Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good starter nitro car

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 01:56 AM
OscarMayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good starter nitro car

I am pretty new to rc cars. i need a car that is pre-built and is about $250 or so. Less would be good , but i dont know if i can get a good car for that.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Moonunit451

I'm new too. I've had an RC10GT for about 2 weeks. There are several posts on this forum that give great information.
Search some of the previous pages and you'll find what you're looking for.

I picked this car cause I wanted something durable and easy to work on for starters. Also my friend has one so I could have access to his knowledge and experience. This is a cool truck and fast. I've beat the crap out of it with little consequence.

It kind of depends where you are going to drive it too. This truck is 2 wheel drive and good on the street or off road. Hope this is of some help to you. I'm sure you'll get other responses from more experienced people. Have fun. It's around $280 RTR you'll need fuel and batteries only.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:54 AM
hoodiegadoo

The Nitro Rustler 2.5 in my opinion is an excellent car to start with because it comes ready to run, has an electric start so you don't have to deal with a pull starter, its very easy to tune. The people at Traxxas are great and will sit with you on the phone till you fix any problems you might have. Its also the fastest rtr available toping out at 47 mph! Plus if you ever decide to get into racing its a great car for that as well. I have two and both of them are great cars!!
Old 01-11-2003, 06:19 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!

If you want cheap but still quality go for the kyosho Ultima RB. Its a bargain!!! Ready to run!!! think its only $219 but im not sure as I live in England. For an English price go to www.modelsportuk.com Well strong engine!!

Just my little contribution.

p.s. If they sell them where you live go for a CEN fun factor!! Amazing car I have one and they rule!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:24 AM
OscarMayer

Thanks guys ive looked at the ofna ultra lx rtr its a bit more expensive but looks awesome and i mainly need a car for backyard/dirt road racing. Any opinions?
Old 01-12-2003, 03:28 AM
OscarMayer

Hey they sell the fun factor here, do you think it would be better than the ofna? They are near identical in price(a little less than $350)

Thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 03:41 AM
OscarMayer

the ultima rb is sold in two versions that are identical except one has a 540 electric racing motor(the one for $219) and a nitro for $319. Would the 540 be fast enough?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Fast Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RC10GT RTR and Traxxas Nitro Rustler are both good trucks. The Nitro Rustler is a little more user friendly for beginners not having a ball diff. to maintain.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:05 PM
SINNER

I GOT THE ULTRA LX RTR FOR XMAS. SEEMS TO BE A PRETTY GOOD CAR. STARTED WELL, IDLES WELL, EASY TO TUNE AND PRETTY FORGIVING. GOOD HEAT SINK HEAD AND AIRFLOW ON THE .25 FORCE. OFNA RTR'S ALWAYS SEEM TO NEED SOME ATTENTION ON THE LITTLE ASSEMBLY STUFF. CHECK YOU LINKS ON THROTTLE AND BRAKES AND TIGHTEN SCREWS. LOTS OF POWER. THE CAR ISN'T SUPER FAST, BUT ITWILL HANDLE AT TOP SPEED WELL. I'D GUESS A LITTLE OVER 40 MPH. KIT COMES WITH GLOW STARTER, BASIC WRENCHES, CAR AND RADIO. YOU WILL NEED A 4WAY GLOW WRENCH(THE HEAD IS VERY TALL) AIR FILTER OIL, AND 12AA AND A COUPLE OF D BATTERIES. O.S. #8 PLUGS AND 20%TRINITY FUEL HAVE WORKED WELL IN MINE. 3 TURNS OUT ON THE HIGH SPEED NEEDLE AND FLUSH ON THE LOW SPEED WAS A GOOD BREAK IN SETTING FOR ME. FACTORY SETTINGS WERE WAY OFF ON MINE. TOWERHOBBIES HAS DECENT PRICE AND GOOD PART SUPPORT. HAVE FUN , HOPE IT HELPS.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:06 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!
I didnt know what an Ofna was so I did bit of research and found out that the reason I didnt know what one was is because in England they are called "Hoboa". Over here their 1/8th buggy is called the Hoboa Hyper 7. I found out why they have the different names and it's beause they want to see how loyal each countries buyers are or something like that.

Any way, I dont know much about the Ofna car but I own a CEN fun factor MT and think it's great!!!I have the old one with 2 speed transmission, .16 engine, Tuned pipe and 4wd. I have seen the CEN funfactor MT and buggy 2 and think it looks even better!!!! I have only just run it in but so far it has been great!!! Its fast (especially in 2nd gear), can pull off lovely skids when you lock the wheels and handles well. It has also been reliable although I haven't really driven it hard yet as I have been running it in.

Although, I do know that Ofna (or Hoboa) are a well known company and have produced that ace buggy so I'm sure that car is good!!!!

p.s. I had the nitro version and I dont think the electric version would satisfy your needs, electric just doesn't have the power!!!