Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

? Carden Aircraft ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 08:55 AM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Carden Aircraft ????

I'am in the middle of building a 30% Carden cap (i have it framed up) and i was just wondering how others feel about Carden's kit's, in my opinion they are not for the average builder. There is nothing in the box when you start but bulk wood and foam parts. The instruction's are about useless! For the cost of there kits there should be alot more to them in my opinoin. They will have a hard time selling me another kit [:@]. This is the hardest kit i have ever built i hope it flies as good as people say , but as far as i can tell it is just another cap that i pretty much scratch built from a box of wood they sent me for an outrages price !!!!! For a lot less money i could of got a CA model with laser cut parts. What do you all think ? I think carden is just a bunch of hype !! [:-]

Chad
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: ? Carden Aircraft ????

ORIGINAL: coony2787

I'am in the middle of building a 30% Carden cap (i have it framed up) and i was just wondering how others feel about Carden's kit's, in my opinion they are not for the average builder. There is nothing in the box when you start but bulk wood and foam parts. The instruction's are about useless! For the cost of there kits there should be alot more to them in my opinoin. They will have a hard time selling me another kit [:@]. This is the hardest kit i have ever built i hope it flies as good as people say , but as far as i can tell it is just another cap that i pretty much scratch built from a box of wood they sent me for an outrages price !!!!! For a lot less money i could of got a CA model with laser cut parts. What do you all think ? I think carden is just a bunch of hype !! [:-]

Chad
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Can't wait to build one for my self!!
Old 04-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have one that was built by someone else and there is no room for equipment and it is heavy. I have tried to sell it (lots of hangar rash) but no takers. It flys good but I don't like it.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Give Aerotech kits a look next time, all laser cut, I too have the same feelings about carden, they fly great and I have two of them but they are being sold off and being replaced by a couple new Aerotech kits.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Geistware

DO you have a link to aerotech?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:27 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Geistware

the 28% seems a little small.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:24 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Aerotech's kits are price nearly as bad. I can't comment on the quality of kit or instructions having never built one, but they are ver priced in my book.

Neo
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Velox Pilot

Hello,

How do you figure that? The kits are less money and you get more in the box. I know I have been down both roads. No they arent the same priced as cheap as an overseas ARF. But no one in the US manufacturing could ever sell that cheap. If your comparing Carden to Aerotech then Aerotech has them beat hands down on price, performace and kit contents. Its my opinion that dollar for dollar they are the best package.

Later

Ted
Old 04-05-2004, 09:01 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I have one that was built by someone else and there is no room for equipment and it is heavy. I have tried to sell it (lots of hangar rash) but no takers. It flys good but I don't like it.

how much do you want for the carden ?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 AM
PJFaller

I have built and flown Several Craden 30% 35% and 40% kits and I will agree that the prices are high for whats in the box and the first build is difficult, but they do get easier. After building several and I have built all of them with the exception of the new 35% extra and the 40% edge they build very easy now IN MY OPINION....They are very straight forward and allow for room to use all your own equipment and build techniques. As far as wieght is concerned yes they are a little heavier than all the rest but look why..
They are very very very durable. I had a 35% Cap with more than 1000 flights on it when I sold it and to my knowledge its still flying today. The airplane is 7 years old and is going strong. At 27lbs, with a 6.4 brison twin it was an animal. The little extra weight was awesome for IMAC stuff, the snap exits where instantaneous. People get very hung up on the weight issue....If it flys well and does everything you want it to do, and the Cardens do everything....WHO CARES WHAT IT WEIGHS!!!!! If they flew like crap then that would be something to gripe about, but the fact of the matter IN my opinion once agian they are the BEST aerobatics airplanes on the market in flight characteristics and durability BAR NONE!!! They do everything every other aircraft does on the market and you dont have to baby the thing around because it is a solid aircraft. No open sides no sticks to pop in transport, the airplanes are solid. Guys I am not a Carden junky by any means...I am just telling you my experiences. I only fly Carden when I buy giant scale aerobatic stuff. Ive had success with it and so has thousands of others....thats why the wait for a kit is so long. If I was to gripe about anything it would be price, when you open the box and look at what you get. But I have seen several people spend more time and money on 3 pieces of crap than I have spent on one carden...Take this for what its worth, but I am true Carden fan. Oh and I forgot to mention,
their customer service is second to none. Take Care.

Pete
Old 04-05-2004, 11:29 AM
coony2787

I have to agree with you on the customer service , they are always willing to help. And yes i have to agree that the plane once built looks very durable. But the price and instructions flat out suck !!!! I can't wait to either sell mine or fly it i just havnt made up my mind yet. At 22 lbs for a 30% plane i bet it will be a PIG !!!

Chad
Old 04-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

What motor do you have in your 30% Cap?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:21 PM
rcplanefan

Chad,

This is the beauty of the free market economy. You can take your money elsewhere. You can also post your opinions in an open forum without fear of prosecution. So I will share mine, too.

