Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Thompson Trphy Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:32 PM
mhburton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thompson Trphy Planes

Hi Guys,
I have been out of R/C for about three years but couldn't stand it. I don't like ARF's because I get as much enjoyment out of building the plane as flying it and maybe more and an ARFie plane just don't turn my crank.
I am looking for 1/4 - 1/3 scale plans for Thompson Trophy or Bendix Cup Racing planes from the 30's. I found some nice ones on Wendell Hostettler's website, but am sort of looking for the Travel Air Mystery Ship or Model "R" or the Laird's Super Solution before I decide which one to build. I checked all of the plans site links that I have accumulated over the years but I figured someone may have come up with some new ones in the last few years.

Thanks,
Michael Burton
Llano, TX
AMA 5791
Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Thompson Trphy Planes

I haven't seen anything new out there as far as plans but I am sure that someone will know what has happened as far as new offerings.

All I have at the moment is the Byron Wedell Wiliams which I believe originated from the Hostetler design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34196.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	384648  
Old 01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Laird SS

The Pepino plans for the 1/4 scale Laird are not very true to scale. There are numerous differences and some errors between views on the plan.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 AM
beepee

Michael,

I had thoughts of building the Laird Super Solution after seeing the reproduction at EAA's museum. Have a nice three view of it too. Then I read Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography where he describes flying it, and wonder how the darn thing ever flew. It was a hand full. Mostly it was very unstable laterally (with that big area of wheel pants well forward). The main axles were just about under the firewall. That and a tail skid and I am looking elsewhere. I applaud you guys that have successfully ventured forth with such a project. I do know there is a 1/4 scale set of plans out there.

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 01-11-2006, 08:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can find one, Golden Age Models used to produce a TravelAir Mystery Ship, with a glass fuse and built up wings.

This is Don Oleson's fine example.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13520.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	385464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36458.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	385465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29057.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	385466  
Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
scalepilot
My Feedback: (51)

Michael-

I have the plans to the Golden Age Models 1/4 scale Travel Air Mystery Ship. The fuselage mold was lost. I do have the plug and should have it ready in a few weeks. I can make you copies of the plans and wood patterns in the mean time. Feel free to contact me anytime...

Best Regards--

Matt Petrie
859-801-9584
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 PM
mhburton

Thanks guys for the info and for the great pics. Matt I sent you an email about your plans.

Ya'll are fine fellers.

Michael Burton
AMA5791