Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

elcectric motor problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elcectric motor problems?

Yesterday was my birthday and for it i got a lipo system and a batt. (hyperion 0404i0hyperion 4270mahCX) and i decided to test it in my evader which i havn't run in....forever. The first pack went grate but at the end of the pack my servo horn popped lose and ended the run. (don't know where the screw that is supposed to hold it on is!!!) so i fixed that while i recharged and also noticed how hot the motor was, over 200 degrees! i let it cool and went out for another run. this time it was running the same but 5 mins into the run when i decided to check motors temps.....probably over 220 degrees!!!! (forgot my temp gauge in house, darn) i let it cool back down and restarted and i am getting 1/3 power i had just a few mins ago. I also notice a small amount off smarks coming off one of my brushes.
i'm thinking it is time to replace the brushes but i'm thinking of going brushless in a little while so is there any short term fixes or something?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM
budha24

Default RE: elcectric motor problems?

What ESC and turn/size motor are you runnin?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Matt_Gruizinga

the esc is an old GM V6r i had laying around and the motor is a team orion sv2 15x2, the car had plenty of torque and speed but i think i will be downsizing my pinion because of how how it was getting I also have some motor brushes and lube on the way for it.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
budha24

I dont run lipos myself and dont know what cell size your runnin but my educated guess is that may be too much power for the esc and/or the motor. I hope someone else can weigh in as well as my guess is only an educated one. Enjoy
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Matt_Gruizinga

I was afraid of that two because the esc was a little hot, i think it was mainly because of my driving style (full speed in the long grass)
I'm using a hyperion 4270mah CX 7.4v lipo with an 18C discharge. it was cheap and i figured for my first lipo it would be good.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 PM
budha24

The battery sounds like a good battery and the voltage dosent sound like enuff to straight blow up the esc but over the long run it is heating up and probably causing the motor problems. Did you get the lipo set up to run in this vehicle?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Matt_Gruizinga

what do you mean by setup, i charged the batter on a slow balance till full then i put it in and let it rip. (yes i know when to stop runnong as soon as their is a drop in power)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Matt_Gruizinga

what do you mean by setup, i charged the batter on a slow balance till full then i put it in and let it rip. (yes i know when to stop runnong as soon as their is a drop in power)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
budha24

I meant did you get the lipo to run in the evader, by setup I meant the lipo and the charger. If you got the lipo and charger for the evader I would upgrade to a different esc and eventually a motor.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Matt_Gruizinga

i got it for my evader yes, i also changed out the stock esc and motor. (i don't really care about these, im getting a velineon for xmas)
this motor and esc are going to be used until I get all the kinks worked out in this car. (many design flaws) i don't want to be going 75% throttle down my road and have it glitch into a mailbox or jump the nieghbors flowers and break their huge bay window. [X(]
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM V6r is rated for up to 12 volts, so 7.4V input will not cause any long term issues with this esc. The motor can handle 7.4 volts all day long with the right gearing. Running in grass using the throttle as an on/off switch is causing the heating issues. With heating issues comes brush and com arc. If you replace the brushes, cut the com, and use a more conservative gear ratio, you will be fine.