Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-55 vs DLE-55 RA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
TheComputerGeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE-55 vs DLE-55 RA

Hi everybody! I'm a new member on this forum. I do have a question about 2 engines and I figured you guys could help me out? I have been researching and trying to find an engine for my NIB 1/3 scale pitts. I found the DLE-55 and the DLE-55RA engines. The RA is newer and comes with a pitts style muffler, but I have read on other forums that the muffler is the breaking point for these engines. Basically I could buy the RA and it would be cheaper because it comes with the pitts style muffler or I could buy the older one and buy an aftermarket muffler. What would you get? Because if I have to spend extra to get the RA then have the muffler break and have to buy an aftermarket muffler, it would be much more expensive. Is the performance on the RA really better?
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 AM
yak-54
Banned

the RA is newer and better i have both of them how ever for the RA i can't buy an after market muffler i have it for almost a year no problems at all
no cowl to cut an excellent engine be sure to use a good synthetic oil like mobil racing at 32.1 not less it will last for a long time
ilan
Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
TheComputerGeek

Ok but before I buy it is there any other engines I should consider?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do you want to spend?
If money isn't a problem a Desert aircraft 60 is one to consider.
DLE have good backing and are reliable, they just won't last as long, but if you are like me and have 15 planes of which you may only get a few flights a year on each then you'll never wear out a dle.
Another cheapie I have is the EME, which you can buy from SDS hobby (online) you can fit the onboard electric starter to them too, actually you can use their starter on dle's as well.
OS has a GT60 as well, I don't know much about that one though.