Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

Evolution 58 ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Tbessi
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 58 ignition problem

I have roughly 2.5 gallons through my evolution 58GX. First flight tonight everything was excellent. I've noticed it starts a little hard5-8 flips. On the 2nd flight or attempt of the night it popped once and then wouldn't start. I just switched to synthetic 40:1 mix from Bel-ray, Xoar 24x10 prop, about .5 gallon synthetic through it. I have a 8.4volt sanyo nicad 1100 mah pack on the ignition. We tried to charge it and only put in 400mah and start it again, no luck. We could hear the choke servo working, but not even a pop. I have an optical kill on it. We noticed everytime after the first pop we did get, we heard an electric buzz when we cycled the switch to the on position. It took about 3 seconds after you turned on the switch and you would hear this buzz for a brief second. It sounded like it was coming from the spark plug. We pulled off the plug several times and didn't have any luck getting it to stop. I never noticed this sound before tonight. When you flipped the switch off you could hear a real small click. This could be the optical kill, but it to seemed to come from the plug. The ignition plug wire is very difficult to remove. There is a rubber piece inside that goes over the spark plug. My ignition is mounted with the supplied rubber grommets to the fire wall. There is nothing touching the ignition. Plane hasn't been crashed, never even broke a prop. Prior to this I was very impressed and love the power of the engine. We tried several throttle positions to make sure it was getting enough full. Any ideas on whats going wrong?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 58 ignition problem

Have you looked here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7654995/tm.htm

Mike
Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ignition problem or power supply problem?
Read the ignition voltage requirement in the manual.
If it is a -P ignition, your voltage is way too low. The ignition tests for sufficient voltage when it switches on, and decides for you it is not enough, and will not allow to start the engine.
A P ignition needs 9.5V
Evolution ignitions are made especially for them, so read the manual first.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Tbessi

The ignition reads S on the back 6-8.4 volts. I am assuming then that a 8.4 volt nicad pack should be adequate? What do you think about running a 2 cell A123 pack on this ignition? Should it work okay? It would be more convient for me. I know it wouldn't solve this problem.

BaldEagle: Thanks I'll check this out, I'm betting if your right it will start right up. I checked it today and of course 24 hours later it was dry. However, I turned the plane on and it still made a very loud buzz 2 seconds our so after I put power to the ignition. Keep in mind the magnets are not lined up. I eliminated the switch as an issue. I plugged the battery directly into the battery with the same results. I'll get someone to help me start it possibly tommorrow, but I'm betting it doesn't work.

The buzz definately eminates from the spark plug. Any other ideas to look for? Would a bad spark plug cause it to make this noise? Is there supposed to be a spring in the plug cap? I see a rubber piece that holds it tight and a small metal ring which I assume is supposed to make contact with the plug.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you hear the testing buzz, that would mean that the spark occurs OUTSIDE the engine, like in the plug cap.
Take it off, and inspect well, then clean with WD40 to get rid of all moisture. After cleaning, dry well.
It may be possible that the cap was not pushed on far enough. It has happened.

2S A123 cells should work very well. If I am informed well, the low voltage before it falls off the cliff is 3.2V per cell.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Tbessi

Thanks for the info on the A123 I'm going to try them.

Checked out the ignition no luck. Called horizon they said send it in. I am just guessing hear but I don't think its making good contact with the conductor in the plug cap. The prior times I didn't have any problems the plug wire was really difficult to remove it almost felt like the wire was wrapped around the spark plug. It no longer feels that way. looking at the plug I don't see a easy fix. In my basement the noise from the discharge is load enough to hear upstairs. I am definately thinking its an ignition problem and will send it in.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I was hoping something would work so I could fly.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The buzz when you switch on is not a problem, its supposed to spark for approx 1 second after switch on to clean the plug, but if you can hear it that loudly then its is shorting out somewhere outside the plug cap, I suggest you take the cap off and the plug out, fit them back together and lay the plug on the cylinder head, turn on the ignition and watch the plug to see if it sparks in the right place, if it does then turn the engine over and again check that it is sparking in the right place, I had an ignition go recently that would one second spark but not fire when the engine was turned over, I had strained the hall sensor wires and pulled them sufficiently hard that they where no longer making contact inside the ignition box, my fault entirely, new ignition abtained from Pe and all is well again.

Check that you can see the connector inside the plug cap, you may have squashed it flat when putting the cap back on at some time.

Mike