Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 AM
genolium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice!!!

I'm not sure if i have posted this in the right area but here we go.

I am in the market to purchase a new off road nitro truck, I've only ever had cars when i was younger but would really like the freedom of a new truck. I have been doing abit of research but do not have the necessary knowledge to compare different trucks and specifications. One thing i have noticed is the difference between transmissions on trucks, whether they be two speed or not. Could someone fill me in on what this means. Also what specifications should i be looking for when buying a new truck e.g engine size, transmission, suspsension, chassis etc. I'm looking for either a 1:10 or 1:8 size truck, Any ideas and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Druss

Default RE: Advice!!!

The first thing is your budget, also not sure what is available in australia, what brands does your local hobby shop carry?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 AM
genolium

Budget would be between 200-300 US or there abouts. I didn't really take any notice of the brands when i looked around. I have also been looking on ebay both in the US and Aus is this a good idea?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Ebay can be both a good and bad place to look for stuff. Make sure and learn retail prices BEFORE looking on ebay. A lot of sellers on ebay charge MORE than the retail price, because they know they can take advantage of people who haven't done their research. However, their are also good sellers with good deal out there too. With a budget like yours you're pretty much limited to 1/10th scale. I would look at the RC10GT2, Losi xxx-nt, or Traxxas Rustler. The rustler is more of a basher and not so great at racing, where as the Associated GT2 and Losi are more for racing, but also make good bashers.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM
nubzorz

2 speed is just what it says 2 speed that means it has 2 gears that would be used for more of a racing style if u like going offroad and stuff like that id go with a 1 speed but it really doesnt matter. i would recommend a traxxas t-maxx if your looking for a nitro truck or if you want an electric go with the e-maxx but im not sure what u want it for racing,offroad,bashing ect... there not much you have to look at and worry about if ur just getting into the hobby except for the brand name if its a good brand then you know ur getting a quality product go check out some trucks by these brands, losi,traxxas,hpi,duratrax,associated also tower hobbies is having a sale on a duratrax rt-x 27 its a 1/8th truck that retails for 400$ but there having a sale for 299$ and if you spend 299$ it will give u 20 dollars off so it would be about 279$ thats right in your range and you will have alot of fun with that truck you can set it up for racing or offroading http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXTXF6**&P=7 i like it never had any problems with it.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Chris_RC

I was also look at the Firestorm. they are more durable than the rustler and have a better design. 2 speed is illegal in racing. The only multi speed cars are touring cars and the Jato I know of.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
genolium

I am buying for the purpose of off roading and bashing. I'm not sure about the race scene here in Adelaide. The ebay items i was looking at include:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NITRO-GAS-RC-...742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RC-NITRO-GAS-...742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-8-NITRO-RC-...742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-R-C-NITRO-GA...742.m153.l1262

Any opinions and advice on these items would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 PM
genolium

Here are others i have found from Australian online retailers.

http://rcfactoryoutlet.com/Items/940...ONSTER%20TRUCK

http://rcfactoryoutlet.com/Items/941...ONSTER%20TRUCK

http://rcfactoryoutlet.com/Items/091...%204WD%20TRUCK

http://rcfactoryoutlet.com/Items/beh...ONSTER%20TRUCK
Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Druss

every single one you listed is a "no name" brand. Don't you have access to HPI, Associated, Traxxas, Losi, thunder tiger... etc?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM
genolium

Just looking for some advice on these trucks because of the cost.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Those are hsp, exceed, and redcat trucks. They're all the same just different names on the trucks. I own one. I love it. Go to the redcat forum in this site, they'll tell u all you want to know about these trucks. People here will tell you they're crap because they own all the name brand cars/trucks, but if your really interested in these trucks go to the redcat, exceed, or himoto forum, again they're all the same trucks.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Brett185

I also meant to tell you that these guys are right when it comes to ebay. Becareful, once you decide what vehicle you want ( no matter what brand it is ) be sure to research it to find the best deal. I have a friend who got ripped off a couple months ago on his r/c. He paid about $50 more on ebay than what he could have gotten it for on another site. Just keep in mind that all r/c's break.....period..... that's the way this hobby is. It doesn't matter wether it's name brand or off brand, sh#t breaks. If you hit something at 40+mph, sh#t breaks. If you hit something in your real car at 40+mph...what happens?......sh#t breaks.....that's the nature of this hobby.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 PM
nubzorz

well if ur just getting into the hobby those trucks arent two bad i actually bought pretty much the same truck for my first nitro rc and its still running strong i dont see anything bad about it except for the brand name but mine runs well and is pretty good and redcat stocks plenty of replacment parts for them
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 AM
hchou

Another thing to keep in mind is availability to spare parts. When you're bashing, things break. So I think another thing to consider is your source of spare parts. If you have a local guy that sells spare parts, I would recommend buying whatever brand you can afford from that local guy. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of shipping costs + wait times. 2 speed transmission is pretty cool. Just hearing the thing change gears somehow makes the bashing experience more enjoyable. I could probably have a car with one gear that is just as fast as a 2 speed transmission, but for some reason, having 2 gears and hearing it shift makes the 2 speed tranny more enticing. But you know us Americans...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Chris_RC

Stay away from those Redcat/Exceed cars. Numerous people including a friend got one and even I couldnt deal with the problems with the engine and the overall quality of the car.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Druss

As long as you're aware that they are cheaper for a REASON then go ahead. Sure things break and don't let anyone of these guys that own those trucks try to convince you they wouldn't trade them in for a good name brand if they could afford it.

