Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
tpirnie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice

I have looked into fuel powered rc for a long time. This past xmas I broke down and bought my son the Tamiya TNX 5.2R. Before you enthusiasts, guru's and RC veterans go off, I don't usually spend $500 on a kids toy. I am here to ask advice on a few things so I will jump right into that and any advice I can get to aide me along my servo induced journey, the better.
Sometimes the flywheel isn't turning, is this due to fuel being left in the lines?
I have a rough time starting the little thing, I found that I am spending more and more time removing the glow plug and running the cylinder while the car is upside down.
Does the outside temperature become a factor in how the car/truck runs? I live in New England and it's cold here now.

As I said I am new to this, I am looking for any websites that won't make me pay a fee to join so I can order from them, I've found fuel is cheaper this way $20 a gallon when you buy 4 at a time compared to my LHS that charges $30+ for a gallon. Any information on scheduling maintenance preventative or otherwise is helpful. Any information period will be appreciated!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM
running_gag

Default RE: Looking for advice

hehe, I'd love to see someone go off on you for buying your son a $500 toy. A lot of us got started because our parents bought us one. A lot of us still get in trouble for spending to much on our toys. And almost every single one of us will tell you that yes, they are toys. just really really cool toys. anyway, we need more information. when isn't the flw wheel turning? how are you priming the motor? did you break it in as per the directions? And yes, the outside teperature effects these little engines a whole lot. every time the weather changes you will need to re tune it. this may sound tedious and daunting but after a little while you'll get good at it and it will go by quickly. regular maintenance includes keeping it clean, cleaning the air filter, after run oil, and just checking it out after your done running (or a major accident). BTW how old is your son?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

You came to the right place. Welcome to RCU.

Yes outside climate affects how the truck runs. It will be easier to start if you can warm up the engine before actually firing it up. You can use a hair dryer, or a heat gun etc. I use a butane pen torch during winter days, just be carefull on doing it.

Now, Explain when does the flywheel doesnt turn. Is this during start up I assume?. Are you using a pull start, or a starter box or something else?

From your description, it seems like you have a flooding problem.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
tpirnie

When I bought the truck I followed the directions and then ran a 5th tank of gas through it just to make sure it was broke in properly, I'd hate to throw this much money away so I made sure I was very careful in breaking it in. I am using the "easy starter" that came with the truck, I am noticing the flywheel( I assume it is anyway) will jump once in a while while the easy starter is doing it's job. I make sure that i never leave the easy starter running for too long. I prime the motor with the primer button on the side of the fuel tank. The youngin' is 12, imagine the grin this kid dons, a 12 y/o with a 40 mph+ RC monster truck!
ORIGINAL: running_gag

hehe, I'd love to see someone go off on you for buying your son a $500 toy. A lot of us got started because our parents bought us one. A lot of us still get in trouble for spending to much on our toys. And almost every single one of us will tell you that yes, they are toys. just really really cool toys. anyway, we need more information. when isn't the flw wheel turning? how are you priming the motor? did you break it in as per the directions? And yes, the outside teperature effects these little engines a whole lot. every time the weather changes you will need to re tune it. this may sound tedious and daunting but after a little while you'll get good at it and it will go by quickly. regular maintenance includes keeping it clean, cleaning the air filter, after run oil, and just checking it out after your done running (or a major accident). BTW how old is your son?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
tpirnie

TY for throwing out the welcome mat.
ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

You came to the right place. Welcome to RCU.

Yes outside climate affects how the truck runs. It will be easier to start if you can warm up the engine before actually firing it up. You can use a hair dryer, or a heat gun etc. I use a butane pen torch during winter days, just be carefull on doing it.

Now, Explain when does the flywheel doesnt turn. Is this during start up I assume?. Are you using a pull start, or a starter box or something else?

From your description, it seems like you have a flooding problem.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
running_gag

all righty. That is not your fly wheel, thats your spur gear. its jumping because your clutch is trying to engage and making it jump. Don't worry about it, its not a problem.

Your priming it too much. your getting liquid fuel into your combustion chamber causing "hydrolock". your not going to hurt anything by letting the starter do most of the work. can you see the fuel lines? if you can prime it until the fuel is about halfway between the tank and the carb, then try starting it.

He's 12!?!?!? Grab a beer (or your beverage of choice) and let him do it now. Apparently he's watched you do it a couple of times. now you can watch him.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:47 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 is kinda young for a TNX like that. But make sure your plug is still good and the pack is still charged. Be sure to warm it up or let it sit in the house and be at room temp when you bring it out (70F).
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
running_gag

stiffer spring on the front right is all I can think of.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM
tpirnie

Well I got the muffler to "pop" tonight so I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and see if it will fire for me. Anyone know where I can find the 20% Nitro for less than $30 a gallon without paying a Hazmat shipping fee?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
running_gag

ORIGINAL: running_gag

stiffer spring on the front right is all I can think of.
What was I talking about?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Anyone know where I can find the 20% Nitro for less than $30 a gallon without paying a Hazmat shipping fee?
No local LHS? If you buy them in quart size bottles, there would be no hazmat fees. But they cost more at the end. (traxxas) Cheap ones at 11.99 quart, 4 will cost 47.96+tax, compared to a gallon at 29.99+15.00Hazmat fee=44.99. Not sure if Hazmat fee is the same on on-line stores.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
tpirnie

We had a good time with the truck today. The kid put the truck through 4 tanks of fuel before he hit a tree and broke the steering assembly. We glued the pieces back together and hopefully it will hold. I can't believe that these trucks are meant for racing...... the power this thing has is unbelievable! How do they keep the truck under control? We've had electric RC before but nothing that would make the tires stand up much like a dragster! Now I have to research buying something along the lines of alloy steering components.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 PM
running_gag

How do we keep it under control? practice practice practice. and better tires. I would hold off a little before getting the aluminum sttering parts. just because ut is what you broke first doesn't mean its what your break most often.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
tpirnie

Getting ahold of Tamiya is quite the challenge, 3 days 6 calls and still wait on hold during my breaks. I guess this is what I get for buying a brand new model on the market.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
hands without shadows

I dont do nitro but..................cant hydrolock like break/bend your crankshaft?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
tpirnie

I don't know, I'm looking to replace some broken suspension and steering components.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM
BIG BEAR

On ebay there is a complete upper and lower control arm set and a steering set for that truck.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
tpirnie

Thank you I'll look into that
Old 01-10-2007, 11:32 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I dont do nitro but..................cant hydrolock like break/bend your crankshaft?
Technically, Yes! Hydrolock usually happens during start up if fuel does not ignite. But most likely other parts would break first if the engine is in hydrolock and forced to turn over. I believe it is safe to say the this is the leading cause of broken pull starts, then broken connecting rods.