Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Help To choose the right boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Help To choose the right boat

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 AM
lalasboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help To choose the right boat

Hello all....

I have been reading this forum for quite a while and i have searched alot for finding the right boat for my needs. But i need your help in order to settle in one boat.

First of all, the boat will NOT run in lake or pond or river. It will run in open sea.
I have excluded the cat hull just because i don't like them ( its just me [8D] )
I have then searched for a mono hull of various manufacturers and have concluded that i should get one of the following:

1) from Bonzisports the 54'' Fountain ( the 64'' is just too big to carry around )

2) from whh the Magnum57

3) from expresscraft arapaho or cheetah

4) from sonic racing the 60'' titan

Now all of the above i think that are the best ones so far...... BUT i really think that if i need to run the boat in open sea it means that it must be well constructed to handle big waves AND also be stable at high speeds when sea is dead calm ( which we get quite often during summer mornings or even evenings )

Second i need the boat to have as much power as i can get from a single engine setup. ( i have excluded the inline setups...... i need things simple ). This means that i can run the boat fine on rough conditions using 40% upto 60% of engines power ( using the throttle hi point setup on the control) but when the sea is calm i just want to slam on the throttle and have as much speed as possible.

Another thing is that i control the boat far out at sea with My RIB boat, so i like to make small journeys from point A to point B .

I know for a fact that Stepped hulls on large scale boats can get better speeds than the boats that do not have stepped hulls. This rule i do not know it it applies in scale models. If it does then i will for sure go for one. Bonzi or sonic racing. The magnum and expesscraft i cannot tell by the pictures that they have on their web site.

So which one do you think is best for my needs? I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

Chris
Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Help To choose the right boat

Welcome to the forum Chris,

Sounds like you have done plenty of research for what you are looking for. I think all the boats you have listed would be good choices for your application and each would have an edge over the other in certain situations.

One boat not listed but worthy of consideration would be the Expresscraft GTX. It is a little longer than those you have listed (at 65") but is a very capable hull with very good performance characteristics. It will handle the rough with the best of them yet has very impressive handling and control at high speeds when the seas permit. It is a stepped hull and will respond very well to a single zenoah (speeds to around 50mph) and can be ordered with a heavier layup should you consider the pounding requiring such.

You will find several builds going on here on RCU using this hull with a variety of powerplants. I have two in the works with bigger (50+cc) powerplants at the moment and earlier this week helped another member (Pete) with his new GTX (running a single Toxic mod Zen) Pics [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/petesgtx]here[/link] and more pics [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/rirun]here[/link] from his first run.

The concept of using a single powerplant is very good for a boat that you intend on running in rough conditions - Rough seas do not require top speed as you have mentioned. You may want to add a little weight to the boat for added stability. A single motor is going to prove a lot easier to get restarted should you flip her or take a bad wave.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 AM
lalasboat

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

i was thinking about the gtx and i was a little bit scared of the size.... i might as well reconsider it if i want to have some fun in waves.

BTW here is a link to youtube i made yesterday.... this is my first RTR made in china boat 50 inches..... it only lasted around 20 minutes.... flexi shaft snapped..... transom was full of cracks and deck separated from hull in various places.....
well thats what happens to you when you are a beginner.....after spending some money and reading alot you kinda know whats good and whats not good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eUo0tej-k enjoy and pls comment on my firs video and first youtube upload
Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 AM
sonicracing

Hi Chris, For all out fun on big water, a single engine is the way to go up to say 65". All of the boats you have listed as well as the GTX65 are all quality hulls so it will come back to shipping costs to get a hull to you.

Cheers, Danny.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM
magnum57

Hey Chris,
the magnum57 is a very simple boat. the magnum 57 was my first boat and i learned alot from it. i'm running a bonzi 64" fountian and wish it was my fisrt one, it has the twin inline and is very reliable and has the speed the magnum can't put out unless you mod it and then it gets sticky. bonzi all the way. very tuff boat and with the mhz outdrive its just a pleasure to run in big H2o.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM
glennb2006

Hi Chris.

Have you looked at the boats that Prestwich do for offshore. Probably 6 and two 3's ref. shipping to Cyprus from UK or the USA. Also look at the OMRA web site, some boats there you may want to consider for offshore use.

Links:

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/
http://www.omra-uk.org/index2.htm

Have fun with whatever you choose. At least you get to run for loads of time in decent weather.

If I sound jealous, it's because I am!! I do enjoy Cyprus.

Glenn.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 PM
lalasboat

hello glen

thank you for your kind words...

well i have seen prestwicth models and i have also purchased from e-may one miami 55 which had a lot of work to be done to it. the motor wat a modified zenoah the 7Hp version...... it was a mess when i got it. I tried to open it and saw that the piston was discouloured at the top and also on the sides were scratches. It seems that the previous owner must have overheated the engine. I tried to take appart the cooling head but it was impossible to do so . Also the inlet and outlet nipples of the cooling head came appart from rust and on top of that the whole cooling chamber was full of white powder ( not salt ). i scratched the engine and decited to get some parts from WHH.... new engine drive system fuel bottle.... receiver box ... etc etc.....
Also the hull and deck were not properly glued together so you can see various open gaps along the line....
Well i have to admit that i made a bad buy off e-bay. i do not complain about it. My decision ....my risk.... my money....!!!!

so now i was thinking ... ok i bought this thing from ebay.... i spent x amount of money..... i also spent x amount of money to get the right parts to fix the boat..... but still i dont have a brand new one.... ...i probably spent more money fixing the dam thing and it still wont be the same as if i bought one out of the box.

all in all i Will bring the parts and try to play around with the miami hull BUT i really like to have a new boat next year During ummer to just have some fun.... Thats all i want...

Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
glennb2006

I think I might have seen the boat you were talking about on ebay at the time. Around two months ago from memory. Shame it was not good.

Well, whatever you do get, I hope you enjoy it.

Glenn
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 AM
lalasboat

yep... that was the one..... you were lucky not to get it.

still trying to sand off that black paint from the hull... too thick and sticky

Be sure that as soon as i set this up i will post a video on youtube
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
slivic003

Hey , check out an aeromarine 56 or 60" apache hull . These hulls when set up properly handle great in really rough water and with a stock 26cc zenoah will run around 45mph +/-with a clutch .I reccomend Bonzi hardware also . Stay away from WHH if your boat is going to run in rough water they don't handle very well . Well built boats though .
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which whh boats are you saying wont handle rough water? from what ive seen and read they have some of the best handling rough water boats you can get ,the super g is suposed to be built like a tank and handles rough stuff with ease?.not to mention the magnum 57 which is suposed to be even better .
[link]http://whobbies.com/[/link]
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
lalasboat

just made an order for some WHH hardware only like the dual rudder system.... fuel bottle... radio box kit.... ultra mod engine.... .... but not any hull yet.. .... now i read stay away from WHH?? oupst... did i made a bad choice??[]
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
ScooterTrash

[:@]YES!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
ScooterTrash

[sm=confused.gif] Hi slivic003, I would call 6 inch waves farely rough water & the Magnum57 "No Problem"[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: lalasboat

yep... that was the one..... you were lucky not to get it.

still trying to sand off that black paint from the hull... too thick and sticky

Be sure that as soon as i set this up i will post a video on youtube

Try some thinners on the paint, might soften it for you.
I have a Miami too, not a bad boat in rough water. Not the best looking maybe, but goes well enough with the stock Zenoah in it. Seems OK in the rough stuff.

I run standard single off set rudder on mine with no trouble. I will try to send you a link to some build instructions for the Miami if it will help you out.

Glenn
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
lalasboat

ohh great... just another bad buy... 780usd gone to trash.... freak....
is it my luck or what???
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM
glennb2006

Not really, I'm sure the parts will be OK and you can use them on the Miami, then any other boat you build in the future.

Glenn.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM
slivic003

Hey no offense to anyone !! WHH makes great boats and they do perform very well . BUT in rough water 1ft or better waves they tend to not do very well . Where I live I run my boats mostly in salt water . The rivers are sometimes rough , really rough . I have a super sport with a modified engine for one of my boats and in rough water it does not perform well at all . It is a great calm water boat and runs very stable in calm water . Anyways it all depends on the type of water conditions anyone is going to run there boat in and also the amount of money they want to spend on a boat . There are a ton of differant hull styles on the market . Finding the best one to suit your needs is the hard part . I am always buying , building and selling gas boats . Some hulls will run faster than others with the same set up in each .
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM
martno1fan

you cant say because you have one boat made by them that doesnt handle rough water they all dont? that makes no sense whatsoever.if they all handled the same they wouldnt need to have different designs would they?.as for 1 ft waves i doubt any model boat will handle well in those conditions in fact i know they wouldnt having seen boats race in such conditions in offshore,i lost count how many times they flipped .I f you want a boat to run in those conditions i suggest a real one .
Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
slivic003

! Geeez don't get bent out of shape ! What I am saying is that in my opinion They don't handle well , and yes I have a couple of friends that have the 57 model . They complain about them too . Understand that I run in rough conditions sometimes . WHH does not make a bad boat they are all good but It all depends on where you are running it . And yes if the boat is set up right it will ride in 1ft waves . pretty much skip from top to top on the waves .And yes it will flip sometimes but thats the fun part trying to run wide open and still keep the boat running steady! And I have several real boats ( offshore fishing boats and I am getting ready to buy a liberator "go fast" boat ) . I have been around boats my whole life ,real and r/c . It is my passion . Sorry for upseting anyone about the subject !!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:41 AM
martno1fan

no worries mate but ive read nothing but good things about them and was a little surprised by your comment.whh make a lot of boats ,im sure a few will handle rough water and a few wont same as any other hull makers .lala did you get a boat picked out yet? best thing id say is pick a cpl you like then ask for advice on deciding which one is the best theres a lot of good info and advice on this site and we dont all agree on everything but we all try to help .it can get confusing though[sm=bananahead.gif] good luck mate.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
lalasboat

martno1fan not yet m8. As i see things is most about personal experience that drive people to say this boat is good or this boat is bad. This hardware will do ... this hardware will fail... or this can work for you BUT don't use it in rough conditions.

Now if i was a boat builder and wanted to promote my boat i would give one to a group and say.... well boys here is the new boat we have ..... beat the crap out of it and tell us what you think.....? just the same as they do with cars.... they take one they review it and say some good and some bad points.... then its upto the individual what kind of car ( or in our case boat ) he will get.

i will have to digg some more in order to reach a final decision.... anyhow i have something to play around during winter time ( the miami boat from prestwich along with WWH hardware ) But untill summer comes i will for sure have my own brand new Boat that i will really like and play for some time.....

cheers thank you all for your help and for sharing your thoughts with me..

chris
Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 PM
martno1fan

hi mate sent you a pm,your right its all about personal choice as for the miami hull from dave have you allready ordered one or? Dave is a great bloke and very helpfull i can vouch for that first hand.Anything you need to know he knows and has allways given me good advice and service.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 AM
lalasboat

well... i have concluded in 2 boats

sonic racing titan or expresscraft GTX

Shipping cost to my country will be a major factor to finalising my decision .... lets see....

Meanwhile i will have to wait from WWH the hardware so i can hook them up on the Miami55.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 AM
martno1fan

wow shipping on the sonic boat will be BIG ££££$$$$$$ [X(],STATES would be cheaper to buy from as regards shipping or anywhere in europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.