If that's all you can afford then it's all you can afford. Personally, I'd suggest you just get started with a 1/10 electric then but that's entirely up to you. I also have a few friends with no name brands and sure they run but stupid parts were breaking like switches and servo arms and throttle/brake rods... etc. The general level of quality on a chinese knockoff is poor. I agree that things break on all RC vehicles but they shouldn't break from normal use.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 AM
genolium

The one thing i was concerned of was quality. I approached my local hobby shop and they have steered me towards a hyper 7 truggy, any comments on the vehicle??? They also have a racing class at the store which really entices me now rather than bashing!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"As long as you're aware that they are cheaper for a REASON then go ahead. Sure things break and don't let anyone of these guys that own those trucks try to convince you they wouldn't trade them in for a good name brand if they could afford it."

The above comment may be true for some but their is a lot of guys in the bonzer thread who can afford "name brand" but stick with their bonzers and spend money modding them and they hold up well...Mine has over 300 full runs on it and nothing major other then a gear swap after a couple hundred runs.I am not saying that you should get a knock off i just find the above statment a little insulting....I own both a Firestorm and a bonzer and sure the firestorm is a better rc then the bonzer but hey i paid $99 for the bonzer and it runs close to 30 mph and their is a boatload of parts for it as it is a TL01 clone....Ok Im done
Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: genolium

The one thing i was concerned of was quality. I approached my local hobby shop and they have steered me towards a hyper 7 truggy, any comments on the vehicle??? They also have a racing class at the store which really entices me now rather than bashing!
I haven't used this vehicle, but OFNA makes decent cars/trucks. Given the price of the others you had listed this one would be the best choice. Its not that much more expense or even less expensive that many you listed and since he sells it he probably stocks parts for it. You really need to watch which non-brand name car you get. If nothing else getting parts can be difficult. Some of the cheaper ones like exceed and redcat are getting better with parts support but you still need to be careful and do your research.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
genolium

In my price range i have found a few other vehicles to my liking, Kyosho DBX, DST, and DBX also Traxxas Nitro Rustler, the HPI Nitro Firestrom and Thunder tiger ST-1 are there any recommendations on these, i would like to race them and be competitive!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
WD-40

HPI Firestorm, get it now!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a Firestorm and love it, you could call me a bit of an HPI fanboy I guess. Ive owned several HPI products like the Savage, RS4, and their 1/18 touring car and never been disappointed with anything from them. If your LHS cant get you parts you can always order from HPI directly and Id say get a new hobby shop too.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

"As long as you're aware that they are cheaper for a REASON then go ahead. Sure things break and don't let anyone of these guys that own those trucks try to convince you they wouldn't trade them in for a good name brand if they could afford it."

The above comment may be true for some but their is a lot of guys in the bonzer thread who can afford "name brand" but stick with their bonzers and spend money modding them and they hold up well...Mine has over 300 full runs on it and nothing major other then a gear swap after a couple hundred runs.I am not saying that you should get a knock off i just find the above statment a little insulting....I own both a Firestorm and a bonzer and sure the firestorm is a better rc then the bonzer but hey i paid $99 for the bonzer and it runs close to 30 mph and their is a boatload of parts for it as it is a TL01 clone....Ok Im done
I didn't mean it as insulting but as in all things it's a matter of cost. Not just what something costs and whether it's affordable but also what you're willing to pay for it. I personally can afford say a 1:1 BMW but I find them overpriced for the options so I own an Infiniti G35. I find that it's a better value for the money but to be honest, if they had been the same price I would own the BMW. Same thing applies to RC and pretty much everything else. I'd love a new brushless electric 8ight and I can afford it... but I probably won't get one unless I find a good deal on a used one.

This is everyone ones own personal decision but like I said, almost every one with a lower end rc car/truck would swap it straight up for a name brand if it was offered. Maybe the word "afford" was the wrong one to use...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 PM
FloridaDude

HPI Hellfire
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
genolium

No offence taken at all. I know wat i wanna spend i just wanna spend it wisely. I have decided on a HB D8, looks like a great toy and i found a club that takes all types of 1/8th buggies, and they run state and national championships. I'm just gonna wait till the AUD gets a lil stronger again(can't find an aussie retailer) if it happens, f**n financial crisis!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
FloridaDude

the D8 is amazing you wont be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.