Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Cable drive question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Cable drive question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Earth Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable drive question

Hello.
I see that most people seem to be running a round cable collet, and using a round cable end. I suspect they have to be pretty clean and tight so they don't slip. I also have seen square drive cable ends and collets, but I don't see a lot of people using them, even in high performance hydro racing. Why is that (if that is accurate)? Any body have any bad exp with square drive collets and cables, or other reasons why you have not used them?

Thank you

Doug
ESP
Old 10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Tell 1uk

Default RE: Cable drive question

I run a square drive on my cat no probs other than making sure you cut your length right and remember a square end is free to come away from the collet so you mainly use the system with a ferrule set up to avoid the cable comming out of the tube.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

All of my mono's have ran square drive. You don't stand the chance of losing a complete cable assembly. On my Cat's I've ran round and always lived in fear of that booger falling out even with a shaft saver and extra fuel line on the collet end. My new Sprint Cat is getting a square drive and this will be my first experience in setting one up on a cat. I look forward to the challenge.

Jamie
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Earth Surfer

Thanks for the info. If I remember right, you buy the square end cable, and cut it to the length you need? I guess I am going to have to buy a small cut off wheel saw. Then, I imagine, you have to braze/solder the open end of the cable you just cut? I guess I have to buy a acetylene tourch too.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no need now whh just came out with a double ended square cable