Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Clutch Bell Temp Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 PM
SmoothInc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bell Temp Please HELP!!!

I am having massive issues with the spur gears melting and i do believe it is because of the clutch bell getting to hot. How hot should the clutch bell get or what have you guys seen yours running at?

What would be a way to solve the issue of the clutch bell getting hot i have already put aluminum clutch shoes in. What else could be done to help with this issue?

Could the cause of the clutch bell getting to hot be the cause of the engine being to lean????

Any help is great thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Default RE: Clutch Bell Temp Please HELP!!!

the clutch bell wil get hot, very hot, it should not be RED HOT, but the melting spur im pretty sure has more to do with mesh than cb heat. if you think its a problem go to a 2 shoe clutch with a vented clutch bell. i bet you ll probably still "melt" the spur.
Timmahh
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM
SmoothInc

so if it is melting the spur does that mean that the mesh it to loose or tight?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

All I can do is tell you what happed to me. After building my 4.6SS on about the 3rd tank of break in fuel my clutch slipped so bad and was getting hotter then my engine and when I stop where the CB was touching the spur it melted it. This was the only spur I have a problem with in 3 gallons. I put alloy clutch shoes in and have not had a problem since. Not sure this is your problem? Is this on a new truck or has this problem just started?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Savage545

You might want to try cleaning your clutch out. If there is any residue on your clutch it could cause the clutch to slip creating friction/heat. Also if your aluminum shoes are new give them some time to break in.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
46u

I am sorry I did not read the post well and I see you all ready have the aluminum shoes so I agree try cleaning them and clean any burrs off the shoes. How long have you had the aluminum shoes it your truck?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 PM
SmoothInc

The shoes are brand new installed them yesterday so they may need to wear in like you guys have said. When i put the clutch back together i did clean off any residue that was on the shoes and the inside if the clutch bell.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
46u

Does the inside of the CB look OK? My Nova aluminum shoes did not take real long to seat in. How much fuel have you run since putting them in?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 PM
SmoothInc

not much fuel because i have had spur problems i think the back plate that is behind the spur started to melt and i have no clue how. But i have not taken it apart yet to check it out so im not to sure whats all wrong yet.

I do believe it looks ok but not 100% sure
Old 06-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Jeht Black1

might need to tighten up the slipper
Old 06-04-2006, 06:13 AM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my slipper as tight as possible all the time, I mesh my gears by sound and have only shredded 5 spurs in the 2 year life of my savvy. Now for the CB temp I would try and keep it under 170 degrees. You should pick up a IR thermometer if you dont already have one. Hoped this helped...somewhat