Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber wing tube messy?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carbon fiber wing tube messy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber wing tube messy?

I just got my cf landing gear and wing tube from graphtech. They do feel much lighter than my stock stuff. The wing tube is very messy though. I get a fine powder on my hands when I hold the tube and I noticed it leaves a residue in the tube on the fuse. Is this normal????

My landing gear is fine. It has a smooth surface and is what I'm used too with carbon fiber. I'm worried over time the tube will wear down and have play in the tube inside the wings.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Turbobruce

Default RE: Carbon fiber wing tube messy?

Anybody have any experience with any carbon fiber tubes?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dust on the tube is normal. Also leaving carbon on your hand is normal. C/F tubes are pretty tough. I wouldn't be using one for a baseball bat, but they will take a larger load without bending than the aluminum tube you had, at a much lighter weight. You also gain the advantage of cutting the tube to the exact length of the wing sockets to eliminate any end to end movement of the tube, should you choose to do so.

To stop the residue from getting all over your hands and whatever, use a decent quality automotive paste wax and wax the tube. This seals the surface, preventing the transfer of carbon to your hands, with a side benefit of letting the tube slide easier into the wing and fuselage.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Jleyland

Hi - I suspect the tube is rotating in the phenolic and wings while in flight. Another thing you can do is use an automotive hose clamp around the phenolic in the fuse. This will keep the tube from rotating and stop the cf tube from wearing.
jon
reason for edit - added pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43006.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	212103  
Old 01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Turbobruce

Thanks guys,

I havent flown the plane yet and I wasn't sure about the surface. I feel better now.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Turbobruce

I just put my cf wing tube and landing gear on an accurate letter scale and I saved almost a whole pound of weight!!! Almost 7oz of savings just from the wing tube alone!!! I bought the wing tube from graphtech for 44.00. 7.4oz savings from the gear. This is for a Hanger 9 extra 330s(new version)
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Jleyland

ORIGINAL: Turbobruce

Thanks guys,

I havent flown the plane yet and I wasn't sure about the surface. I feel better now.
lol well i guess that rules out my theory that its rotating in flight!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

INteresting, I was thinking about that for a new project of mine. A pound sounds like a lot
Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Turbobruce

ORIGINAL: Geistware

INteresting, I was thinking about that for a new project of mine. A pound sounds like a lot

I would not have believed it myself if I did not see it. You can really feel the difference just by holding the gear and tube in your hands. Once again, the scale I used is my buddies and he weighs his falcons with it and it has to be on the money. I was really surprized at the savings from the wing tube.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I KNOW mine wasn't rotating in flight... man that thing was tight (it still is, but I sold the plane). The Troy Built tubes are just a little on the messy side... I will try the wax if I get another.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Turbobruce

For the 7oz I saved it is worth the mess. I too will try the wax!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geistware,

I did some weight comparisons for the gear and wing tubes with a 28% Wild Hare plane at the post office. I figured that the scale our governments have us pay for should be reasonably accurate, since out government will never spare us any expense in the quest for the best possible equipment.

Anyway, using the Troy Built suplied c/f wing tube and Graphtech c/f landing gear, there was close to 15 ounces reduced from the planes weight from when it was equipped with aluminum components. I ended up using fiberglass landing gear in the end and re-gained 6/10 of an ounce over the c/f gear, but the glass gear was quite a bit stronger.

The C/F wing tubes are a lot stronger than the aluminum tubes, and arrive at your door as straight as they can be. Sometimes I think the aluminum tubes arrive pre-bent, and only get worse with time and flight stresses.

Is the carbon stuff worth the money? That's something that each has to decide upon.

Pat