Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good lord! What else do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 PM
dkf1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good lord! What else do i need?

Ok, I've decided to buy myself a T-maxx. Other than the truck, what else do I need in order to keep my truck healthy? Keep in mind I need to keep this as cheap as I can. Here is my list of things I've got in my tower shopping cart so far...

Traxxas Nitro T-Maxx 2.5 RTR w/3-Channel Radio 364.99
DuraTrax Kwik-Pit 250cc Fuel Bottle 5.99
12-Sanyo AA Alkaline Battery 5.97
DuraTrax Shark 6-Cell 1500mAh Sport Standard 10.99
Tower Hobbies 400 AC/DC Auto Charger 19.99
2- Traxxas Heavy Duty Long Glow Plug 8.58

Can you guys think of anything else I need? Or am gonna wish I had bought? What about a Temp Gauge? There's a DuraTrax FlashPoint Infrared Temperature Gauge for $25.00 I was looking at. Is a temp gauge a must have? For breaking in? What is the air filter that every one talks about? Motor Saver? Do you guys recommend that? Another question I have is, can I run airplane fuel in this truck? It would sure be nice to be able to use the same fuel for all my toys. How do my choices up above look? Could I do without any of those? Could I find a better, cheaper one? Please guys. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
dkf1979

Default RE: Good lord! What else do i need?

Fail-safe. I guess that's another "must have". I'd hate to have my brand new toy smack into a brick wall at 40 mph!! What kind and how much? Man this adds up quick! Gonna have some explaining to do to the wife. [&:] Gulp.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

That would be a good temp gun to get, good insurance to save your engine
You can run airplane fuel (not recemended) you wont get top proformance with it. Traxxas Top Fuel 20% works good
Stock filter fine for now get motor saver when you want
Your going to need motor spray or brake parts cleaner to clean it
Bearing oil & after run oil or mystery oil
You did good on your order most people just order the truck then when they get it they find out what they need
Have Fun
Old 10-20-2004, 12:01 AM
t to the maxx2

temp guage is a MUST.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run airplane fuel in your truck! There was a really good thread a while ago in the Fuels section i think... do a search! Basically, if it makes you feel better, you can buy car fuel, but if you're just bashing using airplane fuel won't make a difference, except that you'll notice that your wallet is a little fatter. [8D]
Old 10-20-2004, 09:14 AM
redheat8

Failsafe , temp. gun, extra plugs MC59, MC8,or OS - LC3 . Trinity Monster Brew 20% fuel, good Rx cells, RED
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
teamrayman

The best and cheapest fail safe every is a thick elastic band going from the servo arm to a shock tower or somten else that is stable enough to take the pressure. just make sure there is not too much strain on the servo. i have them on my two cars and it has saved them from hitting the wall millions of times.

Ray

P.S. make sure to change them every few months cause they wear out after a while.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Frost_

....of course what you meant to say was "in addition to a failsafe, a throttle return spring provides excellent protection".

In case you didn't mean that lemme lay out a scenario for you.

With new batteries when you pull your trigger your servo opens and gives it gas, regardless of the return spring as it should. Now you get some interference from any number of sources. Your RX reads the interference as WOT time, jerks the carb open and the truck rockets off ignoring your radio...

For better-rounded protection the fail-safe saves you from interference and the spring saves you from a battery that gets weak/dies with the carb open.

Peace.