Community
Search
Notices
Cars, Trucks, and Tanks - All Ad listings Listings by RCU members of personally owned RC cars, trucks, tanks, and kits for sale.

Hey folks, Newbie here. Fleet Sale!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 05:04 PM
Witch Doctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey folks, Newbie here. Fleet Sale!

So yes, I'm a newbie here, but an rc car guy from the 80s. So, I am contemplating selling my cars. I have a fleet of late 80s to early 90s rides. By fleet I mean 13 vintage cars. 9 nitro and 4 electric. I am contemplating selling them as they've been mothballed since about 98 or so. My problem is I don't know where or how to find out about values. I'm not looking to hit home runs. I would rather make a little and they go to die hard rcers. I recently sold a 1981 Serpent Mk IV that was a running, completely original car, with a virgin factory clear Parma body with 6 stiffeners and a nice Lumina body on it.T here were 10 sets of different wheels with cut tires for different tracks and assorted Xtra parts. I sold it on a man's word of what the value of the car was. He was a big rc player but apparently not a man of many morals or scruples. I was floored when after the fact I found that the car was very sought after and it was sold for pennies on the dollar! I don't want too lose faith in people but I also would like a fair deal for everyone concerned. The first car I might sell would be a Kyosho Burns Dx. It is in exceptional original condition. As in, only a couple of scratches on the bottom. I will gladly give more info and pictures to right person. I promise if I am hung out to dry again I will take the rest to the back 40, dig a hole and throw the lot in it. It would be a great loss to everyone as I may not know the values but I do know that they all are desirable vintage, lovingly cared for rides. Please, somebody help me out with this problem and possibly you might be the one who benefits from it. Thanks to all !!

Last edited by Witch Doctor; 12-18-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:40 AM
Putz22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about posting what's available?
The following users liked this post:
BuffaloG (02-03-2024)
Old 12-23-2023, 08:59 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Witch Doctor
So yes, I'm a newbie here, but an rc car guy from the 80s. So, I am contemplating selling my cars. I have a fleet of late 80s to early 90s rides. By fleet I mean 13 vintage cars. 9 nitro and 4 electric. I am contemplating selling them as they've been mothballed since about 98 or so. My problem is I don't know where or how to find out about values. I'm not looking to hit home runs. I would rather make a little and they go to die hard rcers. I recently sold a 1981 Serpent Mk IV that was a running, completely original car, with a virgin factory clear Parma body with 6 stiffeners and a nice Lumina body on it.T here were 10 sets of different wheels with cut tires for different tracks and assorted Xtra parts. I sold it on a man's word of what the value of the car was. He was a big rc player but apparently not a man of many morals or scruples. I was floored when after the fact I found that the car was very sought after and it was sold for pennies on the dollar! I don't want too lose faith in people but I also would like a fair deal for everyone concerned. The first car I might sell would be a Kyosho Burns Dx. It is in exceptional original condition. As in, only a couple of scratches on the bottom. I will gladly give more info and pictures to right person. I promise if I am hung out to dry again I will take the rest to the back 40, dig a hole and throw the lot in it. It would be a great loss to everyone as I may not know the values but I do know that they all are desirable vintage, lovingly cared for rides. Please, somebody help me out with this problem and possibly you might be the one who benefits from it. Thanks to all !!
Try getting shipping materials together, cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, a pirateship.com account, and start selling your cars one by one on eBay, since auctions require you to learn nothing about the value of anything, rather informed buyers will bid against each other - making you the winner, every time. You'll pay a 14.8% fee, and pay the IRS income tax getting a 1099 at the end of the year. In spite of that, you'll always come out ahead of getting screwed anywhere else. Auctions should end on Sunday around 9pm PST. Start the bid at your rock bottom dollar to avoid reserve fees.
I started RC in the 1970's, left it in the 1980s, with a close full of kits. I returned in 2003, and when I did, I experienced the same crap you have suffered from unscrupulous modelers all over the forums and even locally, taking advantage as if they were at an estate sale fleecing widows. If you give it away when they low ball you, that's on your for allowing it. I switched and STILL maintain an eBay account with no regrets. Thousands of transactions accumulated over 20 years stepping up for friends, widows, and selling items in their behalf always made me feel good I was serving their needs the best possible way. This hobby has literally cost me nothing to enjoy, with a steady supply coming into my garage, there is plenty left over to fly. I still don't have to sweat the price tag on anything when I post it for sale on eBay's auction site. You can view completed sales in advanced search to see what the same items sold for in the past 90 days, but everything now is in decline, so don't expect top dollar anywhere as people hold onto their money. After the election, then people will spill money out of their wallets, if you can wait that long.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:50 AM
Witch Doctor

Default Witch Doctor here: (don't ask)

OK So I'm not forum savvy so I'm probably doing this wrong. Thanks for the info on selling. Much appreciated! I guess my biggest problem is finding out what is a fair price to ask for my cars. If there were a Kelly blue book for rc cars life would be easy. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:57 AM
bifft it

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EPIG(ebay) is the "kelly bluebook" of RC. type your model in a search and hope for the best. the extras don't usually fetch much of a premium that i have found
Old 04-07-2024, 02:21 AM
nafe2009
My Feedback: (77)

Ebay chargers 16% of the total sale on rc related items