Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 45 shredded a bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
multicasting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 45 shredded a bearing

Today, my YS-45FS had a rear crank bearing fail today in flight. A couple of the ball bearings made short work of the piston. I have removed the crank, but I can't get the bearing off the crank. How do I get it off. Upon removing the crank, the outer ring, and the bearing fell off. But the inner ring of the rear bearing is stuck fast to the crank. Do I have to cut it off?

Bob
Old 12-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS 45 shredded a bearing

A bearing splitter would help, but you probably don't have one. Cutting it off is an option, but extreme care should be taken not to cut the crank. If you feel unable to get it off safely, I can take it off if you like, send it to the PO Box on our webpage, to my attention.

Include your e-mail address and phone number.

Dave
Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM
multicasting

Is there a price list for parts for the 45? I think you are the only place that is going to have them now. I am curious if this engine is worth the rebuild, espiecially if I have damage on the crank. The balancer appears to be nicked.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Dave Shadel

I doubt that the crank is damaged. You mean the counterweight has a nicK? No big deal, as long as the crankpin is not damaged. Check with YS Parts at 775-782-4562 for parts prices.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 PM
iglowhead
My Feedback: (192)

Hey Bob,
You should be able to get the inner part of the bearing off with heat. I use a propane torch to remove an install bearings. Does not take much heat. Only enough to get it to where you don't want to hold it in your hand. Wear a glove and as soon as you heat it hit the end of the crank against a piece of hard wood or a sheet of plastic on concrete. It should slide off. If not put threaded end in a vice (plastic jawed) and tap it off with a brass bar and hammer. May take a few heatings to get it all the way off.
See you at the field
Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 PM
multicasting

Cool! I hit the balancer with the cutoff wheel and nicked it. I've already salvaged the muffler and carb off this engine to to get another 45 running. The other 45 was supposed to be the spare parts engine but just became the primary! I am having a bear betting this bearing off. I may have to take you up on the offer. take a look and tell me if I have done the unthinkable and damaged this crank.

ORIGINAL: Dave Shadel

I doubt that the crank is damaged. You mean the counterweight has a nicK? No big deal, as long as the crankpin is not damaged. Check with YS Parts at 775-782-4562 for parts prices.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29517.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	366007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86869.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	366008  
Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Dave Shadel

Obviously the piston/cylinder is junk, but I think the crank will live.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
multicasting

Don't be so tough on the piston! It wasn't his fault.

OK, I gotta tell you I am loving the power of these YS 45 engines. Currently, my good YS 45 is on an ultrstick. Sicne this isn't an airframe designed for speed, I am using the engine because I want on demand power, especially in the vertical. I noticed in a post you made earlier this year, you noted you used a 12.25x3.75 prop. The prop chart in the manual doesn't consider alternative props.

What would you suggest? I have a 12x3, but I worry about over reving the engine. I would like to have a prop that won't allow the engine to over rev in a power dive, by may give me an opportunity to try some 3D stuff. (Oh joy!)

ORIGINAL: Dave Shadel

Obviously the piston/cylinder is junk, but I think the crank will live.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Dave Shadel

Try a 12x4 or 13x4. I used the 12x4 on a 45 in an old Tadpole a few years back and it worked great.