Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

x or LE

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:10 PM
C Jar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x or LE

my lhs has 1 savage LE in stock, should i get the LE or the X? im worried about the x's supposed problems, and i like the features of the LE. this will be my first rc, and i don't plan on racing.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: x or LE

See if your LHS will take 1 of each out of the box and put them side by side. Get your hands on each one and see which one you like the best. I have the LE and it is load of fun. A total beast. But there are features on the new X that look really good, like the easy access diffs, tranny and radio box. I think they are both great trucks and you will have fun with which ever one you choose. Which ever one you get, while you are there have the LHS fix you up with a hump pack and charge jack so you don't have to be opening the radio box all the time.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
poe

i havent had any problems with my X and its on the 9th tank. I do like the LE, it has some nice features. But it is not as easy to work on, heavier, and has a higher center of gravity. It has the good brakes (which you might have to upgrade on the X) which are only $12 on ebay. it also has th 3 speed, but from what i have heard it doesnt make a huge difference.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: poe

i havent had any problems with my X and its on the 9th tank. I do like the LE, it has some nice features. But it is not as easy to work on, heavier, and has a higher center of gravity. It has the good brakes (which you might have to upgrade on the X) which are only $12 on ebay. it also has th 3 speed, but from what i have heard it doesnt make a huge difference.
and thats the problem i have, every time i read a post about all the problems the x has, i read that somebody has zero problems with it. then, when i think i want it again, i read another that says it has too many problems. i'm about ready just to forget about the x, its to confusing[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-03-2006, 01:08 PM
poe

IMO those people are noobish low lives that sit on these forums and moap all day. The only reason they complain is because they dont actuall try to keep their truck in working order. You can handle the X. It doesnt have any problems if you do some things before you run it. If you are goin by what PatrikBW said, disregard that.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I said was based on what other people have said + my own personal observations. People here seem to want to imply (or outright state)that I don't know what I'm talking about - but all I've done is consolidate what is being said by many people from many different places. I don't regret anything I've said, and am fully confident that I will be proven at least somewhat correct in the coming weeks and months. Keep an eye out for posts about more problems - and not just more problems from newbs who supposedly don't know what they're doing - but from MORE problems than there ever were with previous Savages.

My LHS has stopped selling the X because of so many customer complaints. That has nothing to do with my personality

You never even saw these kind of discussions about the LE. I'll still give my own €.02 - the LE is the best out of the box RTR 1/8 MT basher ever.

And how easy a truck is to repair shouldn't be a primary criterion for what to get.

Just because something is new does not mean it is better.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:48 PM
BigBoyLST

i have almost 1 1/2 gallons through my x and nothing is even hinting to be wrong with it. i love the x the thing is a wheelie machine. it has ALOT of torque. from what i hear it is a big difference over the old .25 i've jump my x of a 15ft ledge and landed it on it's wheels and the thing came out in a wheelie... it was sick get the x it is woth it
Old 06-03-2006, 01:50 PM
HerrSavage

The more such posts the better..
Old 06-03-2006, 04:01 PM
burnchassis3

I have an LE, Ive broken almost everything ,that can be broken.
Personal record jumping a 47 foot gap clearance
I'll take that wheelie crown from ya too.
lol
LE and an X upgrade kit maybe?
The kit comes with most of the plastic from the X for about 100.00 + you'll have a 3 speed ,and dual brakes.
But
You'll want to dump the LEs .25 for sure.
The X if your not going to upgrade the engine,but if you are, go with the LE.
Not sure the prices of the x new now ...i've seen LEs goin for under 400 on ebay RTR.
Either 1 you'll be happy im sure.
X's pros
engine guard/roll bar set
easy access diffs
easy access trans
easy access radio box
engine
Cons
Black TVPs
Some tolerance issues
Looks
weak radio

LE Pros
3 speed
looks better
dual disc brakes
better radio
TVP's
Cons
.25 engine

Flip a coin lol[8D]

CS
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 PM
TireDr

I have to say the LE. It is very tough and can take anything you throw at it. If you can still get it, I say go for it!

TireDr
Old 06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Chronic

I would get an LE. The X looks good and it's nice to have the latest thing, but any of it's parts can be swapped onto the older ones. I've got the X rollbar on my LE, and I've got the X style transmission case on it's way. The LE just comes with some good upgrades that you should not overlook so easy. Price the tuned pipe, three speed, and dual brakes sperately and then compare the two packages. It's cheaper to update the LE to the good X specific parts than it is to equip the X with all of the hopups that the LE comes with.

