Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Serious Torque Steer

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious Torque Steer

Ok, i am coming to you guys for some suggestions. I have a rancho pro and for some reason when i accelerate hard it pulls to one side, very badly. I feel no binding, tires are tracking well. So i figure we can have some fun trying to diagnose and fix the problem. Make some suggestions, i will do what you say and tell you the results. Now when i brake its fine and when i take off easily its fine. Just when i accelerate fairly hard or hard.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 PM
ugly duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serious Torque Steer

Does it always pull to the same side, Ed? If so, you've got a couple things to check:

First, is the camber set the same on both sides of the truck? More negative camber (tops tilted in) on one wheel will pull towards that wheel.

Next, you're sure you've got the steering links on right? When I got my truck the PO had put the right link on top of the steering hub and the left one on the bottom, and the right wheel had some SERIOUS bump steer. He also had a "left" steering hub on both sides of the truck, compounding the problem.

Have you got the steering links the same length? The truck will pull to the side with the shorter link during acceleration (suspension rise).

You can also check to make sure that the cross-weight is even. If you've got the left front and right rear wheels pushing down further than the right front and left rear, the truck can still sit level but the left front will have more grip, and will probably turn away from that side. If you've got a shock stud on the wrong hole, you could get this happening.

Is it possible that you've got more flex in one suspension arm than the other? I experimented with custom aluminium rear arms for my Volcano and I didn't have a 3mm drill so I used 1/8" (3.175mm) and there's a bunch of slop that toes the wheels in on acceleration. It turns one direction on acceleration but tracks straight at speed.

Finally, I had bad problems with the original tires balooning - they'd all baloon at different speeds, so at first it would go left, then right, then straight.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Macanan

Or how about the servo saver ? to much torque at once causing the saver not catching like it needs to be ?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

Ok, i am coming to you guys for some suggestions. I have a rancho pro and for some reason when i accelerate hard it pulls to one side, very badly. I feel no binding, tires are tracking well. So i figure we can have some fun trying to diagnose and fix the problem. Make some suggestions, i will do what you say and tell you the results. Now when i brake its fine and when i take off easily its fine. Just when i accelerate fairly hard or hard.

You might try experimenting with a heavier weight oil in the rear diff, that should mitigate much of the one-side torque.

But of course, do what ugyduck has already suggested as well, if those fixes correct the problem, the simple fix is always worth a million more than having to dismount one of the RC's major component.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
ranger4x4

if your gettin torque steer, which is very common for front wheel or all wheel drive 1/1 cars and trucks it will always pull to the side that gets the most power. i was thinking of trying to loosen up the slipper clutch a bit and maybe try putting heavier grease in the front diff. that is if its not a suspension problem like ugly duck was suggesting. what i found helped to eliminate that issue with my mxt was to squat the front end and tighten up the front shocks and slide the sway bar links further in in the sway bar, but my mxt didnt have a big block for power and im sure its a world of difference to contend with. perhaps even some weight in the front might need to be added to help keep the front tires getting max traction to slow torque steer.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
hrdcoreglf

Does it pull to the side the engine is mounted on?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

Does it pull to the side the engine is mounted on?

that i have to check, lol

As far as everyone elses's suggestions, i am going to run on sat/sun this week and i will let you know if any of the suggestions work, i am going to start from the top of the page and work my way down.

Just so you know, this didnt happen at first, just started out of no where, i dont know why, i didnt change anything.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 AM
ugly duck

Did it start after a jump or a collision? Many of my suggestions are based on adjustments, not damage. Damage could include internal damage to a differential or a sheared pin on a front dogbone, and if you've got fairly heavy diff lube it would pull to the side of the broken part. A fractured lower link might rotate under acceleration and would change the steer angle of that wheel.

So many possibilities!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
ehroof

I know, there are infinite possibilities. Instead of just figuring it out myself i thought it would be cool to involve the whole himoto forum in it. I am going to start with your suggetions first then work my way down the thread. I didnt do anything unusual with it and didnt notice anything until the last time i took it out.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
hrdcoreglf

I know that when I had my Schumacher nitro fusion. I put a .28 in it, and when I would hit the throttle hard it would pull to one side for the first 10 - 15 feet then true up. It only did it after I put the larger engine in. I am just wondering does it happen from start all the way through acceleration or just in the first part of acceleration?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
ehroof

it does it from a dead start all the way thru pretty much, to the point i have to stop giving it throttle.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM
bluecaka69

Did you go through water and get some inside rim if so that can cause tires to go out of balance and make one side pull My guess is tires out of balance
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: bluecaka69

Did you go through water and get some inside rim if so that can cause tires to go out of balance and make one side pull My guess is tires out of balance

Hey Cory,

Tires are perfect, not out of round and no wheel hop.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
bluecaka69

im lost bro
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Redharris

Eddie...
Is This the Truck that got Flattened by the City Bus?
Mebbe you need to arrange another Accident, and get the OTHER half run over.
Then maybe it will pull Equally to Both sides and cancel out the Torque Steer?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 PM
ugly duck

Whoo, there's a story waiting to be told...
Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Eddie...
Is This the Truck that got Flattened by the City Bus?
Mebbe you need to arrange another Accident, and get the OTHER half run over.
Then maybe it will pull Equally to Both sides and cancel out the Torque Steer?

lol, no rich, different truck.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
hrdcoreglf

Does it drift to that side when you are off throttle? It sounds like bearings or diff problems, if it is not your set up.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM
ehroof

wheels turn freely, no binding or anything, only on acceleration
Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
ranger4x4

by chance do you have aa a-arm goin weak? maybe gettin more twist than the other side? that would cause the pull on hard acceleration.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Redharris

How about the Damping fluid in the Shocks.
Could it have Partially leaked out of one or two shocks?

I Ran out of the Correct weight Fluid for my MXT Shocks, Had to rebuild the Front Left shock, and had to use a Lighter oil in That One Shock.
The Result was Tourque Steer, (not as Bad as Yours seems to be though).

Just a Thought....Maybe its a RADIO problem.....Have you tried swapping out the Transmitter/Receiver?
Some weird Interferance/Noise due to cable routing?