Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

newbie looking for good f-86

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

newbie looking for good f-86

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 04:14 PM
privatepilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for good f-86

I'm looking for info on a "budget" f-86 model to get into ducted fan flying. I am not looking for a super concours scale model that I'll have $3000 invested in when I'm done, but I also don't want the $400 POS kyosho thing. I've been building and flying for 15 years now, and DF is the only thing I haven't tried yet. So, who's kit do you recommend, how hard are they to build, what do I need for a powerplant, how complete is the kit, and what should I expect to spend when I'm done? I appreciate all opinions.

Blue Skies!
Chad
Old 02-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default F-86

Hi Chad,

Contact Ed or Kevin at Great Northern Models. They offer the Trim F-86 at a killer price. I viewed one of these kits firsthand at Superman 02'.

This kit is very comprehensive, looks great and is Very affordable! (especially for the D/F modeler). If you can build a glass pattern plane, you can build the Trim F-86!

Go here for more details:

http://members.rogers.com/embrocki/GNModelSite/home.htm

I ALMOST went home with the Trim F-86 myself! Very nice kit!

Craig
Old 02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
privatepilot

thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:15 PM
DaFatha

Chad,

We have a great flying F-86 Sabre kit that won't break the bank. Check our website at www.jethangar.com.

Best regards,
Larry Wolfe
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad,

I DID go home with a Trim F-86 at Superman 2002!!! I did not make my decision at the jet rally but a few months in advance and had Kevin and Ed drop ship the model there from Australia. You absolutely cannot beat the value due to the US dollar vs the Ausie dollar. My turbine kit included every last nut, bolt and screw, as well as premade fuel tanks, carbon fiber bypass, s/s exhaust pipe, and all of the other goodies. All of the flying surfaces come pre-sheeted. All of the wood parts are accurately machined. There is much more so contact Great Northern models!!! All this for only $950!!! The ducted fan version is cheaper and uses the more popular .90 size engines. Another good thing about this kit is that you can make it as simple or complicated as you like. Fully decked out this model won a scale masters type contest in Australia a few years back. PM me with your # if you would like to talk more.

Kevin
Old 02-25-2003, 09:18 PM
privatepilot

$950 minus the turbine right??

I've decided to hold off. Thanks for the replies guys, but I just can't see spending $1500-$2000+ on a model. I thought I'd be able to get into it a little cheaper. Once I finish my kitplane, maybe I'll regroup and reassess.

thanks again.
chad
Old 02-25-2003, 10:02 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F-86

Check out the Electric Jet Factory F-86. It uses electric or glow fans. It's entry level but flies great. Glow version uses .21 to 25 size motor. See http://electricjetfactory.com for more details.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:09 PM
privatepilot

What DF and engine combo would that plane use?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:44 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

PrivatePilot,

Did you look at the JHH F-86 kit? As I recall, you should be able to get that jet in the air, with all NIB hardware, for around $1150.

Peter

p.s. Be careful of the .25 sized glow DF kits. There are no production .25 sized DF engines in production currently, and if you can't find one on the used/eBay market, you next alternative is spending $270-$350 (i.e. same price as a .46 or .91 DF engine)on a .21 sized buggy engine...which will require modification (i.e. machining) of the cylinder head colling fins before it will fit in the fan unit.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Kevin Greene

Chad,

Personally, I would stay away from the .45 size jets. (And smaller) If you cannot afford a new kit then I would look right here on RCU for a good used or NIB model. Recently, I saw a NIB BVM Sabre complete with engine, fan unit, pipe and a few other goodies for less than $1000. Yes, it was an older Sabre kit but still a good one. Smaller models can have difficulty flying from some grass fields, not to mention that they aren't very popular anymore. With a larger model, if you should decide to sell it if jet modeling is not for you, the resale value should be higher. Jets are expensive compared to some of the other segments of the hobby, but not anymore than a nice giant scale, pattern plane, or helicopter. Take your time and buy what you need as you build your model----It will be worth it!!!

Kevin
Old 02-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Kevin Greene

Chad,

Click on this to see an example of a good deal here on RCU!!!! Keep looking---There will be more...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...highlight=f-86

Kevin
Old 02-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad,

Though Kevin and I don't always agree on everything, I definitely agree with him 100% on this one. Any 'specialty' segment of the hobby is gonna set you back more than the usual, but in the end, it's turned out to be worth it for most who've tried. I'm also thinking seriously about the Trim F-86. I've dealt with Kevin and Ed of Great Northern Models and I'd buy from them without a second though.

Though the smaller (.45-sized) jets might save you a little in the beginning, I agree that the larger DF planes make more sense if you're planning to get equipment that can grow with you. Also, should the day come when you want to try a turbine, you're going to have a much higher probability of success retrofitting a bigger jet rather than a smaller one.

RCU is a great source for used equipment, and you can often find VERY good deals here. Also, if you decide to get something second-hand, feel free to post on here about it. You'll get lots of good advice, and since Jets is a relatively small community, the people in here often know of who's selling what and what's a good deal. Good luck.

By the way, what kit plane are you building? I'm also a private pilot, and one of these days I'm going to take another shot at kit-plane building.