You are complaining about the cost for the components in the kit. Just alot of foam and wood. Keep in mind that the plane has to be designed. Ever wonder why Carden doesn't sell their plans? It is because you are paying for the design as much as you are paying for the "kit contents." I have two of their 40% Extras. They fly better than any other airplane on the market, in my opinion. I will build another of their planes next winter. While I agree that they are not for the beginning builder, I find them to be easy to build very straight. As for the weight - well, my Extras have never been weighed. They fly great. I have over 200 flights on my newest one, and you can't tell it has ever been in the air. It looks that good.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. Just keep in mind that reputations are typically built on good product with good service. In my opinion, Carden provides both with aplomb.

I'm not sure what Velox Pilot means by Aerotech having Carden beat "hands down" on performance. To date, I've never heard of anyone owning a Carden complaining about the performance.

Ken
Old 04-05-2004, 03:30 PM
coony2787

Badge .

I have a 3w 75us for power in my carden cap.

rcplanefan,

Your absolutley right also , i just wanted to know other peoples thoughts..... and yours is apreciated.

Chad
Old 04-05-2004, 03:54 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with rcplanefan. I just finished my 40% extra and it flies great. I know that I could've bought an aerotech, aeroworks, composite arf etc. etc.. I find cardens to be very easy to build and will outlast any kit on the market. Another reason I love cardens design is that it is all balsa no plywood to monokote over. I hate covering over plywood. As far as the weight, my extra is 38.5 pounds with carbon cannisters from dalton aviation and it flies like a feather. I never look at the overall weight of the aircraft because wing loading is more important. For example if you look at the 40% aeroworks edge it has less wing area than the 40% carden edge, yet they're both 40%. The bottom line is that this is America and thank god we have all these choices. What I like might be different than what somebody else might like but at least we have choices.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Velox Pilot

Hello,

What I meant was I have a 35% Carden Extra 330s and a my Velox flies much better than my 330s does. It stops where you put it, less mixing, weighs less etc. As for support I agree that Carden has great support and I can say the same for Aerotech. So I can say I can evenly match them from my purchases. Also my plane is not ply opened bay fuse like some describe. Balsa sheeted fuselage so finishes are great and very solid construction. I have almost 200 flights on my Velox and it looks like brand new. Hey whatever you do or choose is your choice, but like some have said I will spend my money on what I like. The point is info, have fun and fly.

Later

Ted
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
JRozman-delete

My 30% carden cap weighs 20 lbs and fly's damn good. I thought the kit was excellent. The directions are a little sparse, but there is a wealth of info on building on the web. I did a 30% carden thread also. It weighed 20 1/2 then I took the pull pull tray out and all hardware at a 8 oz savings. I have a 3w-75 on mine also.

Jess
Old 04-06-2004, 08:37 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your Cap , you'll luv it when it's finally built,

Here's my 30% at 20.5lbs with a ZDZ 60, flies awesome!

I'm building the 35% Edge right now, I really like the Carden designs, they are definately not beginner kits but, require a fair bit of building experiance. If u have questions Dennis will go to any length to help u.

I'd much rather build and cover balsa than lite ply.

Sincerely,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32982.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	119494  
Old 04-21-2004, 06:22 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

I have to lean towards the AeroTech kits as far as easy to build goes. I built my first one in 3 months tinkering in the evenings. It is all laser cut and very easy to keep straight. The first kit I had was a Carden and they are tedious and for those with great attention to details. You constantly are concerned with keeping it straight. I had a builder do it as it was over my ability.

As far as being sturdy... I can totally attest to that. My crystal came out and my buddies and I watched my 35% Edge fly around for a few minutes and then it went into a tree nose first at half throttle. There was very minimal damage. I lost the cowl, motorbox and rudder counter-balance plus some gouges from going through the trees on the way down. The fuse was totally in tact.

I am building my second AeroTech Edge, 42% now. I am documenting the build as I go on a web site so others might try one of these great kits. John, the kit builder has been a great resource and he has been there any time I have needed information.

These kits are a great value! He also has the ARF'd versions of these kits but I have not seen one as yet but I would be certain it would be great!!

Bob Bean
www.flytheedge.com
Old 04-21-2004, 07:31 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Here is a picture of my 30% carden cap. I bought it used. From what I have been told I am the 3rd owner. And its almost 3 years old. It has a 3W-75us as well.
This is my first Giant scale plane. mine weighs a little over 21lbs but it flys great at that weight. But I wouln't want it any heavier. I am using 3 1650 NimH 6volt battery packs when I weighed it. since this picture. I have had everything double beveled. installed new wheel pants and carbon fiber landing gear. And probably will swap over to powerflight batterys.

I would try and built it light. And make sure you have your wings attached to where they bolt inside the fuselage. Not underneath into the wing tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66501.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	124975