Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

EasyGlider gets a new paint job!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

EasyGlider gets a new paint job!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
SAFZERO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EasyGlider gets a new paint job!

I thought i would share my experience of painting my EasyGlider. It's amazing what a little spray paint and patience will do. I got the idea for the paint scheme from the AMA May edition (cover page). After seeing how good that plane looked I just could not resist the urge.

After testing a few different spray paint brands from the hardware store, I decided on using Testors Model Master. Most cheap spray paints from Home Depot softened the foam, which could be dangerous given that it compromises the entire airframe. Krylon seemed ok, but I could not get fancy colors in Krylon, so I resorted to using the following colors from Model Master:

(2) Racing Blue (Semi Gloss)
Silver (Semi Gloss)
Flat Black
Flat White

Model Master paint is pricey. It cost $5 per can, and the cans are tiny; only 3oz each! I purchased about 5 cans total. I barely had enough to apply 2 full coats of Racing Blue, but I managed to do it with some left over for touch ups!

If you plan on painting your EasyGlider like mine, I would recommend getting a crapload of masking tape because I used 2 entire rolls. The taping is the biggest pain in the ***** because if you want nice lines between the colors you need to be very neat and patient. I had to wait for each color to completely dry before attempting to tape over it and apply the adjacent color.

The entire job took me about 1 week working a few hours per day. In the end it was worth it because the plane looks so nice in the air, especially the wide white stripes on the wings; she looks like an Eagle (a blue one :-)) screaming through the air.

NOTE: The stripes on the top side of the wing are duplicated on the bottom of the left wing only. This makes it easier to determine which direction the plane is flying since, if you see 2 stripes, the plane is banking towards you, 1 stripe and the plane is banking away from you. I got that tip from aeajr whom I fly with at my flying filed, and is also a moderator on the RCU.