Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Smoke system help please...neoprene hose keeps blowing out on the smoke tap..

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Smoke system help please...neoprene hose keeps blowing out on the smoke tap..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke system help please...neoprene hose keeps blowing out on the smoke tap..

Hideho all,
OK, Brison 3.2, smoke tap from Bisson...goes from 1/8th in (tubing rec) reduced to real tiny...the idea is to "atomise" the smoke fluid...black neoprene keeps blowing out at the tap...have reduced the ATV to 49%...Slimline Showtime...pump is on lever on the side of my 9C....I am powering the Slimline with a Fromeco 2200 "Y'd" right from the battery straight to the pump...so it's getting 8.4 volts straight unregulated..but that's ok, Slimline states up to 12V...
Blown out 3 times...zip ties don't help...
Changed to thicker Neoprene..same problem, blow out at full smoke.
Any Help is appreciated..
Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoke system help please...neoprene hose keeps blowing out on the smoke tap..

Dump the reducer in the neoprene line. It sounds like the amount of pressure, even at the low setting, is placing to much "head pressure" at the reducer, blowing out the line. You probably don't need it anyway. Think electrical for a moment, trying to drive 40 amps from a 10 gauge wire stepped down to a 22 gauge wire. Something is going to get real hot. Same thing with the tubing.

Pat
Old 09-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Mike Bogh

Default RE: Smoke system help please...neoprene hose keeps blowing out on the smoke tap..

Reducer is the tap itself...
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-27-2004, 09:25 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Drill out the hole some....
Old 09-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Mike Bogh

Thanks Jeff, but I like the idea that the tap reduces the amount of smoke oil needed to make tons of smoke more efficently...effectively extends my smoke oil by twice as much time...or so the company claims.
I'm going to reduct the ATV again by half, and put shrink wrap over the neoprene...then slice some Tygon and wrap and zip tie that...by God that should hold it...
Old 09-28-2004, 04:44 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

(As you most likley already know) The pump acts like a servo, as it changes speed (assuming you have it mixed to the throttle stick location)...or do u have it set to an on/off switch??..Mine lasts 12 minutes with a 40 Oz tank...thats not too bad, but I may bump it up a bit for even more dramatic effect,lol...
Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

My buddy has one on a 40% CArden and he gets 3 minutes on a 50 oz. tnak but you outta see it smoke!

Dan

I used to haveone and on a 24 oz. tank it smoked for about 3 minutes too :-) I'll post a pic later today
Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Put a wire wrap over the neoprene hose after you place it on the smoke fitting.
You remember those little wires that came with the pump system? That's what there for. I place a piece of gas line over the neoprene, place the neoprene hose on the fitting, slide the gas line down over that and place two wires on it and twist tight.
The purpose of the gas line is to keep the wires from cutting the neoprene.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Mike Bogh

Here's a photo of the fitting...it reduces to .40 thousands turning it into a mist as it goes into the header/muffler...it makes your smoke oil last twice as far/long.

I just called Bisson and they told me to turn down/restrict the oil going in even more.

The tap is 5 bucks.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Mike This is what you should be looking for Yours will be a good setup for just all around cool smoke and you can make cool vertical 8s or similar!

I couldn't even do like 5 loops with my system on lol:

Later

Dan

PS...good luck with your smoke MIKE!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:49 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

What you need to do is solder 1/8 tubing into the nipple leaving about 2in of tubing. Then you attach the neoprene to it. I use the same ones. This will solve your problem. Dennis
Old 09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Mike Bogh

Bingo, that makes sense.
Thanks pal,
Mike
Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike Bogh

Here we go...finally, thanks be to all who helped!

Old 09-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Mike..Is that a smoke muffler or the stock one??..Im trying to decide if I need a smoke muffler for my DA-50..I have a Don Harris pump waiting for it....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Mike Bogh

nOPE, NO SMOKE MUFFLER, JUST A SPECIAL SMOKE TAP that costs 5 bucks from Bisson muffler company... brass
Fitting goes from 1/8 reduced to .40 thousands...the oil atomizes at the header...just drill and tap a 10mm hole...buckets O smoke.
Best 5 bucks I've ever spent in this hobby...ever.
double shrinked wrapped the neoprene hose that goes onto the tap...and just a wee bit of flow is all that's necessary.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:46 AM
DadsToysBG

If you want to have more fun try a 6v battery.Dennis
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Mike Bogh

I'm running a split 'Y' straight from the Fromeco 2200 lion ignition battery to the smoke pump...8.4 volts and as it discharges, no fly is 6.5V. I double wrapped the hose at the fitting with 2 inches of hitemp shrink wrap...holds good now.
Thanks for the tip...
ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

If you want to have more fun try a 6v battery.Dennis
Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mike , I run mine the same way. Y'ed off my Duralite Ignition pack. Works great!!

Kelly
Old 09-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Mike Bogh

tHAT'S WHAT i WAS THINKIN', Kelly. But before I did I called Kurt Cook, the manafacturer of Fromeco batteries and asked him...he told me to check what the pump was drawing...Slimline sez 200 ma so that's a drop in the bucket..Kurt said it shouldn't be a problem, but reccomended a 4400 ignition batt just to remove all doubt.(I declined his offer to sell me another one just yet untill I see what my drain/useage is) I also am running a I4-C isolater and I am powering the reciever now off another Y from the outbound ignition regulator...still isolates the reciever from all the servos...and that's 2 EXTRA batteries (smoke pump+RECIEVER) I don't have to use.
The Pitts is known to be a wee bit piggy so I'm saving weight where I can...my all up flying wet weight (24 oz fluid) is 20lbs..
That I can live with that as it puts me back at about18 lbs or so for landing.
So my friend asks me "how much does 24oz of fuel weigh?"
Old 09-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Mike..did you end up having to solder the brass tube to the fitting or did you just double shrink wrap it?
Old 09-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Thunderbolt47

Have fun with your Pitts Mike. I lost mine at Joe Nall (Shoot Down, Ch50 thing). I had a FPE 3.2 with Duralites and smoke. 17.5lbs. I was thinking of getting another one.

BTW I called Jack at Duralite and asked the same question. I'm using a 1800 2cell pack. My smoke is now in my H-9 Sukhoi.
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58516.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	178050  
Old 09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Mike Bogh

Double shrink wrapped 2 inches is holding thus far...that and reducing the flow rate...still tons O smoke.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Mike Bogh

So Kelly, since I got you here and all...tell me a story or 2 about take offs and landings on this "handfull O grease" please...Do you think the gyro on the rudder will tame it's unatural tendancies"? []
Old 09-30-2004, 09:58 AM
DadsToysBG

I still use a battery for only the smoke system. I f it runs down no problem. Dennis
Old 09-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Thunderbolt47

Mike all I can say is, It isn't as bad as you think. Just slowly advance the throttle and steer it with the rudder. I didn't have but about 20 flights on mine before it met it demise but I don't ever remmember having any trouble taking off. Just try not to OVERSTEER it. Expo helps too. Also stand behind it for the first few flights. You probuly do that anyway.

BTW for landing make sure it isn't any tailheavy. When it lands and the tail drops, if it isn't slowed enough it will try to go back up. A real bear to land that way.

Kelly