet taste of a great price wears off very quickly when the rubber meets the road ! I think this will be the last major purchase that I do with them, I am not impressed with their "after sale support" Compared to other sales outlets their service is slow or maybe non existent !
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't matter about their relationship with the supplier.

As you surmise, you are on your own anyway.

Send them your engine and you'll never see it or your money again?

Fix your engine yourself and move on with your life . . .
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a little write up of a RCG 26cc gas engine I got a while back. It worked out OK for me. I did not have any problems with it. The output power is reasonable, albeit not great, but still quite useable.  But it may be hit and miss on whether you get a good one or not. But in anycase the one I got works OK.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11317917/tm.htm
Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't buy an RCG if I were cincerned about getting ANY support for it after the sale. Parts are the same as an RCGF though. If you need them order them through those channels and as W8Ye said, move on with your life. I would not send the engine back to them. The price of the freight would likely pay for the parts?

All that aside, I have an old style 26 that's served me well, and a beam mount 20 that is a match performance wise to my DLE 20. Same props, same rpm. It works very well for it's weight. HK is still selling the old style radial mounted 20 as well. That engine IS down on power compared to the new engine.

Potential for carb issues pretty much universal - across most brands?

15 weighs nearly what a DLE 20 weighs - but most others about that size weigh the same or more. From what I've heard it does run good though.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM
oldtimer4759

there are several members in my club all using RCG engines, no problems with any of them, I have the 26, goes like a charm, also an RCGF 30, very happy with it, from what i can see it is the equivalent of the DLE 30 I have, performance is as good, all of them are easy to hand start,
as to after sales service, no idea, no one I know that has one has needed any, just put in a good plug, use clean fuel, FLY, FLY, FLY.
Oldtimer
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flashpilot

I purchased an RCG 20cc engine from Hobby King about a month ago because it was in stock and the price was good. I installed it in a just finished Modeltech P-51 with the intent of flying it in a scale meet at the end of June. I started the engine with little problem,I ran it at idle for about 15-20 seconds,then I advanced the throttle to see what the top end was like. I got to full throttle for about 5 seconds and the engine abruptly stopped, I could not get it restarted again no matter what I did. I finally took it into the shop and removed the engine from the plane. Upon closer examination I located the problem. the magnet for the sensor that is pressed into the thrust washer in front of the engine was GONE ! Probably it was never pressed in correctly. Also when it was on the way out it moved far enough to hit the hall sensor case and shattered that. I do know that it is a mechanical device and is subject to failures and that is not the problem. The problem is with Hobby King. I contacted them with live on line and was told to take pictures and submit them through their online help. I did that immediately,that was four [4] days ago and have not heard anything yet. Their write up about the engine on line at their web page says that they have a great relationship with the manufacturer and that speeds up warranty. I wonder what it would be like if the did not have that great relationship they are bragging about ? I guess I can forget about the scale meet for this year and the way they are working maybe next year !The sweet taste of a great price wears off very quickly when the rubber meets the road ! I think this will be the last major purchase that I do with them, I am not impressed with their ''after sale support'' Compared to other sales outlets their service is slow or maybe non existent !
Can you tell me the Dia of the magnet. I have a few left.I can send you magnet and hall sensor and mount. No charge just postage.
BCCHI
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

I bought mine RCG20 like 3+ months ago from HK and it's beam mount. I installed it on MXS-R Seagull models. As my plane is still in a process of completion I had to come down here to Louisville KY on my company's project. It's been almost 3 months I'm here and most likely I should be heading back to my old Magnolia TX at the end of this month. I'm gonna complete my plane and check out how this RCG20 runs. The club here I go on weekends to kill my withdrawal symptoms are just $50 per year membership fee and it's really amazing

I'd certainly post my experience on RCG20. I'm gonna use 17X6 APC prop on it and gas ratio would be 30:1 non-synthetic.

BTW one of the guy was flying this plane which was slick 540 from 3d models. This one has DA-120 and other one which he had was 4 year old DLE-55. He couldn't have been more happy with those big motors. He's been using synthetic Stihl ultra from the beginning. According to him 20cc motors would always have problems, but I did not agree with him. Anyway, don't wanna hijack the thread.

Happy flying
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45100.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1888959