If you are going to need an LCG chassis, the X style really isn't enough of a drop to be excited about so it shouldn't really be considered a big selling point. The new easy access radio box is cool and all, but the HPI clear lexan cover with the older style box weighs less, looks better, is just as easy to live with, and it is cheaper too.

The LE weighs about .5lbs less than the Savage 25... or about the same as the X.

You'll have fun running and upgrading either one though. Don't sweat about it too hard and just go with the one that you like the best.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
pulse213

ORIGINAL: C Jar

and thats the problem i have, every time i read a post about all the problems the x has, i read that somebody has zero problems with it. then, when i think i want it again, i read another that says it has too many problems. i'm about ready just to forget about the x, its to confusing[sm=confused.gif]
Pay attention to those that are actually bashing their X's,not those getting their information second hand. There are a few here who can't accept change,and are on a crusade to rid the world of evil X's.

I have gallons thru mine now,and it's had less problems than our 25 during the same period of time. I've been off plenty of 10'-15' jumps that have crippled other brands (not going there),and it keeps right on going. Haven't broken anything besides a pinion gear,but that was my fault not HPI's. Luckily with the easy access diffs,I was able to change it out in minutes. Still haven't had my chassis apart since the day I bought it,when I installed the 3 speed.

I've since upgraded to a .28 and the thing is crazy fun to drive now. It's lighter,faster,handles better,so far has been more than tuff enough,and much easier to work on than our older model 25. We're getting ready to retire the 25 and replacing it with another X.

Are there people having problems with the X models? Sure,show me one RC that doesn't have. Is it better than the LE? I won't say that because it's in the eye of the beholder. Our 25 has been a good truck,with more upgrades than an SS. Better not wait too long to get the LE though. It's liable to be discontinued,like some of the other versions. Their being replaced with the X's.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:40 PM
flugelbinder

I have an x and put 3 gallon through it and its still going strong with no problems. First truck ive had and its great.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:40 PM
NITRO PUNK

How can anyone say that the LE is 5lb lighter then the .25 It;s not even one.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:44 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: NITRO PUNK

How can anyone say that the LE is 5lb lighter then the .25 It;s not even one.
1/2 pound, .5, you have it off by one decimal place
Old 06-03-2006, 04:47 PM
TireDr

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I would get an LE. The X looks good and it's nice to have the latest thing, but any of it's parts can be swapped onto the older ones. I've got the X rollbar on my LE, and I've got the X style transmission case on it's way. The LE just comes with some good upgrades that you should not overlook so easy. Price the tuned pipe, three speed, and dual brakes sperately and then compare the two packages. It's cheaper to update the LE to the good X specific parts than it is to equip the X with all of the hopups that the LE comes with.

If you are going to need an LCG chassis, the X style really isn't enough of a drop to be excited about so it shouldn't really be considered a big selling point. The new easy access radio box is cool and all, but the HPI clear lexan cover with the older style box weighs less, looks better, is just as easy to live with, and it is cheaper too.

The LE weighs about .5lbs less than the Savage 25... or about the same as the X.

You'll have fun running and upgrading either one though. Don't sweat about it too hard and just go with the one that you like the best.

If you are talking about this statement...Chronic says it is .5 pounds lighter...not 5lbs lighter!!

TireDr
Old 06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
veedub

ide say go with either and take a chance ,i bought the x kuz im sick of having old stuff on its death bead. IMO either way i think youll be happy. every time i drive any nitro it puts a smile on my face
Old 06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
chubbysuncle

I love my X. Have had no trouble that I didn't create myself. I never had any other 1/8 trucks before and it's my 2 nd Nitro. It takes a beating. IMO buy an X and have fun. Why buy upgrades for an LE and spend twice as much in the long run. Use that $$ for more Nitro!!
The only thing I would suggest is the Dual disc brake upgrade for the X. The stock brakes do suck. That's the only low point I have found. Run about a gallon thru and it just gets better. 6 pulls to prime 1 to start. Jumps like cheerleader on crack! Wheelies on command! Oh Man I gotta GO!!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 09:37 PM
C Jar

