Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Transmission Binding - Need Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:15 PM
DahlELama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Binding - Need Input Please

My Savage wont roll freely backwards or forwards. It was running great and took a hard tumble in the street yesterday. I thought I just hit the brakes too hard but from what I have read on this forum it may have been my tranny locking up. The tranmission is a fairly new 3spd.

I had just rebuilt the diffs with 4 bevel gears and those spin nicely. Its the transmission that sounds gnarly and seems to be binding. I can spin the spur gear with my finger and all the wheels turn when I do so, but it seems to bind a little and makes a grinding noise. Set it on all four wheels and it is very hard to roll.

Any thoughts before I tear back into this thing? And... if it is the transmission, what is the best way to bulletproof this thing? I would think this would be a very strong transmission as all the gears are steel.

BTW - Here's an article I found that may be of some help: [link=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3825/is_200303/ai_n9203661]Transmission Binding[/link]

Thanks in advance for your replies!

e.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
DahlELama

Default RE: Transmission Binding - Need Input Please

Nevermind.... I found the problem. The brake linkage was stuck.

I'm not a smart man Jenny...

e
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Transmission Binding - Need Input Please

Yep, a stuck brake linkage will make your tranny sound gnarly.

Anyway, anyone with a reverse module would experience the same thing if the reverse module linkage is not set correctly. Another symptom of an incorrectly set reverse module linkagae is that the engine does not put any power to the wheels. I've had this same problem and after spending 45min to an hour taking apart the drivetrain to try to find out if I have a gear problem.
The moral of the story is always check the limkages and make sure they are not binding and are at the correct angles.