ZDZ 60- need #"S

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 03:31 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZDZ 60- need #"S

Hi ,

I have a ZDZ 80 in my 30% Carden Cap and the ridiculous amount of power available makes the aircraft very difficult to fly- especially to land on a short field as one click of throttle trim is the diff between a flyby, landing or dead stick. The airplane is 20lbs.

I think i'm going to swap it out for a ZDZ 60 because it should be a nice plug in fit.

Can u fellows flying the 60 give me some rpm #'s on common prop sizes ie Menz 22x10, 24x8 so I can get an idea of it's power.

I'm trying to determine if it is more powerful than the Taurus 52 that I have sitting here that I could use instead.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 07:24 PM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 60- need #"S

If you flight 3D you can't use the ZDZ 60 for 20lbs aerobatic plane

I suggest the ZDZ 60 for plane with maximum of 18.5 lbs for 3D

My buddy have one and is very good engine and the best prop for it is MenzS 24x8 and the test that i remenber was the MenzS 24x10 6200rpm
Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 PM
rmh

Default ZDZ 60- need #"S

the rpm is same as I get using the JMB can.
I have it in a 18.75 lb 1500 sq in Giles -I designed - we find that this setup is fully capable of all flying.
20 lbs will still fly but as noted the 80 is a better match.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:42 PM
luv2flyrc

Default 80

I don't want to be short on power as I like to torgue roll and do some 3 d stuff but as I said the 80 on this airframe is like flying a rocket ship.

I have another 80 on my 25.5lbs hangar 9 sukhoi and I really like the performance of this ship, it's just right. I should mention that I have both my 80's on Ks Canisters so, they are putting out alot of power, but it's the landings that I find difficult with the 80 in the 30% Cap. The airframe is much smaller than the Sukhoi and alot less drag, the big prop turning on the 80 anywhere above a slow tick-over will fly the plane. I fly off a relatively short field where I have to get down and on the ground falirly quick.

It is also difficult to torque roll as the hover power is just a few clicks off idle. The Suk is much easier to torque roll as the required power is 1/2 stick or so, so u have some room to play.

I do have throttle curves programed in but there is no way around the fact that the airplane flys well just above idle.

If the 60 is not enough can u make any other suggestions for engines? the only one I can think of is the 3w 70 that might fit the bill.

Mike
Old 05-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

Default ZDZ 60- need #"S

I have a nice Quadra 75 electronic ign. I'll trade ya for. I need the extra power for my 27 pounder.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default ZDZ 60- need #"S

Engine change?
Just change the prop!
Go to a 26x8 Menz-S.
That'll slow the landing speed down and also make it easier to hover.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 AM
luv2flyrc

Default 26x8

Hi Diablo,

Now there's a great idea that hadn't occured to me

I was thinking larger diam less pitch but, I don't have the ground clearance available

I guess it wouldn't hurt to just lessen the pitch. It'll scream on the top end but you're absolutely right in that it will slow the landing speed.

I'll try that route before going to a smaller engine.

Thnx

Mike