Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wing Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Tube

I am considering purchasing a used CAP 232. The person that has it now is flying the plane with a wooden wing spar instead of the aluminum tube that came with the plane. I didn't think to ask why he switched to the wood instead of the aluminum, but I will next time I see him.

Is there some advantage to using the wood over the aluminum? I would think the wood would be heavier but not necessarily stronger.

The price of the plane is a very good deal and probably will get it... ok I am going to get it. I was wondering if I should fly it as is or get the original tube for the plane. That is if they still make them, the kit was discontinued.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:48 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Wing Tube

That is strange!!!!! Are you saying that the spar is a round wood spar the same size as the aluminum tube? If its the same size, with no play then you can switch. But I would doubt that it would be the same size.

I would fly it the way he built it.

tonyc
Old 06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Check out www.troybuiltmodels.com and look at the carbon fiber wing tubes. CF is way stronger than wood, won't flex, and is tons lighter!

Call Gene Payson if you don't find exactly what you want on his website, he is great to deal with and will get you a wing tube if at all possible...

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

He hasn't flown the plane much, others have flown it more actually. I didn't know he had the wooden spar in the wing until I went to look it over when I found out he was going to sell the plane.

I'm not sure if it was built that way or if he just replaced it at some point. The plane is a Lanier CAP 232, I think it's a 1.5 size. I know it is the ARF not a kit.