Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Converting a Non Pull to a Torque Start?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Converting a Non Pull to a Torque Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a Non Pull to a Torque Start?

Is it worth it?

I have a Hyper 21 8 port and wanted to make it a pull start or a torque start.

For the pull start, I will need 1 ps backplate, 1 starter shaft, oneway bearing, & pull start assembly. (about 65$)

For the torque start option, I will need the torque start backplate, starter shaft, & oneway bearing. (about 50$)

I am leaning towars the torque start since its cheaper.

Or buy a used engine with pull start?

What do you guys think?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Converting a Non Pull to a Torque Start?

I would assume your Hyper .21 doesn`t have a pull start and needs a bump box to start . If so , you can`t just throw a pull starter or torque starter on the engine and go . Pull start engines have a special crank with a *** on it so the pull starter or torque starter can spin the crank to start the engine . If you have a non pull start engine you will need all what you mentioned above and a crank for the engine . You mind as well buy a new Hyper .21 engine that has the pull starter on it .
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I see, so the pin (***) on the crankshaft that holds the bottom of the conrod is longer on pullstart version.

I guess I'll have to keep bringing the bumpbox along till its time to replace the engine.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I see, so the pin (***) on the crankshaft that holds the bottom of the conrod is longer on pullstart version.

I guess I'll have to keep bringing the bumpbox along till its time to replace the engine.
Yes
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

the pin (***) on the crankshaft that holds the bottom of the conrod is longer on pullstart version.
Just want to clarify this statement. This statement is not true for this engine. (Hyper .21 8 port)

I have asked rc shops local and online - some said that crankshaft is the same for ps and non-ps and some said they are the same.

I just got a response from OFNA tech support and told me that they are the same.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
codykrr

i have a question.....why would you install a pull start!? its not like its so hard to use that starter box is it? and plus pull starts break...and when they break well it sucks...ive had so many pull start ropes get old and break and well ruined my whole day...cause a pull start is a !@#$% to get back together...mainly because of the spring inside it always goes flying out when you tear it apart...i would rather have one i could start with a drill and a special bit to get it going seems easier
Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Just my preference, I have a pull start on my rc10gt, only broke it once because I didn't know better back then. I put it back together and never broke it again, because now I know how to use it and they are actually pretty easy to fix.

I just dont want to bring this big and heavy starter box with me all the time. I dont race, I just bash off road. If the car stalls (very rare), I'll have to go and get it and bring it to where the starter box is. If it has a pullstart or the torque start, I can just start it there where it stalled and get it back up running again quickly.

To add, with pullstart or torque start, I can still use the starter box.

and also my starter box is getting weak, it might need new motor, bump wheel and or battery. So I am just looking for other options that is much more convinient for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 PM
codykrr

well i dont think im not sure.....but i dont think you can use a "bump starter" on a pullstart...tell me if im wrong...and see i want a torque starter that seems better...because i have a pull start and id rather push a button on like a drill or whatever are used im sure they have acual parts desiged for that my buddy has a drill with some kinda bit he uses looks alot better than pullin