Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?

Okay, guys, time for a different thread. The subject matter of this thread is to share your ideas on what to incorporate into your ideal hobby workshop.

The reason why I'm starting this thread is because I've been drawing my ideal workshop on the backs of envelopes and on graph paper for years and now that I'm getting close to building my house, I'm wondering what other ideas are out there. (I don't want to miss out on a neat idea!) Come on, every one of you has fantasized about moving your workbench out of that spare bedroom and into a purpose-built room or building and I'm curious what designs you've come up with. This thread has the potential of assisting a lot of R/C-ers who, like me, are contemplating building a special R/C workshop.

Okay, here are some simple ground rules...

1. IT MUST BE REALISTIC. As far as I know, there are no Saudi Princes hanging out on RCU so the design must be affordable. Yes, I know, "affordable" is a subjective term. Just keep your ideas from being so far out in fantasyland that they won't be taken seriously.

2. The workshop room or building can be any size from a spare bedroom to half of a two-car garage, to a basement or second floor, to a purpose-built building in the back yard (permanent or portable.) If it is a separate building from the main house, don't forget to include a bathroom!

3. Any drawings should include enough detail to be able to explain what is what. Feel free to write something up to describe what you've drawn, the benefits of your particular design, etc.

4. This thread is NOT intended to give you an opportunity to show everybody your current workshop. We've already seen the pictures on the other threads. This thread is intended to give all of us ideas to consider incorporating into our own workshop designs because the home plans books don't often include R/C workshops. (Why is that???)

5. The best way to show us your idea of an ideal workshop is with a drawing. There are a lot of you who are either employed as draftsmen or are taking drafting in school so posting your ideas to this thread should be easy and fun for you. For the rest of us who can't draw a straight line with TWO rulers, a scanned-in freehand sketch will be okay. Again, the purpose of this thread is to share ideas.

This is not a contest so there won't be any Tower or Horizon gift certificates for any winners. The only reward is that there is a possibility that some of us may incorporate YOUR ideas into our own future workshops!

I don't have a drawing of my own ready to post at this moment but will do so in the next day or so.

Come on, guys. This thread has a lot of "fun" potential so let's see what that dream workshop in your head looks like!

Harvey
Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?

[link=http://www.minnartist.com/RCU/grafix/manland.wmv]MANLAND[/link]
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
dignlivn

Very nice Mike !

My hangar is 16x10 shed.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68212.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1329722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87658.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1329723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb77093.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1329724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18851.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1329725  
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the smoker!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I love the smoker!

Yeah, building,assemblying and flying makes
me hungry and thirsty.

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Kwigen

I hope this drawing shows up. My shop is in the house so I tried to limit dust as much as possible. This set up also pulls ca fumes into the wall. The fan cabinet is on wheels so that I can roll it out and use it as a down draft dust catcher. The only change I would make is I would try to find a heater core to place at the air outlet and kill two birds with one stone.

I also plumbed in shop a vac under the part of the work bench which holds my band saw, sander, drill press, and other power tools. I used 1 1/2" pvc pipe under the bench with 5-
1 1/2" holes near the back of the bench. I plug used holes to increase suction at the hole for the tool used. The added benifit is that when cleaning the bench I unplug all the holes and just sweep the dust toward the holes.

I painted the work surface with floor paint. It takes a couple of weeks to dry but the stuff is bullet proof. Also because of limited space I got rid of my multi-drawer parts cabinets and opted for Westward and Plano organizers. They have lids and multiple/variable compartments, their stackable and take up a lot less space. I lucked out when I was building my shop Home Depot had the Westward 24 and 15 compartment organizers on sale for a buck apiece. The last ones I bought were Plano from Cabellas.

Name:	Om32666.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1329783  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Name:	Xv64435.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1329788  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt whether one will ever have an ideal workshop. When I started mine, I was still flying small planes, they have grown in size but the workshop stayed the same. It measures 3.5m by 4m. I'm using kitchen cabinet units which can be bought separately, re-inforce the bottom chasis and fit lockable castors so I can move it all around depending what I'm working on. I've fitted glass tops so I can put info , pics etc underneath whilst I can cut covering material and balsa on the glass - also build on it, just scrape the glass with a box knife blade to clean superglue, epoxy and paint off it.

I use upright wooden supports, drill holes in it, fit dowels in it and use it to store my wings.

