Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Drive RC vehicle with Sip-N-Puff

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
scottl523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive RC vehicle with Sip-N-Puff

I'm a Quadriplegic can't move from neck down I use Sip N Puff controls to drive my wheelchair I blow air into a straw hard blow it goes forward, hard sip it goes back, soft sip goes left, & soft puff goes right, I\'ve always wondered if it was possible to fix something up to drive an RC car, do you know of anything or have you ever herd of anybody doing this?
I did see where other Quads have asked questions nothing about sip-n-puff though has anybody come up wit anything to drive an RC car that works pretty good?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
futureboy1969

Default RE: Drive RC vehicle with Sip-N-Puff

I've never hard of one using it..Blue tooth and i think fiber abotics yes.. good luck with ur research, i hope there is a way for u to enjoy rc's.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude that is a awesome idea... Could be a market for it.... Only thing, if u add the word disability to it manufactures mark it up 500%

Just of the top of my head I would like to know more about ur chair.... Me thinks there would be a way to do it of ur existing controls, but there might be issues with warranty if u modify it.

I see this been very easy to setup on a Rc tank but a Rc car would be slightly tricky
If u are serious let us know and can help reasurch
Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assuming neck muscles function normally and jaw works normally, it would be quite simple to make a bite rig, clenching teeth controls throttle, opening mouth controls the brakes and reverse, side to side head movements control the steering.

all inputs would be relatively small and proportional just like a hand held controller.

I also imagine a sip and puff module would be pretty simple to control a remote, you would need someone who knew electronics well.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 PM
scottl523

Here's the manual for the electronics on my chair. I've emailed my wheelchair guy to see if he knows of anything. I've also emailed a person I know that works at CATEA (Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access) they are out of GA. Tech
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Dude that is a awesome idea... Could be a market for it.... Only thing, if u add the word disability to it manufactures mark it up 500%

Just of the top of my head I would like to know more about ur chair.... Me thinks there would be a way to do it of ur existing controls, but there might be issues with warranty if u modify it.

I see this been very easy to setup on a Rc tank but a Rc car would be slightly tricky
If u are serious let us know and can help reasurch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge95705.pdf (3.19 MB, 97 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:36 AM
phmaximus

Wow so many options...

Does u chair turn via sensors or by slight puff/sip?

This is going to take some reading
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
scottl523

I use slight sip/puff to turn.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
scottl523

Here's a reply I got from the manufacturers forum,
This is a hard request..... but not impossible.

First some foundation. All driver controls (joystick, head array, sip N puff, etc) send 4 different commands to the chair. Forward, reverse, left and right. Sip N puff has a "digital interface" (know as DI box). The straw is plugged into the DI box. The DI box interprets the different suction and air pressure and sends the different commands to the chair. ie forward, reverse etc.
On a RC radio controller, it is doing the same thing. It is sending the same four different commands to the car.
What you need to do is link the radio to your DI box and get the car to a accept the four commands that you are giving to your chair.

What you need: Invacare already makes a device that allows you to interface just about anything electronic to. It is called the "Auxiliary box" (used to be called "communication box". On the order form it is called "aux12 or aux34". The box has a 9 pin computer plug. You then need to wire your RC radio with the other end of the 9pin connector. Plug the RC radio into the aux12 box. With a Invacare programmer, turn on the aux12 box, then you will be able to send the four different commands to the aux12 box, which will in turn send the signals to your RC radio.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Depending on the RC you pair it with, I can forsee a couple of challenges. 

If I'm reading this right, the Sip n Puff functionality essentially limits you to one command at a time (you can either turn left or go forward, not both at the same time).

With many RC vehicles, these inputs are often given simultaneously.

I think it is a great challenge for those guys at Georgia Tech.  They don't grow them dumb in that engineering school, so if it can be done, they'll figure out a way.

Keep us posted, this will be a great project to read about!  Good luck, for sure.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I see a few more challenges than LaTuFu
Like at least hobby grade RC's are not just forward reverse, they are variable speed. I do see this maybe being possible with a cheaper RC like some of the stick control tycos that the controllers are basically just on off switches. But then again turning would be an issue. Could maybe could program a microcontroller that will keep a relay energized unless you engage the reverse 2 times so its steerable, and do the same for reverse. But this will take a fair bit of work, and engineering.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
scottl523

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

If I'm reading this right, the Sip n Puff functionality essentially limits you to one command at a time (you can either turn left or go forward, not both at the same time).

I think it is a great challenge for those guys at Georgia Tech. They don't grow them dumb in that engineering school, so if it can be done, they'll figure out a way.

Keep us posted, this will be a great project to read about! Good luck, for sure.
After I get going I can turn right and left without stopping the chair.
Is Traxxas good or is it just over priced?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

It is good and overpriced. It would be best to decide on what form of car you like (monster truck, short course, mini/micro, drifter etc) and then look for the specific model. Which of their cars are you looking at?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: scottl523

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

I think it is a great challenge for those guys at Georgia Tech. They don't grow them dumb in that engineering school, so if it can be done, they'll figure out a way.

