Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

planning on surprising my dad with an rc car this christmas... doing some early homework.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

planning on surprising my dad with an rc car this christmas... doing some early homework.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM
flatlander_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning on surprising my dad with an rc car this christmas... doing some early homework.

hey guys, i will have a hyper 7 pbs in a day or two and ill be set for a while since im changing out the electronics now. i was thinking that if i set aside about $400-450 or so (preferably $350 or so but i know thats a bit on the far side) i could get my dad an rc car as well. when i had my tmaxx last year i let him drive it and he had a hell of a time. then he drove it under my moms van[:@] but thats besides the point anyways i thought i'd surprise him this christmas with a car or truck of his own. i want something that is comparable to a 1/8 buggy performance/fun/offroad wise so he doesnt feel like i bought him a POS lol. i'd prefer it to be electric so hes not stealing my fuel(ha) but i dont think it would be too bad if he got nitro as long as it has an easily tuned engine and the vehicle is pretty beginner friendly and not overcomplicated and it especially cant be weak because he drives like a blind drunk ill have a spare transmitter/reciever and throttle servo(if needed) so i wouldnt mind if your recommendations are RTR or kit form since ill likely end up building it for him(he works 2 jobs and wouldnt have a straight 5-8 hours to build something) which i would actually prefer to do in the first place. ill have stuff like glow ignitor, fuel bottle, etc already as far as nitro stuff goes. basically to sum it up i want a reliable, bang for the buck, tough kit as long as it is comparabe to stuff a 1/8 buggy can do(jumps, drive in somewhat tall grass, a bit of sand, good handling). i know he wont have the time or money to race so he wouldnt need all the UB3R FA5T T0P PR0 0PT10N5 available lol.

here are some of the things ive been looking at and considering:

+electrics+
==========
-associated rc10b4/t4 kit + novak ss brushless system
-tamitya baja king kit + novak brushless system
-traxxas stampede/rustler rtr+ novak brushless system
-traxxas emaxx rtr

+nitro+
==========
-hpi savage ss kit
-kyosho mad force/gs-21r kit
-ofna ultra mbx r2 80% + ofna hyper 8 port
-ofna ultra mbx pro rtr
-ofna ultra lx comp rtr
-associated rc10gt plus rtr
-hpi nitro rs4 mt2 rtr
-tamiya tnx rtr
-traxxas nitro rustler/stampede rtr

i know this is a kinda(very) long thread and im sorry about that, but i really need some input from you guys that have multiple cars.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:53 PM
ICrashThings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: planning on surprising my dad with an rc car this christmas... doing some early homework.

I vote rc10gt, think about it. its a dad driving a nitro truck. if he breaks something almost every hobbyshop carries parts for it and its easy to work on. RPM company has lots of things to hop-up the GT which will make it dad proof.[8D]
Old 08-29-2004, 07:58 PM
flatlander_14

Default RE: planning on surprising my dad with an rc car this christmas... doing some early homework.

i'd kinda like durability right out of the box, but my lhs stocks stuff for all of those kits with the exception of the baja king i believe. i sawa video of the kyosho mad force and it looked pretty neat-o. but i dont think the rc10 would even touch the van if he drives under it so that may be a smart choice after all

im kinda leaning towards the ofna buggies since after all ill have a buggy as well. i dunno, i'd like to just buy them all but unfortunately i have car insurance now[:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-29-2004, 08:01 PM
ICrashThings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well then get a ofna buggy...
Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
WckdDudeMan
My Feedback: (1)

id suggest an MT theyere comparative for buggies but then you both have some mall differences in styles so if one of you wants to jump and one race thats fine, or the other way around. personally i like the LST and the Rustler
from the list you gave id suggest the rc10gt or a lost xxx-nt both are good trucks the losi one comes with better electronics to start though.

wicked
Old 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
bkmademedoit

i'd say tnx. i dont have one, im just going by what i've read.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:30 PM
frozen

I'll sell you my hopped up rustler with batts and charger for $350 usd

Edit: Specs are as follows

NEW Novak Rooster w/ reverse
NEW Claw dawgs (Rear)
NEW Futaba steering servo
NEW Traxxas receiver
NEW 15T Double Jaguar motor
NEW RPM Bumper
NEW Body will do custom paint job for buyer
Deans all around
Dirt hawg (front)

Comes with batteries and charger. 7 cell hump, 2x 6 cell 1500mah. Piranha peak 15 min charger.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:22 AM
frailcow

Unless you spend hundreds on a brushless system, any electric will seem weak compared to the 1/8th buggy. However, a brushless electric is the lowest maintenence way to get your car going fast- and staying that way.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:07 PM
flatlander_14

ORIGINAL: frozen

I'll sell you my hopped up rustler with batts and charger for $350 usd

Edit: Specs are as follows

NEW Novak Rooster w/ reverse
NEW Claw dawgs (Rear)
NEW Futaba steering servo
NEW Traxxas receiver
NEW 15T Double Jaguar motor
NEW RPM Bumper
NEW Body will do custom paint job for buyer
Deans all around
Dirt hawg (front)

Comes with batteries and charger. 7 cell hump, 2x 6 cell 1500mah. Piranha peak 15 min charger.

thanks for the offer but unless its a real nice kit i dont want him to worry about brushed motor maintenance. but either way $350 is WAY too high. i had a tmaxx with a fantom .18($150), the original maxx parts($400), new servo($50), rpm arms shock towers and skidplates($120 or so i think) and a host of other things as well and i only got $350 for it. i had well over $1500 into my maxx total. plan on only getting $250-275 at the most unless you rip off some noob kid.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:27 PM
frozen

damn -.-
Old 08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
mmaise

I say a stadium truck. Except the ofna buggys are good too.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Nitrofreak_105

i am thinkin the same, but, i would like my dad's to be like, bulletproof. i would be the one doing the repairs
Old 08-31-2004, 12:54 PM
flatlander_14

you hit the nail on the head nitrofreak

durability, dependability, are top on my list. hows your rc10gt rtr +?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Evolution02

ORIGINAL: flatlander_14

you hit the nail on the head nitrofreak

durability, dependability, are top on my list. hows your rc10gt rtr +?
if you are looking for those get the traxxas nitro rustler i have had mine for about 8-9 weeks and only broke 1 part on it and i could still run it!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:31 AM
Tolano

here is another way of looking at it, take your dad to your lhs and let him pick which one he likes. give him a price range of course so that he doesnt break your bank. i spent months asking around about which rc to get, i posted countless topics on these boards and i was always changing what i wanted based on what other people told me. there was however 1 truck i always came back to, the xxx-nt. im not saying get one, but there was just something about it that made me want it, even if i heard bad things about it. i think your dad will like his car much better if he picks it out himself. thats not saying that he wont like your decision, but if it were me and i was getting my dad a car, i think it would be lots of fun shopping with him for it, not doing it by myself.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
flatlander_14

tolano - great idea. i think i'll get him a gift certificate for the lhs. sounds like a smart move