Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help setting up my Artizan with Aurora/Optima combo....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need help setting up my Artizan with Aurora/Optima combo....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help setting up my Artizan with Aurora/Optima combo....

Hello gents:
After a long hiatus I am getting back in the hobby.
Recently purchased an Aurora 9x an Optima 7 receiver
the Airplane is an Artizan BNF from E flite, the plane has en ESC built in and the whole package is hard to get to.
after following instructions and putting all conexions in place... The problem is that no power reaches the Optima. The LED does not light up.
when plugged the besc/engine beeps once and then three times as it is supposed to... Then nothing happens....
What can I do?..

Thanks in advance
Patrick
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A bit puzzled.
You say no power is getting to the receiver but the motor beeps correctly.
As far as I am aware if the ESC does not get the correct signal from the receiver it will not 'arm' although it may beep a warning (single beep repeated?) to say all is not well.
So if the ESC really is armed the motor should run - but take the prop off first!
The fact that the receiver LED is not on does suggest it is not bound to the transmitter so nothing will work.
I assume you have gone through the binding procedure as described in the manual?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:17 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the motor is sounding the first beep (power-up)and then the three beeps (indicating a 3-cell battery) then the esc battery and motor connections are fine as that's what it will only do without a receiver connected.
If there are no arming tones following the three beeps then one of two things is wrong.
Either the receiver plug is not plugged into the receivers throttle port or it is plugged in backwards.
Or the receiver is not properly bound to the transmitter on a properly set-up model location.

No led on the receiver indicates either no power (esc plug in backwards) or it is not properly bound.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:17 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.
Brian you were right on the money.... the arming tones were fine; the polarity of the connectors was reversed.
I plugged the original A3SX receiver and checked the leads, then I put the OPtima receiver with the correcto plarity and was able to bind.
One more question, since the plane doesn't have a switch, it arms as soonas the battery is plugged in.. can I install a switch or is it more of a hassle than useful??
Thks
Patrick
Old 09-09-2016, 03:22 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick,
As an option to installing an arming switch you could program "Throttle Cut" on the transmitter. When programmed and enabled on an electric plane the motor will not turn when the throttle is raised. When you turn throttle cut off the motor will turn.
I and many others use this feature on electric planes and in some cases in conjunction with an arming switch.
If you decide to try programming it always remove the prop first !
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A safety officer would say (with some justification) that the only truly safe condition for an electric anything is when the power source is physically disconnected. Relying on a switch increases the risk of a 'power on' accident by several orders.
It all comes down to what you (or your club) consider an acceptable level of risk.