Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Another charger question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:06 PM
bloodpuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another charger question!

Ok i have a good charger but still no power adapter for it. While i wait for it to arrive in the mail could i use a 1.5 amp cord to charge batteries at 1 amp? The batteries i have have a warning to charge at only 1 amp anyway so should i be able to do this with out frying my cord?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Another charger question!

ORIGINAL: bloodpuppy

Ok i have a good charger but still no power adapter for it. While i wait for it to arrive in the mail could i use a 1.5 amp cord to charge batteries at 1 amp? The batteries i have have a warning to charge at only 1 amp anyway so should i be able to do this with out frying my cord?
Most likely you will need a 12V power source.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
bloodpuppy

it is 12 volt. just 1.5 amp not 5amp which i really need.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a 12 volt DC "regulated" power supply it should be ok , but many of those wall units aren't regulated very well. Maybe you can plug it in and get a voltage reading without a load on it just to be sure it isn't real high. If you do try it out, try to leave the voltmeter on it when you start the charger to be sure the voltage doesn't drop too low.

I think I remember your charger and 11-14 volts is a good range.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The charger alone is gonna need to draw more than 1.5 amps. You need something with an output of at least 6 or 7 to be safe. If you were charging lipo, you would probably be safe if you were charging one or two cells... but the draw required for nimh is too great.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
bloodpuppy

Ok untill i can actually get ahold of what i need would it be possiable to run the battery charger off a car charger? I have one kicking around that does 10 amps 12 volts.

Im trying to track down a old PS for a comp, untill i do i would like to use this if i could.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Yes, a car charger should be fine. Most chargers (smart ones, anyway) can handle anything between 10V and 18V, so a regulated PSU isn't all that vital. The main thing is finding something that can handle the amps, and a car battery charger should have no problem as long as it isn't one of those dinky wall-wart trickle chargers. It should say somewhere on it what the output current is.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
bloodpuppy

I actually found a old, i mean old. Comp suppy while i was getting charger, so in a day ill be good to go.