Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New info available on our web site

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New info available on our web site

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:40 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New info available on our web site

I have posted some new information on the web site, including the preliminary Edge 540T assembly manual which has lots of photos.

Also the revised delivery schedule is up. We moved the second batch to Jan 15 (approximately). If you were told that there would be no more planes until March, that has now changed and we will have a whole bunch in January. I apologize for the momentary disappointment we caused.

http://www.wildharerc.com

Hit shift-reload to be sure you get the new pages and not an old one from cache.

Tom Fawcett
Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New info available on our web site

Tom,

The preliminary Edge 540T manual is a good start!! A couple of things:

The page headers are wrong; they say "35% Extra 330LX....."

There is no mention of sealing or fuel-proofing the firewall/engine box. This is my first gas airplane, so I'm not sure this is even necessary or advisable. If it is, as an "entry level" airplane, it would be good to mention it in the manual, and not assume everybody knows this!!

Otherwise, great job!!

John
Old 11-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

ezflyr, I think some people fiberglass the back of the motor box to add strength but like you assumed, I don't see a reason to fuel proof the box unless you want to protect against a leak.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:59 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: ezflyr

Tom,

The preliminary Edge 540T manual is a good start!! A couple of things:

The page headers are wrong; they say "35% Extra 330LX....."

There is no mention of sealing or fuel-proofing the firewall/engine box. This is my first gas airplane, so I'm not sure this is even necessary or advisable. If it is, as an "entry level" airplane, it would be good to mention it in the manual, and not assume everybody knows this!!

Otherwise, great job!!

John
The page headers and a couple other things are fixed, new rev. is now on the web site.

With gasoline engines there really isn't any need to seal or fuel proof the engine area. They don't drool oil all over everything, there's really no need for any finish on the wood unless you are just trying to add weight to the front end.

If you want it to look nice spray on a coat of Minwax urethane clear or maybe Varathane pulyurethane clear coat.

TF
Old 11-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Fixed Wing

I agree with Tom that there is really no need to fuel proof the firewall area for a gasser. However, I did spray paint this area of my WH 35% Extra just for looks. I used Rustoleum enamel paint that was almost an exact match of the red Ultracote that was used on the model. It really doesn't add much weight at all (grams?) and on a 29 pound plane it won't know the difference. I took the attached picture after around 50 flights with a DA100 and what little residue there was inside the cowl just wiped right off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52670.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	73787  
Old 11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
jldecarlo

The manual says the following:

Don't use ball-links, they will cause a twisting force on the servo arms that will fatigue and fail.

I have routinely used ball links at the servo end of 3D planes, as other connectors bind at extremes of servo travel. I have never had any problems, but this Edge will be my largest plane. I was planning to use metal servo arms (probably AirWild). Any comments?

Leonard
Tyler, TX USA
Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: jldecarlo

The manual says the following:

Don't use ball-links, they will cause a twisting force on the servo arms that will fatigue and fail.

I have routinely used ball links at the servo end of 3D planes, as other connectors bind at extremes of servo travel. I have never had any problems, but this Edge will be my largest plane. I was planning to use metal servo arms (probably AirWild). Any comments?

Leonard
Tyler, TX USA
Yes, I stand by my manual. A ball link twists the servo arm one way when pulling and the other way when pushing. Metal arms may not fatigue, but I'm not going to be the one to say they will always work.

Tom Fawcett