Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savox Servo's Suck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
BlueBorderRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savox Servo's Suck

My futaba striped the only plastic gear in it this weekend while racing with other 1/8 scale buggies. It was about 5 months old anyway so I replaced it with a Savox sc-0251mg servo. The Savox was installed to my rc8.2e, I turned left, then right and pop! This is what happened. It broke in 10 seconds.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:32 PM
BlueBorderRC

Well at least Savox offers spare parts to fix the servos. I got the case for $7 and repaired it. It was mounted with rubber spacers in between the tab and the chassis this time so it's holding up so far. Rants over, lol.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ouch that sucks... ive only ever seen that once before....

if its pumping out 13.0kg-cm/180.5oz-in and the EPA wasn't set.... no wonder it broke.

hey, at least u know its that powerful it can rip its own mounts off

might be worth just double checking the servo saver.... I would of thought that it would of prevented this from happening?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I think it might be operator error.......
With that damage, I'd make a post about how awesome Savox servos are. Only an amazing servo has the immense power to break its own casing.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 AM
BlueBorderRC

Originally Posted by phmaximus
ouch that sucks... ive only ever seen that once before....

if its pumping out 13.0kg-cm/180.5oz-in and the EPA wasn't set.... no wonder it broke.

hey, at least u know its that powerful it can rip its own mounts off

might be worth just double checking the servo saver.... I would of thought that it would of prevented this from happening?
Originally Posted by collector1231
I think it might be operator error.......
With that damage, I'd make a post about how awesome Savox servos are. Only an amazing servo has the immense power to break its own casing.
Lol, yeah it's got enough power that's for sure. It's probably a good servo, at least my hobby shop stocks parts for it to be repaired. That's nice. After replacing the case on it I remounted it this time with rubber spacers filling the gap between the tabs and the chassis for support. It works fine now. I used a setting on the transmitter to reduce the turning distance to minimize pressure on the servo from over extending. This is my first Savox, so we'll see how it holds up, just had a rough start.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
beamcat

Well, they are ok servo. After long use they do develop some play. But it is ok for throttle as the throttle is under constant pressure by the throttle return spring anyway.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are also power hungry. Your receiver pack will not last as long as with the Futaba.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. I hate to say it, but Savox servos do suck, not for the reason the op mentioned, I expect that was an accidental weakness from the plastic manufacturing process, it happens. The reason they suck is the power draw. They drain receiver packs like nothing, and electric cars require separate BECs to avoid browning out of the ESC, which is just a PITA.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been reading that.... Im keen to know more... is across the board with savox servos? Are they all like that?
generally speaking is there a better servo for the same price or cheaper? Some of the other brands can get very expensive... Just saying
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I've been reading that.... Im keen to know more... is across the board with savox servos? Are they all like that?
generally speaking is there a better servo for the same price or cheaper? Some of the other brands can get very expensive... Just saying
I believe that all of them pull more than they should, but its the high power ones that make ridiculous demands of the electronics, particularly the very high speed and torque ones. I had these problems with the 1256 and 1258 servos, they made all my castle ESCs go nuts until a BEC was installed, but I can't speak personally for the others.

As for being something better for the price...that's a matter of opinion. Essentially, spec wise, no there isn't under most circumstances, but if you're willing to go up to around the 100 buck mark, there are some much better servos. They cleverly filled a price niche with the right specs.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Scottgir

Originally Posted by Foxy
I believe that all of them pull more than they should, but its the high power ones that make ridiculous demands of the electronics, particularly the very high speed and torque ones. I had these problems with the 1256 and 1258 servos, they made all my castle ESCs go nuts until a BEC was installed, but I can't speak personally for the others.

As for being something better for the price...that's a matter of opinion. Essentially, spec wise, no there isn't under most circumstances, but if you're willing to go up to around the 100 buck mark, there are some much better servos. They cleverly filled a price niche with the right specs.
Yes, you had servos that are notorious for drawing power paired up with esc's that are notorious for not supplying it.

I think Savox are great for their money. With how good lipos are for rx packs or in electrics that have a good enough esc (Not that castles aren't good enough, but their internal BEC's stink) I think Savox are some of the best servos you can buy.