My feather foam cutter is mounted on a pull out tray underneath the benchtop with the yellow/orange/red wing on it.

Name:	Fa86507.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1329800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19593.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	1329801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20378.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	1329802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar99566.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1329803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63470.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1329804  
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
taildrager

My hanger is a 12 X 8 shed with 2 benches with4 model aeroplanes a glider and my mountain bike alng with my flight box ,tv ,etc : it does 4 me .
Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM
AA5BY

When I built my home many years ago, designing a modeling room was important.

Name:	Us53249.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1329914  
The following users liked this post:
n.vouloumanos (12-27-2022)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was my space, now I'm working out of a closet. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Well, not realy, but close.

Charles

Name:	mk25211.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1330029   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71145.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1330030   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd91890.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1330031   Click image for larger version

Name:	om34244.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1330032  
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
was the family tv room ,now my rc nut room

Name:	Ig11425.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1330140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24700.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1330141  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Gutaaaooo

Here is mine!
Not the bigest, but I have a Hargar room to keep the big birds at, and this way I only work on one model a time.

Name:	tq48575.jpg
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	1330970   Click image for larger version

Name:	tp46378.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	579.0 KB
ID:	1330971   Click image for larger version

Name:	hm22450.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	1330972   Click image for larger version

Name:	wq42022.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	1330973   Click image for larger version

Name:	gr92947.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	1330974   Click image for larger version

Name:	cs15837.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	1330975   Click image for larger version

Name:	ya58032.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	1330976  
Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Avaiojet, your room must smell like Balsa (I wish mine did)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I'm going to play without pictures as I suck at drawing and you didn't want this to become a show me your shop thread.

1: Workbench without legs. Makes it easy to sweep up and cleanup. Benches are mounted to the wall. I do have a building table in the middle of my shop but all other benches are mounted to the walls. The one exception is the single bench where my mill and lathe are. I have extra legs to help support the weight and keep things level.

2: Dust filteration system. Don't have it yet but I will have one very soon.

3: Electrical outlets on the front edge of your bench. Keeps the power cords out of the way and if you space them every four feet on your bench, you will always be within easy reach of power.

4: Small Fridge. Keeps the CA fresh but more importantly it keeps my Shiner Bock nice and frosty.

5: Sanding Table. I use to have a table with a peg board top and would hookup my shop vac while sanding. It was a great way to keep the dust down in my shop.

6: Shelves and sealed storage bins for all your bits and pieces. Keeps things organized and all the balsa dust out.

7: A dedicated hangar space for all completed planes that doesn't intrude on your building area. Having to shuffle things around constantly while building is a real PITA.

8: A spare folding table to lay all your kit parts and pieces on while building. Makes for more pleasant building and the table can be folded up and stored out of the way when not in use.

Oh Heck, heres some pics to give you an idea I'm talking about. Also found the origianl layout for the shop.

Bench with legs for machine tools.

Workbench with outlets on front edge and you can see these are built and supported soley by the angle brackets which makes it easy to sweep up without a bunch of vertical bench legs in the way.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM
H5487

Ted,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I didn't want this thread to be a place for guys to brag about their workshops but a thread where workshop ideas could be shared. As I mentioned at the beginning, I am in the process of designing my next house and I wanted to include a nice R/C workshop right from the beginning, instead of building the house first and then trying to make a spare bedroom or garage half work. Thanks for the drawing and the great discussion about what you did and why!

Your point about the legless workbenches to make cleanup easier is well worth considering. About two years ago, R/C Report magazine (RIP) carried a story by cabinet builder Tom Clark who adamently opposed open shelving in a workshop becuse of its propensity to collect dust and the difficulty of keeping open shelving clean. While Tom likes to enclose the undersides of his workbenches with cabinets (to provide storage space that won't attract dust and dirt) your legless workbench idea is a good compromise that makes cleanup easier but doesn't require building cabinets. By the way, Tom puts out an EXCELLENT book on workshop ideas that I highly recommend. While his book doesn't contain workshop floorplans (which is what I wanted this thread to be) it does contain a lot of neat ideas!

I also noted in your pictures that you had installed an airconditioner in your shop. While it would be impossible for us to work in an unairconditioned shop in the summertime around here (I did note your League City location), an airconditioner is more than just a comfort item. A shop airconditioner separate from the main house air conditioner also serves to keep balsa dust and dope fumes out of the house, which goes a long way towards keeping the peace in the family!

