Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Slinging grease

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Slinging grease

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
fowlmood77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slinging grease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My cable is slinging grease all over my transom, is this normal? I am using a bearing grease on my shaft and my stuffing tube is even with the back of the transom. This is more of an annoyance than anything, but would be nice to come home and not have this mess. By the way the best way I have found to clean the grease off is with WD-40 and a rag.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
juicr

Default RE: Slinging grease

That is normal. Start worrying when it quits slinging it!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
bentley marshall

if you leave a bit of tube out the back of the boat then put a bit of ruber hose on it 1/2 on tube and 1/2 on cable helps stop that and keeps the water out
Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It is normal but there are greases that won't do that. Grimracer cable grease and Speed Lube won't and I would assume some others also. You might want to go a little lighter when lubing the cable and wipe off any excess around the drive dog. Too much grease can be as bad as too little.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

It is normal but there are greases that won't do that. Grimracer cable grease and Speed Lube won't and I would assume some others also. You might want to go a little lighter when lubing the cable and wipe off any excess around the drive dog. Too much grease can be as bad as too little.
whoa never heard of too much grease being a problem. Must be some thick stuff if you have too much [X(]
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 AM
glennb2006

Bearings, and more accurately load bearing surfaces need to "float" on the layer of lubricant, be that oil or grease. Overpacking stops the supported shaft from being able to move up and onto the wedge of lubricant that it runs on, hence causing additional drag and heat, so yes, it is possible to over lubricate.

Ron is correct.

Plus, of course, the extra stuff you spray all over the place ends up on your boat and possibly in the very water you are running on. Not good. And wasteful too.

Glenn
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM
slivic003

I use a high temp type grease . It holds together really well and pretty much stays put in the stuffing tub on the flex shaft where it needs to be . I only put a thin coat on the flex shaft when I install it in the stuffing tube . At the end of the day there is still grease on the shaft like it needs to be . I don't get any slinging or leaking out of thestuffing tub . And yes to much grease can be a bad thing . I also get longer life out of my flex shafts since I have started using a high temp grease .
Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
fowlmood77

Well sounds like I may be using too much. Will try a little less and see.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM
DowntownNC

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Bearings, and more accurately load bearing surfaces need to "float" on the layer of lubricant, be that oil or grease. Overpacking stops the supported shaft from being able to move up and onto the wedge of lubricant that it runs on, hence causing additional drag and heat, so yes, it is possible to over lubricate.

Ron is correct.

Plus, of course, the extra stuff you spray all over the place ends up on your boat and possibly in the very water you are running on. Not good. And wasteful too.

Glenn
If there's too much grease in it, I guarantee the shaft will spit it out within the first lap around the course...if it was an enclosed isolated area where grease could not escape, I would easily agree with what's being said. But it's not...grease can easily escape in a very short amount of time, if it's too much.

I've never heard of anyone complain that they had too much grease on their flex shafts
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: DowntownNC

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Ron is correct.

Glenn
If there's too much grease in it, I guarantee the shaft will spit it out within the first lap around the course...if it was an enclosed isolated area where grease could not escape, I would easily agree with what's being said. But it's not...grease can easily escape in a very short amount of time, if it's too much.

I've never heard of anyone complain that they had too much grease on their flex shafts

LOL! Not to mention, you can only use as much grease as the stuffing tube will allow to push through while on the shaft. But what do i know... ive never broke a flexshaft from lack of grease