Keep us posted, this will be a great project to read about! Good luck, for sure.
After I get going I can turn right and left without stopping the chair.
Is Traxxas good or is it just over priced?

Lol LaTuFu,
Did u think he would have to puff to keep it going? He would pass out with that much huffing and puffing.. Who wouldn't.
The small duration of the puff would determine the speed. The speed would remain the same u till a sip is done, and the duration of the sip would determine if it slowes or brakes.
Same with the steering with shallow puffs it would turn right.. Duration would determine how far.
And the opposite for steering left. To have better porpitional controll it would not set centre... But self centre might be eayser to controll ar first
Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 PM
scottl523

I'm looking at trucks and probably a RTR electric a complete package deal, it will mostly depend on what I can make work for me. Nothing super expensive I like the Traxxas E-Maxx but it's a little pricey. The Traxxas Stampede is nice one to.
Should I look at Brushless, or Brushed? Are any of these any good www.nitrorcx.com/brtr.html
Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm looking at trucks and probably a RTR electric a complete package deal, it will mostly depend on what I can make work for me. Nothing super expensive I like the Traxxas E-Maxx but it's a little pricey. The Traxxas Stampede is nice one to.
Should I look at Brushless, or Brushed? Are any of these any good www.nitrorcx.com/brtr.html
generally no exceed is not good (specially for people new) they are notorious for having probably the worst customer support in the industry, and almost 0 QC basically if you get it broke you are buying the part to replace (or spending 6 hours trying to talk to someone)

I don't know what your reaction time is or how fast the sip puff thing can go so I'd probably stick with a brushed truck if I were you (at least for now can be upgraded later)
If you want low priced ECX's line are a fair bit cheaper than the traxxas of the same style and from reviews I seen (and other users testimonials) they seem better built.
http://www.ecxrc.com/
Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah ECX seems good. The Smash could be a good first car for getting used to a unique control system. Also look at the Kyosho Mini-Z Monster if you want to drive indoors :P
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM
thehuntingterminator

Welcome to the forums Scott! I am really inspired by your desire to explore the hobby despite your disability. It makes me thankful for what I have. Best of luck on trying to figure everything out. If you do get everything worked out and would feel comfortable with it, I would like to write an article about you and your setup (it wouldn't have to included your name if you would like). I am a writer for a website (link below) and I think this would make for a very inspiring write up. If you would like to help me with this, please feel free to either contact my on these forums or email me at [email protected]. Best of luck, my friend. Website: http://modelkits.com/
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
scottl523

Would either of these be worth looking at?

www.ebay.com/itm/300714243675

www.ebay.com/itm/160808840977
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM
thehuntingterminator

Would either of these be worth looking at?

www.ebay.com/itm/300714243675

www.ebay.com/itm/160808840977
I would say look at the ECX Boost. I have been testing it thoroughly and while it's pretty slow (tops out at around 20mph) its a fun, durable car that could be upgraded with a brushless system to make it a little faster once you get your skills down. Or, you could take a look at the Torment if you like the look of short course trucks.

Boost: http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX3000
Torment: http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX4000
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
scottl523

I'm a little closer to getting everything I need.
Does anybody think they can make anything like this I'll post in a couple other forums to?
www.asl-inc.com/products/product_detail.php
Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 PM
phmaximus

is that the same mono style conection like on switch toys?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 AM
cumquat

you may be able to hack a radio circuit board. you'd need to bypass the throttle and steering potentiometers and replace them with the required 3.5mm jacks to utilize the control harness and probably some other circuitry. a local electronics repair shop could possibly do it but it wont be cheap, i'm sure.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
scottl523

I asked the company about that cable he said
This is a very simple cable;
Industry standard on the pins:
1 = forward; 2 = reverse; 3 = left and 4 = right.  Pin 8 is common.
So do you think I could just wire it that way to the controller?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
cumquat

theoretically, yes. i'll crack open one of my old radios to see exactly what we're dealing with. if the cable is simply power-on/power-off then it may be possible, and more importantly i can try it myself.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 AM
scottl523

I have no idea what it's going to take I know I'm going to need the remote wired with a 9 pin cable I found the cable that I think would work, so I asked the guy how hard it would be to make he told me.
<font color="#1f497d"><font face="&amp;quot">This is a very simple cable; </font></font>
<font color="#1f497d"><font face="&amp;quot">Industry standard on the pins:</font></font>
<font color="#1F497D"><font face="&amp;quot">1 = forward; 2 = reverse; 3 = left and 4 = right. Pin 8 is common.</font></font>
<font color="#1f497d"><font face="&amp;quot"><font color="Black">
Some how I need it wired to a remote that way. The other end will plug into the ECU that will be hooked to my wheelchair. I have a Traxxas Stampede with the TQ 2.4 Ghz. controller.</font></font></font>