Harvey
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Lnewqban

Great ideas, Tx_RcFlyer; I like the legless and outlets ones!

For a window AC unit like that, the vent should be kept open, so the fumes don't accumulate in the closed conditioned shop.

For a half blind guy like me, tons of light over the working stations is very important also.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Bundubasher

Hi T5487,
I don't think it is a case of bragging, we are sharing ideas. There is no such a thing as an ideal workshop, even if it is gold plated. The idea is to get the best bang for your buck.

Hey, myself and most people I know have always a ton of stuff lying around because we are at wits end what to do with it.
Sofar there was some good and interesting stuff and we are looking forward to see more,
work benches, shelving, building templates, cabinets/closets, machine tools...drawers for special stuff.... Cheers
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Berta

Hi Harvey

Acouple of ideas that you may consider in the design of “Your Ideal†shop are as follows.

Large storage boxes with lids and wheels faced to resemble drawers, in my opinion are better than cupboards under a bench because you get to use all of the space available, and the lids help keep out the dust. The wheels also permit a more thorough cleaning of the box/drawer itself and the area where it is parked when the mood strikes.

Electrical outlets in the ceiling above the work bench and stationary power tools helps control cord clutter. Ever notice for example that your shop Vac will not run over its cord, a ceiling mounted outlet solves this little aggravation. If your shop has a high ceiling, custom make some extensions that hang just above head height. You will be surprised a just how handy these are.

One mistake (in my view) a lot of fellows make is too large a work bench.
Make your bench just big enough to accommodate what you plan build.
“Big bench = Big clutter†The more flat surfaces you have the less room you ultimately have to work in.
Where to go BIG is on STORAGE…. The more “away†you have the better.
Put stuff away when you are done using it and you will be surprise how much less room you truly need.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pictures of existing workshops actually help me develop ideas for my own "dream" shop. So I like to see the pictures that are posted.

And as a side note, I have been and worked in Minnflyer's "Manland". It is as close to being perfect of a shop setup as anything I've ever seen. Let me rephrase that, when I die I don't want to go to heaven.... I want to go to Minn's Manland!!!!!! </p>

</p>

Ken</p>
Old 12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,ve also been to MANLAND, and it is a very nice setup. No brag, just fact.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well my buddy had the Ultimate shop building until his wife ran off and he lost the acreage. 30 by 70 feet building,flawless concrete floor built for heavy machinery and you could pull a semi tractor trailer or two in there. Rafters must have been close to twenty feet. Plenty of overhead to hang planes or build a storage floor area.

it would also have doubled as my car project area if I had that thing.

He had steel storage racks in there that could have held 20 v8 car engines, each unit..

I would have had a paint booth, sand blast booth, car hoist, and about 8 roller tables with a 4by8 foot sheet of plywood for airplane projects. Each plane would have a table, you roll them back against the wall to keep it out of the way..and roll out the one you feel like working on.

Oh yeah his back door on the building opened out to an area just big enough to make your own runway ..it was surrounded by farm land no neighbors within a half mile.

It WAS the perfect setup.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Bundubasher

RCKen, any pic's for us that is not in that part of the valley? Cheers
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
H5487

Bundubasher, RCKen and others who may (or may not) have been put off by my request not to turn this thread into a place for guys to brag about their workshops...

I like looking at other guy's shops too and there are several well-populated threads on RCU for just that. However, those pictures are mostly the "Hey, look at what I've got" type and have little in the way of education. Frankly, I'm looking for written suggestions such as legless workbenches and ceiling-mounted electrical outlets than more pictures of guy's workbenches with their latest pride-and-joys displayed on them.

No offense intended, guys, but I'm not necessarily looking for pictures of your shops as much as I am asking about your thoughts on them. Many of you have some great shops. Please TELL us about them; what features you incorporated into your shops and what you would change if you were to do them over.

And if you can toss in a drawing of the floorplan, so much the better!

Harvey
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I really like having rolling work tables.
the ones I have now are nice but the bigger the better, I think that should be a high priority for the floor plan of any shop with some walking room. By using a lower toolbox unit it also keeps parts and tools handy!

I make a 2by4 foot flat top on it, then lay a ceiling tile down. I don't do that much building /framing on them as they are smallish..But its an incredible route to go when finishing up. You can lay foam pads and sandbags down to protect parts. Or even use foam cradles on it. The ability to reposition the table for the best access or lighting is a benefit also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.