ORIGINAL: chubbysuncle

I love my X. Have had no trouble that I didn't create myself. I never had any other 1/8 trucks before and it's my 2 nd Nitro. It takes a beating. IMO buy an X and have fun. Why buy upgrades for an LE and spend twice as much in the long run. Use that $$ for more Nitro!!
The only thing I would suggest is the Dual disc brake upgrade for the X. The stock brakes do suck. That's the only low point I have found. Run about a gallon thru and it just gets better. 6 pulls to prime 1 to start. Jumps like cheerleader on crack! Wheelies on command! Oh Man I gotta GO!!!!
well, what money would i spend upgrading the LE, i think its doing pretty well as far as upgrades go....
Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM
chubbysuncle

Did you even start the Savage X you have yet Patrick? Just wondering...What is going to happen to my X in the next comming weeks or months? I'd just like to know what problem or problems would prompt your LHS to stop selling them. People complaining about what? Is my trans gonna blow? My Engine? I myself am surprised I haven't broken anything yet. If my front diff blew apart tomarrow I wouldn't be surprised. If I broke an A Arm I wouldn't be surprised. I beat the snot outta this thing. I try to make ramps that throw this truck higher every day AND my driving still kinda sucks. You know what I broke so far? Two ramps!! Drove the truck thru them! Oh and I stripped a spur gear because I didn't have the mesh set correctly.My Fault. BTW I wouldn't complain to my LHS if I had problems with the truck itself I would go to HPI. Please stop bashing the X. We all know how you stand on the matter by now. I respect your opinion but until you experience the problems you keep saying are wrong with the truck after actually running it please refrain from bashing it. I think we're all getting tired of the talk. If you have specific problems that actually occur let us know. I really am tired of reading " this looks wimpy" or that looks like it'll break, or what if's. Thank You for reading my opinion. If you run the truck I believe you might actually like it.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 PM
chubbysuncle

I'm just kinda replying to the whole thread. Someone made a comment about swapping the engine and getting all the X parts as they're backward compatable and so on.... After reading a ton of posts on this forum it appears that ANY Savage is a Great Truck. It seems that they all can take a beating and come back for more. Well execpt for 1 I guess..
Old 06-03-2006, 10:26 PM
pulse213

After reading a ton of posts on this forum it appears that ANY Savage is a Great Truck. It seems that they all can take a beating and come back for more.
Well said,chubby

It's funny how we compare one savvy version to another,when most are being upgraded beyond their version as soon as we open the box. Like our 25 having more upgrades than the SS,and my X will likely have more than the SS version by the time it hits the streets.

They're all good,some just have more upgrades than others. They all still bash,and they all will break......eventually.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 AM
HerrSavage

Nope, haven't run it yet. Nobody bought it on my third attempt to sell it on e-bay, for a €250 loss. So now it's just sitting in my room. I think I've reached the threshhold though where I don't want to sell it for less. So I just don't know. At this point I really want a Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28, but I can't really justify buying one when I've got an €800 Savage X just sitting there. I even offered to sell it to a friend for basically half-price so I'd have somebody to go driving with, but he said no.. Maybe I should strip it down and sell it in chunks. I'm just totally clueless about what to do with it at this point..

I do promise though to try to bite my tongue when it comes to the X from now on....
Old 06-04-2006, 03:29 AM
finalimpact

either way you go youll have a fun dependable truck. i myself have an x and love it. ive tore a few spur gears(bad mesh and no loctite, totally my fault), blew the rear diff(my fault again), stripped a wheel(due to rear spool). but ive also got 2 gallons of rough bashing through it. i have yet to break any plastic or anything that would put my truck up for a while. it could use a thicker body as mine is pretty beat now but i still love it. this is my second hpi product and ive been happy with both. [sm=thumbup.gif] for the x
Old 06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
azzman

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Nope, haven't run it yet. Nobody bought it on my third attempt to sell it on e-bay, for a €250 loss. So now it's just sitting in my room. I think I've reached the threshhold though where I don't want to sell it for less. So I just don't know. At this point I really want a Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28, but I can't really justify buying one when I've got an €800 Savage X just sitting there. I even offered to sell it to a friend for basically half-price so I'd have somebody to go driving with, but he said no.. Maybe I should strip it down and sell it in chunks. I'm just totally clueless about what to do with it at this point..

I do promise though to try to bite my tongue when it comes to the X from now on....
Wholly SH*T Patrick, one minute ago you desperately wanted a REVO 3.3! Now you want a Thunder Tiger! I dont think you will ever be satisfied whichever way you go. Just get out there and have fun with the X! END OF STORY!!! This is like a daytime friggin soap opera....and your the star!!!!!!!![:@]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.