Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is brushless system ever going to be cheaper??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is brushless system ever going to be cheaper??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is brushless system ever going to be cheaper??

They are expensive, sometimes enough to buy another car....

Are they going to be cheaper anytime soon??
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is brushless system ever going to be cheaper??

I hope. When I go BL I plan on buying all remanufactured stuff from Novak. It's only about 70% of what the retail prices are.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Barber420

I hope. When I go BL I plan on buying all remanufactured stuff from Novak. It's only about 70% of what the retail prices are.
what do you mean by remanufactured?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will come down in price just like every other new tech product does......Look at LCD tv's i bought mine a year ago and now its half the price for the same tv.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: samguan

ORIGINAL: Barber420

what do you mean by remanufactured?
Stuff that went back under warennty,They fix it and resell it.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Access

Sure, 3-4 years ago it was $249. for an ESC and $99. for a motor. Today you can get a setup of similar power for $130. for both the motor + ESC. The trend will continue, especially with the relatively strong dollar and weakness in the PRC's manufacturing industry, etc.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM
DaveG55

It's already less expensive than it was a couple years ago. Of course the cutting edge stuff is still high but the stuff that was top of the line 2-3 years ago is more reasonable now. As more people adopt it, especially companies making vehicles that come with BL, it will continue to drop in price.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

I was thinking the same thing. I paid $75 for an 80 watt brushless motor and $50 for a 10 amp ESC for my planes 5 years ago, now I can get an equivalent motor for $25 and the ESC for about the same. At that time I remember shopping around for car esc and motors and figuring it would cost about $400 to set up a decent 1/10 car with brushless. Now you can get a sidewinder combo for well under half that. I'm sure it will go down even more over time, but as the saying goes, "these ARE the good old days!"
Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
twomanytoys

HobbyCity.com. Thats where I get all my brushless and Lipo stuff. I Have 3 brushless boats and all are 25+mph and run great. Check it out. You will be surprised
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

You can get a sidewinder combo for $125 or cheaper. Its just when you add up everything like charger, motor, esc, and lipos it gets expensive.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
TornadoGuy

At this time brushless systems are very expensive, as you know. Over time I'm sure that they will get cheaper though. The cheapest one I saw on Tower Hobbies website was $81.99. I think that, that is still a bit too much just for a motor, plus you have to include extra cost for the other accessories. That's why the way I went is an upgraded battery. Now this may not give the same performance as the brushless system will, but it will do, for a much cheaper price. The other thing about brushless is the installation, although for some people it may not be hard, and some people it will, but with a battery all you do is charge it and pop it in the car. Some good things about a brushless system is very low maintenance, and a lot of extra speed. Again, in this case I would go with the battery, and wait for the brushless systems to come down. At least in my personnel opion.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Cheap Guy

I wish the major brushless manufacturers would focus on the maintenance benefits of brushless motors, rather than the performance aspects. While it's great that you can run 70+ mph with a high to middle level brushless, I'd rather have a dependable, cheaper brushless that's equal to mid level brushed motors, without the hassle of cutting combs, lathes, etc. I'm trying out one of the EZRun combos right now and if it stands up well during my bashing, I'll probably convert my other two Rustlers to brushless, especially since they run on both nimh and lipo batteries. No, it can't compete with Mamba, Sidewinder, etc, but I'm not expecting it to, especially at $80. What I like about it is that it IS faster than most brushed motors, again, without the maintenance.

If Sidewinder or Mamba came out with a sub $100 combo, I bet that would pretty much push brushed motors to the sidelines, except for the few of us that like running in water.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Cheap Guy

I wish the major brushless manufacturers would focus on the maintenance benefits of brushless motors, rather than the performance aspects. While it's great that you can run 70+ mph with a high to middle level brushless, I'd rather have a dependable, cheaper brushless that's equal to mid level brushed motors, without the hassle of cutting combs, lathes, etc. I'm trying out one of the EZRun combos right now and if it stands up well during my bashing, I'll probably convert my other two Rustlers to brushless, especially since they run on both nimh and lipo batteries. No, it can't compete with Mamba, Sidewinder, etc, but I'm not expecting it to, especially at $80. What I like about it is that it IS faster than most brushed motors, again, without the maintenance.

If Sidewinder or Mamba came out with a sub $100 combo, I bet that would pretty much push brushed motors to the sidelines, except for the few of us that like running in water.
I'm not quite sure on the revelance of the battery comment. Any brushed or brushless esc can use at least a 2S lipo as long as you have a LVC, either built into the esc or add on.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of brushless systems are you talking about, because Ive seen them as low as $60. Unless your looking for big name ones
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
J.D.T

brushless easily pays for itself in the long run if you play with your stuff alot, the cost is about 1/3 what it was five years ago and we got better stuff now, I suspect the knock off companies will eventually get around to escs but the hard part is the programming not the building, hundreds of people on this board could build one but I doubt if any of them could write the code and have it be smooth.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: Cheap Guy

I'm not quite sure on the revelance of the battery comment. Any brushed or brushless esc can use at least a 2S lipo as long as you have a LVC, either built into the esc or add on.
The relevance of the battery comment is that it's ready to run without the need for a LVC. With my current Traxxas XL-5 esc, I can use lipos, but I would need a LVC. With the EZRun, I can just slap any type of battery in.