Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SAITO FG-14 spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAITO FG-14 spark plug

I bought a used SAITO FG 14B on RCU and it has a crack in the insulator on the spark plug, the thread is 1/4x32 and I hoped one of you would be kind enough to tell me the NGK replacement for the saito plug. Thanks for your help......any tips on the engine would also be welcome......Jim
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SAITO FG-14 spark plug

The design of the spark plug ignition cap requires that you use the Saito plug only. The wire keeper on the cap fits into a groove on the Saito plug to both retain the cap and provide the ground for the ignition. Othe brands of plugs do not have this groove and therefor cannot attache to the spark plug cap.

Saito plug part number is: SAIG20120

Pete

</p>
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
bipeflr

Thanks for your reply Pete, my ignition has a green ground wire that connects to the motor mount has someone added this to the ignition? I did buy this engine used and no experience with the Saito gas engines but have a couple of Saito glow engines. Thanks for any info you may pass on....Jim
Old 06-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bipeflr

Thanks for your reply Pete, my ignition has a green ground wire that connects to the motor mount has someone added this to the ignition? I did buy this engine used and no experience with the Saito gas engines but have a couple of Saito glow engines. Thanks for any info you may pass on....Jim
Yes -The green wire does provide the main electrical ground to the engine but the little wire clip that engages the spark plug holds the cap securely in place so there is a solid electrical contact to the spark plug. Without this wire a loose spark plug cap can cause rough running of the engine and a possibility of radio interference issues. With the wire the ignition unit is a very quiet (rf wise) unit that works well.

Pete
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
bipeflr

Is there a method of testing the ignition on this engine? thanks,.....Jim
Old 06-08-2013, 12:34 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this website for ignition parts & help. http://ch-ignitions.com/
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM
captinjohn

Last winter we went to Florida. I had got a Ignition for a Saito 1.5 from Adrian. I was going to make a video while in Florida but a lot of unforeseen things happened, and never had a chance to make the video. I am back home now & finally getting caught up on honey due things. I will start the engine for the first time & see how she runs! Capt,n
Old 06-09-2013, 06:22 AM
bipeflr

Thanks for the link and info Capt'n but before I spend almost $200.00 on a new ignition I would like to test the one I have. However,I have a tester from Rcexl that has a Futaba or universel connector with three wires and the Saito has only a red and white wire with their connector.Is there another way to test the ignition? Thanks much for your help. ......Jim
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: bipeflr

Thanks for the link and info Capt'n but before I spend almost $200.00 on a new ignition I would like to test the one I have. However,I have a tester from Rcexl that has a Futaba or universel connector with three wires and the Saito has only a red and white wire with their connector.Is there another way to test the ignition? Thanks much for your help. ......Jim
Just buy the correct sparkplug wire end cap...and a new plug. You can get a new sparkplug at a advanced Auto parts store...call them...they can get one in a couple of days. Good Luck
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There has been three different ignitions on the FG-14.

The first two are not compatible with anything RCEXL as they have an inductive pickup rather than a Hall Effect.

The third one is a re-badged RCEXL that has a special spark plug connector to fit the odd ball expensive Saito spark plug with the groove through the wrench flats,

A true RCEXL or a new CH ignition can be fitted to any of them.