Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

covering wing tips

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

covering wing tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:06 AM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering wing tips

whats the easiest yet good looking way to cover rounded wing tips? any suggestions would be greatly apreciated
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 AM
J_R

Default RE: covering wing tips

Assuming that you do not want a separate piece on the tips, and are using film, the problem lies in the fact that there is too much material left to cover the tip. In order to overcome this, hold the film up and shirnk it with a heat gun before attempting to cover the tip. Be careful that it does not stick to itself and that you use a heat resistant glove to protect your hand. After the material has been shrunk, you can then stretch it and apply the film to the tip. The first couple of attempts are usually difficult, but, once you have it down, it is quick and easy.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:55 PM
onytay

thank you for your helpful information
Old 04-17-2004, 08:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never pre-shrunk, but you'll find that when heated, covering will stretch when pulled. The first trick is to leave enough excess to grab on to so you can really stretch it.

The second trick is knowing when to stop pulling before it tears.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:41 PM
J_R

Mike

I wish I could take credit for the idea. Like you, I have covered dozens of models by stretching the film. Occasionaly I have torn it and occasionally it was so thin you could see through it. The tip is from Faye Stilly. After reading his books, I changed the way I cover planes. It's no wonder he keeps winning covering contests.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Strat2003

A trick I learned from Ramona Schultz, a Toledo Monokote winner, is to constantly shrink well ahead of the area you're ironing down. That keeps you from suddenly having a whole lot of shrinking to do at once. Sometimes you'll only iron down 1/16", it just takes time.
Ditto to MinnFlyer's remark on having plenty of extra covering to hold on to while you're stretching. Covering is expensive, but that's no place to economize.
As an aside, Ultracote is much easier to use on wingtios because you can actually pull it down over the tip to stretch it without seperating the adhesive and the color from the film, but Ultracote has its own negative features, too.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:52 AM
onytay

thanks to all who replied very helpfull information